Red color chipping concerns

Hello! I am getting a mazda cx5 and I was thinking about the red color. I have read some comments regarding “chipping’’.

Is that chipping terrible? Should I consider another color?

There are certain colors that show the stone chips more than others. There really is no difference with the color of the paint and chipping. If you drive on the highway, you're prone to get stone chips more so that if you are just driving around town at lower speeds.

Give yourself distance from the car in front of you and you'll find a reduction overall with chipping. That and stay a mile away from Gravel/Construction trucks of salters if you are in the northern climates.

There are certain colors that show the stone chips more than others. There really is no difference with the color of the paint and chipping.
^This.
At the parking lot at the store, look at the bumper and hood of cars - not even Mazdas. Notice how the chips stand ou on the various colors, white being the least dark colors including reds, more so

Agree that dark colors show chips, and the lighter the color, the less noticeable. Lately I have been trying out silver and white cars. I have, since 2006 used partial coverage PPF as insurance, except on a leased car. In that case, there were a few chips on the blue mica. Still noticeable, but not as noticeable as on dark colors like black, dark gray, dark blue, and I imagine red would be very noticeable.

PPF is expensive, maybe 800-1000 for a partial

guys, the issues with Soul Crystal Red and to a lesser extent, Machine Grey, are absolutely NOT caused by 'chipping' from rocks, etc. It is a problem with the paints/primer used and the painting process. The paint flaking tends to cluster in areas of direct airflow. My machine grey Mazda 6 had almost 200 flakes/chips on it when Mazda repainted it under warranty. But because they didn't strip it down to the metal and remove the primer, the flakes are coming back.

I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to which vehicles this happens to, but it does seem to be happening less now

I can only speak to my experience. I have a 2018 CX-9 with MGM paint. I know Japanese paint is softer and more susceptible to paint damage in general (compared to German paint), so I had PPF applied to the bumper, mirror caps, parts of the front fenders and part of the hood. The partial coverage was a mistake because the rest of the hood is unprotected. Also, the seam/edge of the PPF is visible.

For the first year of its life, the car was driven on highways pretty frequently. During that time, I started to notice some tiny chips on the unprotected part of the hood. I thought it may have been a paint problem. Life happened and we moved to an area where the car rarely sees a highway. As far as I can tell, since moving to this new area, there are no new chips on the unprotected areas. This leads me to believe that the main reason I have these chips in the first place is because I was traveling on high-speed, heavy traffic roadways.

IMO, if you'll be driving on highways, or if you find yourself behind trucks/semis/cars with no mudflaps often, get full PPF on the front clip of the car and you'll be good to go.

Notice that there were no flakes on the plastic bumper cover. If it were road debris, it would have been hitting the bumper area too. I work at a Mazda dealer and the general consensus is that it's a primer issue

IMG_20200128_111056.jpg
IMG_20200128_111120.jpg

Back