Dealer extended warranty. Worth it?

Why buy any warranty when one can afford it in worst case scenario.
We do that because the worst case scenario could bankrupt is ... i.e. medical in USA (outrageous expenses)

So, evaluate your own financial strength and decide what to do based on that.
Others' view points might not be a right one for you.

That said, please note that, ext. warranty carries a 50% profit margin (v.s. MSRP)
Big profit item for dealership.

Let us not talk about wheel/tire package. Big NO on that.
I am sure most of us can afford that in worst case scenario.

Expiration date 5/4/2034. Expiration miles 159,810. That is what the contract says
There is no legitimate company that offers this. If it's the dealers own BS warranty then they can make up anything they want because they won't cover it anyway. Not even Mazda's own CPO warranty is that long. If its a dealer only warranty then it's not worth the paper its printed on. Heck, even aftermarket warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on and you have to fight for anything to be covered and deceive with their own bogus definition of what mechanical breakdown means. The only worthwhile plan is the OEM Mazda/Toyota.

Why buy any warranty when one can afford it in worst case scenario.
We do that because the worst case scenario could bankrupt is ... i.e. medical in USA (outrageous expenses)

So, evaluate your own financial strength and decide what to do based on that.
Others' view points might not be a right one for you.

That said, please note that, ext. warranty carries a 50% profit margin (v.s. MSRP)
Big profit item for dealership.

Let us not talk about wheel/tire package. Big NO on that.
I am sure most of us can afford that in worst case scenario.
Please post the contract if you don't mind. Would love to see this.
I Will try to do this

There is no legitimate company that offers this. If it's the dealers own BS warranty then they can make up anything they want because they won't cover it anyway. Not even Mazda's own CPO warranty is that long. If its a dealer only warranty then it's not worth the paper its printed on. Heck, even aftermarket warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on and you have to fight for anything to be covered and deceive with their own bogus definition of what mechanical breakdown means. The only worthwhile plan is the OEM Mazda/Toyota.
I don’t know much about them

I Will try to do this
I Will try to do this
Company - Dealer General Warranty
Type - VSC Elite Exclusionary
$3,271.00
$100 deductible/repair
Expiration date 5/4/2034
Expiration miles 159,810
Validation period days 30
Validation period miles 1,000

Attachments

• Auto Warranty .pdf
    15.3 MB · Views: 29
Company - Dealer General Warranty
Type - VSC Elite Exclusionary
$3,271.00
$100 deductible/repair
Expiration date 5/4/2034
Expiration miles 159,810
Validation period days 30
Validation period miles 1,000
Terrible terrible most horrendous garbage I have ever read. Loopholes galore. Did you read this yourself? Not only that but the company has only been in existence for a little over a year. Good luck with that! You will never see a dime payout from them.

Cancel immediately here:

Last edited:
Terrible terrible garbage. Loopholes galore. Did you read this yourself? Not only that but the company has only been in existence for a little over a year. Good luck with that!

Cancel immediately here:

Terrible terrible garbage. Loopholes galore. Did you read this yourself? Not only that but the company has only been in existence for a little over a year. Good luck with that!

Cancel immediately here:

Thank you for your feedback. I have no trust in extended warranties

Thanks @ChristyH for posting that contract. Yep, as expected, they have 728 ways to Sunday NOT to pay a claim. Not only that, but YOU get to pay for all of the proof for them not to pay.

Also, note that you MUST have your car serviced commercially by a professional car servicing company.(you can't do anything yourself, not even change your own cabin air filter) .

A common practice for these types of companies is to hold your broken car hostage so long that you are forced to just fix it yourself to get it back on the road (which they hadn't "authorized" so won't reimburse you for later) . Such a scam.

Thanks again for sharing the contract particulars .

Agree with above...just too many ways for them not to pay and too many requirements & hoops you have to jump through to get them to pay. Which means, they will never pay.

No problem. The ONLY extended service contract you should consider is the genuine Mazda OEM one for used vehicles. Those are the least hassle and do pay out.
Endurance quoted me 4 year warranty for $6,816 then reduced.
Thanks @ChristyH for posting that contract. Yep, as expected, they have 728 ways to Sunday NOT to pay a claim. Not only that, but YOU get to pay for all of the proof for them not to pay.

Also, note that you MUST have your car serviced commercially by a professional car servicing company.(you can't do anything yourself, not even change your own cabin air filter) .

A common practice for these types of companies is to hold your broken car hostage so long that you are forced to just fix it yourself to get it back on the road (which they hadn't "authorized" so won't reimburse you for later) . Such a scam.

Thanks again for sharing the contract particulars .
I was at a mechanic shop today getting my car checked (all is good) they hate dealing w the warranty companies because they have to argue w them to pay

Endurance quoted me 4 year warranty for $6,816 then reduced.

I was at a mechanic shop today getting my car checked (all is good) they hate dealing w the warranty companies because they have to argue w them to pay
Endurance is aftermarket 3rd party, not OEM. I hope you laughed in their face at that quote from mars.

OMG that dealer is a straight out crook and liar. Cancel those immediately. Don't know the miles but you have a standard Mazda 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty from original in service date, regardless if you purchased it used or new. If you want an actual OEM Mazda extended service contract for much much less then I can recommend a dealer who I bought mine from for cheap. You are a female yes? They clearly took advantage of you in the situation. Its disgusting
Please let me know where to get the OEM Mazda Extended service contract. I just purchased a CX-5 CPO Turbo Signature with 6,600 miles. I purchased a 4k extended warranty at the closing, thought about it and cancelled the next day! The warranty was thru Allstate. I called Allstate and got someone that I couldn't even understand.

