CX-70 Issues?

For those of you who have the CX-70 can you let us know if the issues reported in the CX-90 forum have been fixed in this release?

TIA

I own a CX70, and am not sure exactly what issues you're referring to? Can you be specific about what you'd like to know? I think the CX70 is an amazing car (read my review post for my thoughts).

I own a CX70, and am not sure exactly what issues you're referring to? Can you be specific about what you'd like to know? I think the CX70 is an amazing car (read my review post for my thoughts).

Assembly issue could cause the steering system to lose power assist, fault with the forward collision warning system, CX-90 has been recalled for a steering issue that could produce an abrupt increase in steering weight, Low speed phantom braking issue, SUV could go into a failsafe mode that leaves drivers stranded on the road, while the CX-90 hybrid's and Mazda3's cameras could flicker.

These are a few that I was able to find online...

Assembly issue could cause the steering system to lose power assist, fault with the forward collision warning system, CX-90 has been recalled for a steering issue that could produce an abrupt increase in steering weight, Low speed phantom braking issue, SUV could go into a failsafe mode that leaves drivers stranded on the road, while the CX-90 hybrid's and Mazda3's cameras could flicker.

These are a few that I was able to find online...
I've certainly had no such issues whatsoever. If there was a recall for the CX90, one can be pretty much assured since they are pretty much the same car, the CX70 without a 3rd row and the CX70 being newer, any such issues were resolved before they started delivering CX70s to dealerships around the world. The way I see it, the CX70 is a brand new model, but has been through its teething in the CX90 for a year now.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls is handy for checking on what may apply, looking at Recalls and Communications. For instance, here's a check on 2024 Mazda CX:
1719259245345.png

1719259324283.png

Recalls are true Safety recall items. Other things will be picked up under "Manufacturer Communications" - some of those will be general maintenance notes, others will be along the lines of customer service programs - necessary fixes that are not truly designated as Safety (formal US approaches as to how things are categorized).

Note that while NHTSA isn't returning the CX-70 in the list (as of right now), some of the nominal CX-90 MHEV items in Manufacturer Communications do explicitly state that the '25 CX-70 is an affected model.

Here's the set of Recall items against the '24 CX-90 MHEV (click the "+" to see more information on any of them). The Recalls all call out 2024 CX-90, not 2025, so I expect thy have been cut into the CX-70 (or else, for the latest one at least, NHTSA just hasn't logged an update from Mazda for 2025 vehicles).
1719259525734.png

1719259612761.png

Earlier recalls were for limited numbers of affected vehicles - only fairly small numbers had been shipped, later builds would pick up the fix in production. Newer '2024 Recalls (particularly the latest) may well end up applying to the CX-70. (the NHTSA web site sometimes has a bit of lag picking things up).

The Manufacturer Communications may well have some items that should end up in the CX-70. For instance (explicitly calls out the CX-70):
1719260406335.png

1719260469584.png

1719260562106.png

Or, and just follow along with me here.......once you buy a CX70, you download the MyMazda app and check there if your car is recalled for anything, like I just did and mine has not been recalled for anything. I'm not going to go crazy looking for issues I don't have, nor have any need for service. And if the day comes my car is recalled for something, I'm quite sure I'll be notified appropriately as mandated by law and/or check the app.

Some people like to know about what may have a fix coming out, or that something is at least acknowledged by Mazda even if there's not any planned change coming down the road, or to dig into things like the info on the Driver Personalization system.

An actual Recall is for equipment that poses a safety risk by itself or that otherwise causes the vehicle to not meet minimum safety standards. "as mandated by law" applies to a Recall, but not to all the other things that can go wrong with a vehicle.

1. Bad shocks, bouncy/noisy ride? Not a Recall.
  2. Engine injector failure, resulting in hydrolock of the combustion engine on an MHEV vehicle? Not a Recall (the electric section of the hybrid should let you pull over)
  3. Blind spot monitor flaking out - not a Recall (drivers are supposed to use their mirrors, things like BSM are "extras" beyond basic safety standards).
  4. Infotainment random broken functionality, navigation system breakage,... - not a Recall
A large number of the things people post about, saying "I see this as a safety risk", aren't a Recall. They're customer satisfaction program (or whatever a particular manufacturer chooses to call them) items, honestly covered by warranty, though whether/if a particular user will see something listed on their app (or get a letter) is much fuzzier.

