CX-5 Transmission slip or something else?

Hi everyone. Hope someone can give me a definite answer to this. Yesterday I was stepping down the fuel accelerator pedal to overtake a car at a very close distance, but the rpm spike to 5k with the loud engine revved only to find out the speed is still the same. It's just like you are in neutral gear trying to rev. The car was just 9 months old. Was it the car system or the transmission slip? This only happens once. Thank you

Is it a NA or Turbo? How did it return to normal operation? I assume you took your foot off the gas.
After you pressed the accelerator again did it return to normal?

If you did not accidentally drop it into neutral then there's something wrong. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order but if it's not doing it then more than likely they won't find anything.
It's possible a code was stored. Won't hurt having the dealer look at it.

Is it a NA or Turbo? How did it return to normal operation? I assume you took your foot off the gas.
After you pressed the accelerator again did it return to normal?

If you did not accidentally drop it into neutral then there's something wrong. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order but if it's not doing it then more than likely they won't find anything.
It's possible a code was stored. Won't hurt having the dealer look at it.
It's NA. I foot off the pedal and slightly depress the pedal again to have it running back to the usual speed without changing any gear I believed. It was kind of feeling like it was just not wanting to downshift. Yeah, Next month my services are due, and will ask the dealer. Thank you

Why not ask the dealer now? They may require you to set up an appt to come in so they can diagnose it anyway. Better to get them to investigate now, so they have a chance to earn the money you're planning to give the service dept.

I'd just call them and say "I have some maintenance coming up that I'd like you to take care of, but before we schedule that, I wanted to see if you could look into this issue that I had." If they know they have an opportunity to earn more of your money, they may be more "enthusiastic" about troubleshooting/diagnosing your issue.

It's NA. I foot off the pedal and slightly depress the pedal again to have it running back to the usual speed without changing any gear I believed. It was kind of feeling like it was just not wanting to downshift. Yeah, Next month my services are due, and will ask the dealer. Thank you
What you describe is kinda normal operation with the exception of the rpm's spiking to 5k. There's certain dead spots in the rpm range where you have to really push the accelerator to get it to downshift. Gently nudging the pedal won't do it.
I'd still get it checked, at least there will be a record if you run into trouble down the road.

Sounds like the AT just shifted gears down and the RPM followed at the same vehicle speed. Normal to me.

Why not ask the dealer now? They may require you to set up an appt to come in so they can diagnose it anyway. Better to get them to investigate now, so they have a chance to earn the money you're planning to give the service dept.

I'd just call them and say "I have some maintenance coming up that I'd like you to take care of, but before we schedule that, I wanted to see if you could look into this issue that I had." If they know they have an opportunity to earn more of your money, they may be more "enthusiastic" about troubleshooting/diagnosing your issue.
Lol. You are right, but anyway I already schedule the appointment for service on next month. Just lazy to make an extra trip ☺️.

What you describe is kinda normal operation with the exception of the rpm's spiking to 5k. There's certain dead spots in the rpm range where you have to really push the accelerator to get it to downshift. Gently nudging the pedal won't do it.
I'd still get it checked, at least there will be a record if you run into trouble down the road.
You are right. Today I tried hard again to replicate the symptom, which drive 2 hours with sudden acceleration never happened again. The shift is smooth like butter. It make me wonder will it be the system yield the shifting because of safety reason 🤔. Anyway definitely will have dealer look at it.

Sounds like the AT just shifted gears down and the RPM followed at the same vehicle speed. Normal to me.
I more realistically believed it still stay at the same higher gear. Because if I was sudden acceleration is supposed to downshift to give the power. But now it just stay the same speed and only RPM was spike high. It was just like acceleration on the ICE. After release & I depressed pedal again, but it's the same gear before is operated and the speed get higher on momentum. I wonder if this safety feature on Mazda had been triggered because I was about 2 meters away from the car in front of me before overtook.

Back