Rear Shock absorber [STUCK]

Hi all,

First time posting here

I have a cx5 15’ and have been trying to replace the rear shocks but I just failed miserably. To access the bottom bolt on my vehicle, I have to remove the coil spring and lower the knuckle. I got the bolt and the washer off no problem. I then went to slide the shock off but it literally would not come off. After trying for an hour I gave up and put everything back together. Are the two boots on each side suppose to be seized to the shock?

Attachments

• BC265F47-E996-468D-BDF9-AB125A5CE63C.jpeg
    BC265F47-E996-468D-BDF9-AB125A5CE63C.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 513
  • 060E5D1F-27B5-4802-865F-941ED15C463C.jpeg
    060E5D1F-27B5-4802-865F-941ED15C463C.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 957
  • DA431751-C830-4D4C-A7BA-EEE7C6256877.jpeg
    DA431751-C830-4D4C-A7BA-EEE7C6256877.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 544
Could it be the angle? Can you compress it a bit so the bolt is perfectly 90*?
Will try it out later this week. Honestly I tried compressing it and it didn’t work. May be I need to hit it with a hammer aswell while it is compressed. If I can’t, I’m probably just gonna return the shocks and wait till my stock ones start malfunctioning.

Can you take a picture of the new shock? I want to see if there are the "boots" on the new one. Spray some penetrating oil and whack with a rubber mullet. Good luck

Can you take a picture of the new shock? I want to see if there are the "boots" on the new one. Spray some penetrating oil and whack with a rubber mullet. Good luck
The new ones don’t have boots which is why I think I have to reuse the boots.

Attachments

• 10B3F7ED-A907-4035-9C8D-428470196555.jpeg
    10B3F7ED-A907-4035-9C8D-428470196555.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 2383572C-FD96-4BC3-AF0F-694403C1C79C.jpeg
    2383572C-FD96-4BC3-AF0F-694403C1C79C.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 743B4047-0E63-4D15-A861-F3123F082E74.jpeg
    743B4047-0E63-4D15-A861-F3123F082E74.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 206
I think the boots might just be there to protect the bushing? You can also try this.. unbolt the top, compress the shock & strap it down, and wiggle the shock off.

Some ideas.

Some ideas.

A couple people say to remove the 8mm hex but a couple then say that it is dangerous. Even if I were to remove the hex the shock will still stuck. Ahhhhhh

I agree with Silly Wabbit: Based upon your photos, it looks like the angle of the shock is preventing any sliding off of the threaded bolt. I think you must get the bolt to be parallel with the shock mount hole.

Hi all,

First time posting here

I have a cx5 15’ and have been trying to replace the rear shocks but I just failed miserably. To access the bottom bolt on my vehicle, I have to remove the coil spring and lower the knuckle. I got the bolt and the washer off no problem. I then went to slide the shock off but it literally would not come off. After trying for an hour I gave up and put everything back together. Are the two boots on each side suppose to be seized to the shock?
I assume you did remove rear anti-sway bar link and coil spring for easier access and removal of the rear shock absorbers. If you watch felixd’s video and you would need to remove the top 2 nuts on the rear shock absorber first so you won’t have that angle people mentioned showing in your picture to remove the bottom end along with the shock top mount which is normally missing from after-market shock absorbers.

Video Install Coilover Mazda CX 5

And here’s another helpful discussion:

CX-5 Strut/Shock replacement

Hi all,

First time posting here

Do you think by using a Reciprocating Saw or Angle-Grinder you could cut the old shocks away safely?

Using something like tie-down strap(s)/spring compression tool to retain anything that might have and released stored energy (like a compressed strut spring).

PB Blaster is great for loosening stuck and seized nuts, bolts, and any other rusted/seized-up stuff.

So I just replaced my rear shocks this weekend and had a hell of a time getting the bottom mount off the stud on the hub. I tried backing out the stud with the 8mm hex but it rounded. If that is the case, I wanted to share how I got the bottom mount off in case anyone else runs into this.

First, you need a form of metal cutting tool. I used an angle grinder with a 1/8" disc. For the cuts, I made two cuts on the outer metal tube of the bottom mount. The front cut is a little tricky cause there's a lot of arms and axles in the way but it wasn't too bad. The rear is easily accessible though. This allowed me to remove the shock itself, but the rubber bushing and inner metal tube of the mount were still there attached to the stud:

PXL_20220708_155906984.jpg

Then I was able to remove the rubber bushing with some box cutters which easily came off. Now the inner metal tubing of the bottom shock mount just remains on the stud. I was able to get a pipe wrench on it and when i turned it, the whole stud ended up backing out. Once I got the stud out, I took it over to my vice and I carefully (without damaging threads) made two cuts on the inner metal tubing of the mount in order to get it off the stud:

PXL_20220708_183640959.jpg

You can see how the threads of the stud dig into the mount and cause it to seize up. A pretty stupid oversight on Mazdas part. Looking at parts diagrams online for these studs, it looks like they now just use a bolt with a larger head on it. If I would've known ahead of time, I would've ordered these and replaced the original studs with these instead of having to cut the mount off the stud.

Anywho, I then cleaned up the studs with a wire brush and reinstalled it into the wheel hub and installed my new shocks and moog endlinks :cool:

PXL_20220708_170810272.jpg

(good ole michigan under carriage)

I just had mine replaced. Some recommend removing the stabilizer bar and/or control arms. My mechanic drove the mounting stud out. I don't know how much trouble that was, but I'll recommend a tall nut or threaded tube to reduce damage to the end of the stud.

Back