Sometimes fixes (HW or SW) are flagged as "do with other service" (don't bring a car in, give the driver a loaner, just to perform that given fix). Some fixes may specifically state in the dealer bulletins that letters won't be sent to owners (again, the do-when-you-get-to-it kind of items). Some fixes may include the letters to owners, but again it's then up to the dealer to actually schedule it when/as they see fit (not a safety item, remember).

On top of the "maybe they'll tell you, maybe they won't" there's then the dealer side of things. Dealers are the ones who actually do the repairs. If a dealer has a choice between doing "regular" customer service activities (to paying customers, at market rates, with marked-up part prices), vs. warranty work, regular service is in their best financial interest.

Being an informed consumer is a good thing. Know what Mazda "owes" you in terms of identified fixes, be proactive if your dealer doesn't communicate or tries to waive-off valid warranty corrective repairs.

Last edited:
OK. Not going to argue with you. I don't look for things which might be. And if there is a recall, by law, Mazda has to notify me, not the dealer. Even if the dealer does any repairs. They are paid for their service by Mazda, not the customer.

I have had a Rhodium White turbo S Premium for just under three weeks. My wife and I have put over a thousand miles on it and so far everything works as it should. Driver personalization can be temperamental but overall it's a definite plus. Last year I test drove a CX-90 turbo preferred and disliked it a lot. I found the drive train to be rather unrefined, especially when compared our former 2023 CX-5 Signature. Mazda has worked some magic because the CX-70 drivetrain is VERY refined. The transmission is smooth and quick. The engine is like silk and silent unless you lean into it. The I-Stop is so smooth that most of the time I can't tell it's doing it's thing. And we I lean into it, it sounds a lot better. CX-70 is exactly what we've wanted. A bigger CX-5. And it's getting better gas mileage than the CX-5 did :)

I have had a Rhodium White turbo S Premium for just under three weeks. My wife and I have put over a thousand miles on it and so far everything works as it should. Driver personalization can be temperamental but overall it's a definite plus. Last year I test drove a CX-90 turbo preferred and disliked it a lot. I found the drive train to be rather unrefined, especially when compared our former 2023 CX-5 Signature. Mazda has worked some magic because the CX-70 drivetrain is VERY refined. The transmission is smooth and quick. The engine is like silk and silent unless you lean into it. The I-Stop is so smooth that most of the time I can't tell it's doing it's thing. And we I lean into it, it sounds a lot better. CX-70 is exactly what we've wanted. A bigger CX-5. And it's getting better gas mileage than the CX-5 did :)
The naysayers are going to be surprised. Mazda, knew exactly what it was doing with the CX70. I know a lot of people who simply have no interest in a 3 row SUV, but want the luxuriousness and inline 6 of the CX90. Two friends I know have already bought one. Another friend is negotiating for one right now. The CX70 is going to be a great seller. It's just too good to not be.

Recently picked up a ‘25 cx-70 turbo S.
Issues encountered so far:

Driver personalization not always confirming me and automatically sets me up as guest like it’s not even trying to confirm identity of who is driving. This should be programmed by the key and not some silly camera. Need to setup alternative appearances with sun glasses to see if it fixes it.

Occasionally music while in radio mode will have no audio even when switch to different FM settings. Fixed by witching to SXM or pandora and then going back to FM radio fixes this.

When switching to sports mode it takes anywhere from 3+ seconds (not instant).

When setting paddle switches to always on. Fix is to hold down the plus paddle shifter to get it back into normal Drive mode.

Shifter is poorly designed rather then the cx-5 easy to understand design to get car into gear, reverse (manual shift mode) versus the gear design in the CX70 & 90.

When exiting car, once I exit vehicle, it doesn’t always auto lock when walking away from car by factory set to 60 seconds with always having to manually lock the door with keys. Set to 30 seconds and 50:50 times is locks.

Have to unlock car to get the tailgate switch to open (near steering wheel). Poor design.

Wireless charging mat to narrow to fit my iPhone pro. I have the iPhone pro (not max).

