Class action settlement for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

I have a 2021 CX-9. I had a year and a half of free oil changes and brought it in telling them that it was burning oil. I was told that was normal for a new car especially one with a turbo charged engine. Like many others I keep oil in my car now because it is definitely burning it.
After receiving the postcard I called my dealership to schedule the repairs. Twice I was told I would receive a call back and didn’t. Finally when I spoke to the service manager I was told I would have to come in for an oil change. Then after driving 600-1000 miles I would bring the car back in for an oil consumption test. I told them that that is not what is stated in the post card I received. Does anyone know if that is true? Do I have to have that test done or is me saying it is burning oil enough?

What is explained on the card should be good enough. If the dealer is close to you, go there in person with the card and show the service manager. If they refuse or deflect, or if the dealership is far away, contact Mazda Corporate for assistance. They should definitely be aware of the lawsuit and the settlement, and they should be able to help facilitate the repair with that lazy dealership.

I have a 2021 CX-9. I had a year and a half of free oil changes and brought it in telling them that it was burning oil. I was told that was normal for a new car especially one with a turbo charged engine. Like many others I keep oil in my car now because it is definitely burning it.
After receiving the postcard I called my dealership to schedule the repairs. Twice I was told I would receive a call back and didn’t. Finally when I spoke to the service manager I was told I would have to come in for an oil change. Then after driving 600-1000 miles I would bring the car back in for an oil consumption test. I told them that that is not what is stated in the post card I received. Does anyone know if that is true? Do I have to have that test done or is me saying it is burning oil enough?
Not true. It is clearly stated on the postcard of the settlement that you can simply state that you needed to add oil between changes. You are not required to submit to an oil consumption test nor have a light on nor have a code in the PCM

⋯ Finally when I spoke to the service manager I was told I would have to come in for an oil change. Then after driving 600-1000 miles I would bring the car back in for an oil consumption test. I told them that that is not what is stated in the post card I received. Does anyone know if that is true? Do I have to have that test done or is me saying it is burning oil enough?
Even the related TSB Mazda released doesn’t require an “oil consumption test”! Only the Low Oil Level Warning Light on which will store a DTC code is required to replace the defective valve stem seals.

Even the related TSB Mazda released doesn’t require an “oil consumption test”! Only the Low Oil Level Warning Light on which will store a DTC code is required to replace the defective valve stem seals.

21 CX5 2.5T. I went in for a routine oil change 3 d after receiving the postcard and told the SM that I wanted the seals changed. He asked about oil consumption and I opened the tailgate to show him an oil bottle that reflected use of about 3/4 quart between changes. I've been adding ~ the same amount between changes since purchase 12/20. (I checked my oil every 2-3 weeks after the problem was first publicized). I preempted any consumption test discussion and said I was uninterested as it didn't make sense to allow my engine oil to get low enough for the light to come on. He readily agreed and I have an appointment for 6/3. He said they take 2-3 days for the job and provide a loaner. So it does seem to be a time consuming job.

If I had a lot of miles on mine to justify it (100K plus) I might make use of the opportunity and have the heads walnut blasted.

The notice says the remedy is available right now. The settlement has occurred meaning all parties agreed and it's just a formality that has to be ruled on by a court and made fact that all parties have agreed. See notice:
I went to the local Mazda Dealer with the settlement information. They told me to bring the car back with the low oil light on so they could see the code. Otherwise, they won't do anything. Mazda has known about the problem but doesn't plan to do anything about it. I sent an email to the settlement email, and they said they passed my comments on to Mazda. I asked what I could expect in next steps? Who would contact me regarding a fix. So far no response. The settlement is weak.

I went to the local Mazda Dealer with the settlement information. They told me to bring the car back with the low oil light on so they could see the code. Otherwise, they won't do anything. Mazda has known about the problem but doesn't plan to do anything about it. I sent an email to the settlement email, and they said they passed my comments on to Mazda. I asked what I could expect in next steps? Who would contact me regarding a fix. So far no response. The settlement is weak.
Which dealership?

The dealer is trying to evade the work. Often this happens because warranty work doesn't pay out at the same rate that non-warranty work does.

Do not rely on what the dealership says they will do, or what they have done. Call Mazda Corporate directly to explain the issue, confirm the terms of the settlement and to let the dealer know that you don't need to wait for a low oil light.

The dealership is counting on you to rest on your laurels, waiting for their call, so they can fit you in when it's slow. The settlement isn't weak, it's just that owners may have to be a little more proactive.

Mazda North American Operations will push away as many claims as possible because the repair is costly. You can check the oil level making sure it isn’t overfilled by Mazda dealer. And wait for the Low Oil Level Warning Light on and message displayed. Don’t add any oil and take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer ASAP. Take the related TSB with you and demand the dealer to replace valve stem seals.