Please let me know where to get the OEM Mazda Extended service contract. I just purchased a CX-5 CPO Turbo Signature with 6,600 miles. I purchased a 4k extended warranty at the closing, thought about it and cancelled the next day! The warranty was thru Allstate. I called Allstate and got someone that I couldn't even understand.

I just researched this in anticipation of buying a used CX-5. What I've learned (I think) which others should feel free to correct:

OEM Mazda extended contracts used to be called Total Confidence. There's still stale information on the web about those now defunct plans. The OEM Mazda plan is now called the Mazda Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) sold by Mazda dealers but technically issued by Toyota Financial.

VSA plans come in at least two Flavors, Platinum and Gold. Gold plans include only covered parts. Platinum plans are exclusion plans, meaning they cover everything EXCEPT the excluded items. You want a Platinum plan.

VSA platinum plans come in two more types, new vehicle and used vehicle. A new vehicle VSA plan can be purchased from any Mazda dealer, PROVIDED THAT the car being covered is less than 3 years and 36,000 miles from its original in service date. This is true regardless of whether the vehicle is a CPO. These plans can extend coverage out to 10 years or 100,000 miles from the original in service date, NOT the warranty purchase date. So you're buying up to 7 years / 64k miles of coverage past the end of the original new car warranty.

If a vehicle has gone past the 3 years / 36k miles, it is eligible for the VSA used car warranty. The term of those warranties run from warranty purchase date, not in service date. You can buy a VSA used warranty from any dealer if the car is NOT a CPO. If the car is a CPO, you must buy the VSA platinum coverage as a "wrap" on the CPO warranty from the dealer that CPO'd the car.

Confused yet? I was.

In terms of where to buy these, two dealers I've seen mentioned elsewhere are Werner in NH and Herzog-Meier Mazda in Oregon. I spoke with Katelyn at Werner and she's awesome. Just call their general number and ask for her.

Mazda’s CPO warranty is great. What MY is yours?

I just researched this in anticipation of buying a used CX-5. What I've learned (I think) which others should feel free to correct:

OEM Mazda extended contracts used to be called Total Confidence. There's still stale information on the web about those now defunct plans. The OEM Mazda plan is now called the Mazda Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) sold by Mazda dealers but technically issued by Toyota Financial.

VSA plans come in at least two Flavors, Platinum and Gold. Gold plans include only covered parts. Platinum plans are exclusion plans, meaning they cover everything EXCEPT the excluded items. You want a Platinum plan.

VSA platinum plans come in two more types, new vehicle and used vehicle. A new vehicle VSA plan can be purchased from any Mazda dealer, PROVIDED THAT the car being covered is less than 3 years and 36,000 miles from its original in service date. This is true regardless of whether the vehicle is a CPO. These plans can extend coverage out to 10 years or 100,000 miles from the original in service date, NOT the warranty purchase date. So you're buying up to 7 years / 64k miles of coverage past the end of the original new car warranty.

If a vehicle has gone past the 3 years / 36k miles, it is eligible for the VSA used car warranty. The term of those warranties run from warranty purchase date, not in service date. You can buy a VSA used warranty from any dealer if the car is NOT a CPO. If the car is a CPO, you must buy the VSA platinum coverage as a "wrap" on the CPO warranty from the dealer that CPO'd the car.

Confused yet? I was.

In terms of where to buy these, two dealers I've seen mentioned elsewhere are Werner in NH and Herzog-Meier Mazda in Oregon. I spoke with Katelyn at Werner and she's awesome. Just call their general number and ask for her.
Great information about OEM Mazda extended warranty plan!

Be aware that even if an aftermarket extended warranty offered by the big company sometimes it still can go under. Once the company went under your extended warranty would become worth nothing. And it has happened several times before.

I personally prefer the self insurance on extended warranty. Of course do a good research on reliability data before making a new car purchase. Not going to get used car as there’re too many unknowns unless the car has clear maintenance record and still covered by new car warranty. Choose a vehicle with good reliability history is essential for longevity.

I'd check your VIN to see if your car is affected by the cylinder crack issue. I bought a 2019 Signature in November for my daughter (my wife now has that car and I just bought a new 2024 Signature for my daughter) I've never bought a warranty for a used car in my life. But I bought one for the 2019 (mainly because my daughter might be far away at college). I found out about the cylinder crack issue recently and boy am I glad I bought that warranty. But it is only for 3years (33 months left). Hoping that the class action suit settles with some sort of solution by warranty's end. That cylinder crack issue is the reason my wife took the 2019 and my daughter got the new one (wife was supposed to get a new car).

From the TSB
2019-2020 CX-5 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KF******830243 (produced before Jun. 9, 2020)

I'd check your VIN to see if your car is affected by the cylinder crack issue. I bought a 2019 Signature in November for my daughter (my wife now has that car and I just bought a new 2024 Signature for my daughter) I've never bought a warranty for a used car in my life. But I bought one for the 2019 (mainly because my daughter might be far away at college). I found out about the cylinder crack issue recently and boy am I glad I bought that warranty. But it is only for 3years (33 months left). Hoping that the class action suit settles with some sort of solution by warranty's end. That cylinder crack issue is the reason my wife took the 2019 and my daughter got the new one (wife was supposed to get a new car).
What class action?

Back