To shallow center console storage! Even my old cx-5 had a deeper center console.

Cup holders not big enough to accommodate anything smaller the bottle water. And to close and blocking HVac screen and controls. Also, blocks center HVAC controls.

With most types of phone mounts to air vent, block access to HVAC making it near impossible to access without removing phone and mount.
*Have to remove to access the +\- for fan speed.
No indication on HVAC screen confirming AC is on without have to remove mount to confirm AC which is illuminated.

Long press on panoramic sun roof switch should be 3 seconds to open up the shade and 5 seconds to full open the shade and sunroof in one go.

Should be able to adjust climate controls when remotely starting the car from app. Also, should not cut ignition when opening driver doo. Should only cut if you try to hit brake prior to pushing start button.

Rear cup holders behind 2nd row. Reminds me of the cheap move by dodge near with manual roll up rear winds (freaking bean counters). Should have house power plug/power connector style in truck (bean counters again).

Should have footwell illumination like many premium SUV brands in the $50K+ price range.

Also believe Mazda has over estimated the HP and TQ. Considering many luxury suvs hav less power and smokes the CX-70 Turbo S trim in 0-60 tests.
*Mazda should have included launch control or at least fitted turbo with Dual ball bearing turbo/better match turbo for its High output model rather than just a better tune. Additionally upgraded other components as weep for the up price (~10k) for the tune. Also, upgraded brakes (brembo), larger rear wing, etc would have been nice differentiators over the standard non turbo s.

Last edited:

Driver personalization not always confirming me and automatically sets me up as guest like it’s not even trying to confirm identity of who is driving. This should be programmed by the key and not some silly camera. Need to setup alternative appearances with sun glasses to see if it fixes it.

Occasionally music while in radio mode will have no audio even when switch to different FM settings. Fixed by witching to SXM or pandora and then going back to FM radio fixes this.

When setting paddle switches to always on. Fix is to hold down the plus paddle shifter to get it back into normal Drive mode.

When exiting car, once I exit vehicle, it doesn’t always auto lock when walking away from car by factory set to 60 seconds with always having to manually lock the door with keys. Set to 30 seconds and 50:50 times is locks.

Have to unlock car to get the tailgate switch to open (near steering wheel). Poor design.

Wireless charging mat to narrow to fit my iPhone pro. I have the iPhone pro (not max).

To shallow center console! Even my old cx-5 had a deeper center console.

Cup holders not big enough to accommodate anything smaller the bottle water. And to close and blocking HVac screen and controls. Also, blocks center HVAC controls.

With most types of phone mounts to air vent, block access to HVAC making it near impossible to access without removing phone and mount.
No indication on HVAC screen confirming AC is on without have to remove mount to confirm AC which is illuminated.

Long press on panoramic sun roof should be 3 seconds to open up the shade and 5 seconds to full open the shade and sunroof in one go.

Should be able to adjust climate controls when remotely starting the car from app. Also, should not cut ignition when opening driver doo. Should only cut if you try to hit drake prior to pushing start button.

Other than that happy with my purchase.
Your comments just reinforce what I've heard about the interior of the CX90 being tight!

Just curious why you decided to pay "more" on CX70 vs CX90?

By more, I mean:
1) Same price for same trim compared to CX90 (no credit for 3rd row delete)
2) APR financing better for CX90
3) Leasing incentives better for CX90

Do not have any need for a third row. Would have gladly purchased a CX 50/CX five if it came with the turbo in-line six. But I definitely have need for a larger trunk. The trunk space in the CX five and 50 are a joke! Believe Mazda trunks are far too small but the CX 70 resolve that issue me. Plus the legroom and the ability to make adjustments for the rear seat. Bench was a seller for me to accommodate more comfort for people in the back seats.

Additionally, since you mentioned it, there is no reason why the CX 70/CX 90 are so closely priced. In fact in many markets, the CX 70 is being sold at a higher premium even though it’s only one year newer with less equipment (seats to accommodate 3rd row).

I do like the upgrades to the front rear facia, but feel that the CX 90 has a more classy front & rear end compared to the Honda Civic style fake vents on the front rear on the CX 70. I understand why Mazda differentiated to avoid confusion with CX-90.