21 CX5 2.5T. I went in for a routine oil change 3 d after receiving the postcard and told the SM that I wanted the seals changed. He asked about oil consumption and I opened the tailgate to show him an oil bottle that reflected use of about 3/4 quart between changes. I've been adding ~ the same amount between changes since purchase 12/20. (I checked my oil every 2-3 weeks after the problem was first publicized). I preempted any consumption test discussion and said I was uninterested as it didn't make sense to allow my engine oil to get low enough for the light to come on. He readily agreed and I have an appointment for 6/3. He said they take 2-3 days for the job and provide a loaner. So it does seem to be a time consuming job.
The way the settlement document is written has some subtle wording:

GET A VALVE STEM SEAL REPAIR
If the “Low Engine Oil Level” on your vehicle instrument cluster has illuminated before the regular oil change interval of 7,500 miles/1 year, you can go to or contact a Mazda authorized dealership and schedule a repair for the Valve Stem Seals right now. If the “Low Engine Oil Level” has not illuminated, you can still get a repair right now if your engine oil has been refilled (by the customer or the dealer) before the regular interval because the engine oil was too low. If neither of the above, you can bring your vehicle to a Mazda authorized dealership for a free-of-charge.

If you look at the postcard, it says this:

How do I get the settlement benefits? The Valve Stem Seal Repair Program is available now. ... If you have not refilled your oil, or your low engine oil light has not gone off before the recommended interval, you may schedule an oil consumption test. ...

So it looks to me that the dealers are trying to deny or ignore the statements that oil in fact has been refilled, and are giving a round around with the oil consumption test which simply wastes time!

It may be easier to remove some oil with the pump so that the light does come on, and head to the dealership with the "low oil" light lit as to take out any excuses.

The pump is only $4 this week-end!

Also, probably a piece of the thinner tube is needed so it goes through the dipstick hole, I had to couple this tube with the Harbor Freight pump to remove some excess oil from another car that was overfilled during an oil change:

I have my 21 CX5 Sig back from the dealer and am very pleased with the outcome after just a 25 mile test drive. They had it for 4 days but the actual replacement was done in slightly longer than 1 full day. My dealer/service manager was excellent in all respects. He indicated they had increasing numbers of 21 CX5Ts scheduled. I plan to monitor the oil levels every couple of weeks out of curiosity. A tip of my hat to T. Dahle in Murray. Utah.

Off topic: Received a loaner 24 CX50 SE and was able to drive several hundred miles (in-town, freeway, and winding canyon roads) to compare with my 21 CX5 Sig. I ignored anything powertrain related as the CX50 was NA. Bottom line: they are different vehicles and their road manners are only similar. The CX5 is notably above the CX50 in driving experience, ride, and build quality. Parts/surfaces are comparable but the fitment just seems better in my CX5. Doors and door handles simply feel less "tight" on the CX50. Also the driving position in the CX50 is too low for my tastes. Just an inch or two and different seat placement makes a big difference. I saw no space differences of note in the front. I wasn't impressed with the door cladding. I did like the CX50's looks, turn signal sound, the larger split console, and slightly more efficient space in the back. Despised the seat belt chime. The CX50 does ride much better than a RAV4, but is reminiscent IME. I'm sure happy to have my Sig back.

I have my 21 CX5 Sig back from the dealer and am very pleased with the outcome after just a 25 mile test drive. They had it for 4 days but the actual replacement was done in slightly longer than 1 full day. My dealer/service manager was excellent in all respects. He indicated they had increasing numbers of 21 CX5Ts scheduled. I plan to monitor the oil levels every couple of weeks out of curiosity. A tip of my hat to T. Dahle in Murray. Utah.
Does anything feel different during the usual driving? What's pleasing about the outcome?

Does anything feel different during the usual driving? What's pleasing about the outcome?
Nope. Everything behaves the same. I didn't expect a change (all was great prior) just hopefully no need to add oil between changes. Even though it was slightly less than a full quart/5k miles I can't imagine burning relatively small amounts of oil benefits the pistons/rings/cat, etc. I posted mainly to note my trouble free replacement experience with my dealer. Some previous posters appear to be not so fortunate. The CX5/50 comparison was an off topic fyi.

Last edited:
Was having the same problem at the dealership I go to. I got the Mazda Corp # 800-222-5500 and called which is the Mazda Customer Experience Center. I explained what the dealership was telling me and trying to make me keep driving until the oil light came on rather than checking to see if the error code was there. It took about a week after my discussion with the rep for the dealership to call me for an appointment to get the valve stem seal replacement done. The dealership was very nice to me and asked if I needed a car while they had mine. They said it should take 3 days to do the repair. My appointment is for June 20th so we’ll see how that goes. I would call the 800# above to get some action.

