0 to 62 in 9.4 seconds

Chazzy

:
2011 Audi S4
I just finished reading the review on the diesel and I have to say I'm disappointed with the performance. I would have thought that double the torque and a few more horsepower would have more then made up for the extra 100 lbs. I can't be the only one who was hoping for some more zoom zoom along with a higher towing rating for the oil burner. Let's hope those figures change when and hopefully if it comes to the States.

I just finished reading the review on the diesel and I have to say I'm disappointed with the performance. I would have thought that double the torque and a few more horsepower would have more then made up for the extra 100 lbs. I can't be the only one who was hoping for some more zoom zoom along with a higher towing rating for the oil burner. Let's hope those figures change when and hopefully if it comes to the States.

Read my thread regarding reviews on diesel. The 0 to 62 speed might come off as the same figure, but it's how it feels when you drive that counts.

I am due to drive diesel on Saturday, so you'll hear it from me directly.
But in the meantime, the dealer I spoke with said Mazda provided training yesterday on the diesel launch date.

Mazda tried to convince them that performance was the similar (no doubt using the same 0-62/0-100 figure you quoted). But he said in practice, the difference was significant.

His words: chalk & cheese

The diesel was a MUCH better vehicle.

In Australia and Japan, diesel was expected to be about 10% of sales.
So far the figure in Japan in 75% of sales, and pre-sales of the diesel in Australia look like proving it's also going to go that way.

It was thought that because diesel isn't available on the bottom model in Australia, that the petrol sales would be massive. But so far, sales of entry model have accounted for about 10% of sales.

Read my thread regarding reviews on diesel. The 0 to 62 speed might come off as the same figure, but it's how it feels when you drive that counts............

Mazda tried to convince them that performance was the similar (no doubt using the same 0-62/0-100 figure you quoted). But he said in practice, the difference was significant.

I agree wholeheartedly with inodes. Even if Mazda isn't fudging the acceleration numbers (I believe they are), the diesel will do it much more easily and without the feeling that you're flogging the engine to get there.

The other benefit of the diesel will be the low RPM torque that will offset the fact that the transmission is always trying to find that higher gear. My one knock against the gas CX-5 was that when cruising at 45mph, it felt like it had no power because it was in fuel saving mode. The diesel's torque will reduce, and likely eliminate, that feeling. I, for one, can't wait.

Looking forward to your review. I really hope it puts my worries at ease. I also can't wait to see what kind of real world mileage you get.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but hope to shed some light on this:
Torque is the twisting force of the engine, and Horsepower is the ability of the engine to perform work. In simple terms : Torque x Rpm = HP

Assume you have two cars with the same weight and horsepower, and one happens to have double the torque than the other. In a 0-60 test, both cars will turn up very similar numbers.

When you merge onto the highway or drive in the canyons, are you banging off the rev limiter in every gear? If not, the 0-60 numbers don't have much meaning to you. If like most people, you shift well before hitting the redline, the high-torque car will be much faster. It will respond better to passing in top gear. Best of all, you can effortlessly "surf" the torque curve in the canyons without having to furiously row the stick to keep the engine boiling.

In short - the diesel engine won't turn in fancy numbers on a racetrack or impress a hooligan driver, but it will perform better in everyday driving.

I was disappointed in the 0-60 times for the gas engine as well at 9.1 seconds. I realize that CU doesn't do the rev to 5K and drop it into gear for their test but, a more normal mash the peddle from a full stop. I'm not a hard off the line abuser but, I would have preferred better acceleration and would trade a few miles per gallon to get it. My hope is that Mazda will Skyactiv the 2.5L engine before I'm ready to trade my CX7 in two years. Ed

None of the CX-5's with any engine or tranny configuration are high performance vehicles. To me this comes as no surprise. But all configurations are recording class-leading fuel efficiency, very important to be competitive in compact SUV market.

Im a few days away from ordering the cx-5. But after reading about power...I like to zip around those darn trucks on my drive and be able to get out of the way quickly!

Has anyone had to drive up some steep freeway overpasses? Are you going to be stuck in the slow lane? How bad is the power? Are you all saying " I think I can, I think I can" ?

Makes me wonder if I should just get the regular Mazda 3 for now.

Im a few days away from ordering the cx-5. But after reading about power...I like to zip around those darn trucks on my drive and be able to get out of the way quickly!

Has anyone had to drive up some steep freeway overpasses? Are you going to be stuck in the slow lane? How bad is the power? Are you all saying " I think I can, I think I can" ?

To me it is more that adequate, I'm not seeing all that much difference from my 2.3L Mazda 3 on the steep inclines here, but you have to be willing to floor the gas pedal otherwise the automatic transmission has a tendency to be a little slow to downshift if you leave it in auto mode. But it's not a race car that's for sure.

If you can test drive it in those conditions, you'll be able to see by yourself.

Press the gas pedal harder.

Just test drive it. For the automatic, I like the manual mode - you can go all the way to redline, and shifting as you wish. The sound is very nice at high rpm. Although, keep it reasonable during the breakin period.

If original 1960's VW Beetles can still merge onto highways with no real issues, a 2012 CX-5 will be able to do it just as confidently. I personally have had no issues with merging or overtaking - power output is fine. It doesn't take a Corvette ZR1 to merge properly - rest assured any car will do it.

There are tons of cars that have a lower performance profile on the road. For example, when the ford tarus came out it had a 140hp v6 push rod engine in a heaver car and it was the highest sold model for several years, many of them are still on the road, they later came out with a twin over head cam that made 200hp in the higher trim model but continued to sell the base 140hp engine until at least 2006 - it is not a safety issue. That said you have to be happy with it...

Not to mention the most popular hybrid (by far) sold in the US, the Toyota Prius.

I'm curious what the average German car's horsepower is considering you can drive 200mph on the Autobahn? Does everyone there own 300hp vehicles?

Last edited:
Back