Last edited:

To shallow center console! Even my old cx-5 had a deeper center console.

Long press on panoramic sun roof should be 3 seconds to open up the shade and 5 seconds to full open the shade and sunroof in one go.

Should be able to adjust climate controls when remotely starting the car from app. Also, should not cut ignition when opening driver doo. Should only cut if you try to hit drake prior to pushing start button.

Other than that happy with my purchase.
I agree that the personalization system is a bit odd. I have trained myself to just look at the Infotainment screen when I start the car and it recognizes me every time. It's not that different from Face ID on iPhone, so it works well, when it sees your face. I have used it with sunglasses and it worked.

I rarely switch modes for music as I set each station I like to Favorites and simply tap the favorites button to switch stations, which works quite well. I have noticed when I end a phone call, it can take a couple seconds for the music to come back. Not sure it's an issue, just the system switching to music isn't necessarily instant.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and it charges fine on the wireless mat in my CX70.

The cup holders hold the beverages I typically have. Not sure their size is an issue exactly.

No offense, but you using an Air Vent phone mount is not really an issue with the car. There are other ways you can mount a cell phone in a car, like maybe get a WeatherTech Cup Phone Holder.

The sunroof operates pretty much as it has on most other cars I've owned. One tap to slide the cover back and one tap to open the roof. There's no need to hold the buttons at all, so for me, pretty convenient operation.

I agree the app is pretty minimal in options. This is one area Mazda needs to improve.

Last edited:
Do not have any need for a third row. Would have gladly purchased a CX 50/CX five if it came with the turbo in-line six. But I definitely have need for a larger trunk. The trunk space in the CX five and 50 are a joke! Believe Mazda trunks are far too small but the CX 70 resolve that issue me. Plus the legroom and the ability to make adjustments for the rear seat. Bench was a seller for me to accommodate more comfort for people in the back seats.

Additionally, since you mentioned it, there is no reason why the CX 70/CX 90 are so closely priced. In fact in many markets, the CX 70 is being sold at a higher premium even though it’s only one year newer with less equipment (seats to accommodate 3rd row).

I do like the upgrades to the front rear facia, but feel that the CX 90 has a more classy front & rear end compared to the Honda Civic style fake vents on the front rear on the CX 70. I understand why Mazda differentiated to avoid confusion with CX-90.
For me, it was simple. I wouldn't buy a SUV with three rows. I have absolutely no need for one, ever. So the CX70 was the right choice.

Shifter is poorly designed rather then the cx-5 easy to understand design to get car into gear, reverse (manual shift mode) versus the gear design in the CX70 & 90.

To shallow center console storage! Even my old cx-5 had a deeper center console.

Long press on panoramic sun roof switch should be 3 seconds to open up the shade and 5 seconds to full open the shade and sunroof in one go.

Should be able to adjust climate controls when remotely starting the car from app. Also, should not cut ignition when opening driver doo. Should only cut if you try to hit brake prior to pushing start button.

Rear cup holders behind 2nd row. Reminds me of the cheap move by dodge near with manual roll up rear winds (freaking bean counters). Should have house power plug/power connector style in truck (bean counters again).

Should have footwell illumination like many premium SUV brands in the $50K+ price range.

Also believe Mazda has over estimated the HP and TQ. Considering many luxury suvs hav less power and smokes the CX-70 Turbo S trim in 0-60 tests.
*Mazda should have included launch control or at least fitted turbo with Dual ball bearing turbo/better match turbo for its High output model rather than just a better tune. Additionally upgraded other components as weep for the up price (~10k) for the tune. Also, upgraded brakes (brembo), larger rear wing, etc would have been nice differentiators over the standard non turbo s.
Half of those things are just personal preference.

I don't think Mazda overestimated the HP and TQ. Rather, the CX-70 is probably heavier, and tuned more towards fuel economy instead of raw acceleration. Also, some luxury brands like BMW underrate their published HP and TQ figures.

I agree that Mazda should have done a bit more to differentiate the Turbo S from the Turbo, like bigger brake rotors, a more aggressive Sport mode, and slightly wider wheels with more performance-oriented tires. Brembos and launch control aren't needed on a car like this, it's supposed to be a lower-cost, higher value alternative to actual luxury models.

Back