Long story but after never hearing back from the dealership I dropped by. I spoke with the service manager and she told me Mazda is requiring dealers to perform the oil consumption test. I explained that that is not what is stated in the documentation from the Class Action suit but she wouldn’t budge. She gave me a hard time for not getting my oil changed there etc. I told her that at the time of my first two oil changes at the dealership (which were free) I notified the service tech that I was burning oil and had to add oil as the light had come on. I was told more than once that that is normal for a new car with turbo. After my free oil changes I stopped going there. They told me that if the issue was more recent they wouldn’t have to perform the test etc. I asked if they could give me Mazda’s requirement for the test in writing and was told no. The “senior tech” also got involved in the conversation and said “you and I both know it’s not normal for a new car to burn oil. Ten minutes later he said that when the cars started coming in with the problem Mazda instructed them to say that it was normal. So I said if you know that it’s not normal you’re still ok telling your clients it is because Mazda told you to do so? His answer was Yes!
I left and called Mazda corporate. After a couple weeks of conversation the representative told me I would have to get the test done as I haven’t been there recently (not since the end of 2021) with an issue. So I asked her if she could send me documentation stating that Mazda is requiring an oil consumption test so that I could provide it to the class action attorneys. She told me she’d call me back. After a couple days they called and said they were able to obtain records of the light coming on from the car itself and that the dealership was notified that the oil consumption test is not necessary. Waiting to hear from them now.
In short, don’t back down. Ask for documentation of everything.
And in the event anyone is thinking of getting the repairs done at a dealership different from where they bought their car know that that dealership is not required to give you a loaner car.

Long story but after never hearing back from the dealership I dropped by. I spoke with the service manager and she told me Mazda is requiring dealers to perform the oil consumption test. I explained that that is not what is stated in the documentation from the Class Action suit but she wouldn’t budge. She gave me a hard time for not getting my oil changed there etc. I told her that at the time of my first two oil changes at the dealership (which were free) I notified the service tech that I was burning oil and had to add oil as the light had come on. I was told more than once that that is normal for a new car with turbo. After my free oil changes I stopped going there. They told me that if the issue was more recent they wouldn’t have to perform the test etc. I asked if they could give me Mazda’s requirement for the test in writing and was told no. The “senior tech” also got involved in the conversation and said “you and I both know it’s not normal for a new car to burn oil. Ten minutes later he said that when the cars started coming in with the problem Mazda instructed them to say that it was normal. So I said if you know that it’s not normal you’re still ok telling your clients it is because Mazda told you to do so? His answer was Yes!
I left and called Mazda corporate. After a couple weeks of conversation the representative told me I would have to get the test done as I haven’t been there recently (not since the end of 2021) with an issue. So I asked her if she could send me documentation stating that Mazda is requiring an oil consumption test so that I could provide it to the class action attorneys. She told me she’d call me back. After a couple days they called and said they were able to obtain records of the light coming on from the car itself and that the dealership was notified that the oil consumption test is not necessary. Waiting to hear from them now.
And in the event anyone is thinking of getting the repairs done at a dealership different from where they bought their car know that that dealership is not required to give you a loaner car.

This is so disheartening to read about. Dealerships need to take note - experiences like these are the reason most people don't want to go there for service unless they have to! You're 100% correct for getting documentation whenever possible, and firmly pushing back when they try to strongarm you. So far I haven't been given a hard time about not getting basic maintenance done at my local dealers. But if that day ever comes, they'll be getting a polite, but firm explanation for why I choose to DIY, why it is within my right according to the Owner's Manual, and how much time and money I have saved as a result. I'll be sure to speak a bit loudly as well, so other customers within earshot can hear.

Whew, what a crock. Sorry you're dealing with this. I've been satisfied with my dealer through 2 CX-5s and now a painless valve stem seal replacement. Counting my lucky stars.

In 2021, under 3k miles the oil light came on, we added oil to our cx5 signature 2.5 turbo. We heard turbos burn oil faster. Didn't turn on again u til 2 weeks ago (3 yrs later). I had my car checked and positive for CoVid, I mean transplant needed. They had my car over 1 week. So maybe the guy was learning on my car. I got it back last night and returned it this morning. A strong fuel smell filled the cabin. My poor car is around 33k miles and always garaged. I didn't want it washed after since I spent $500 on detail and ceramic coat that looked great. My car has a layer of caked dirt from construction near the dealership and being outside. The tech won't be in until Monday. Miss my turbo, the loaner doesn't compare.

Back