2017 CX-5 drl question

Something definitely wrong there.

When headlights set to auto in the garage, all lights (headlights, tail, number plate) should come on along with green light indicator on dash.

Maybe I didn't word it right. The headlights come on when in a garage when you start moving. The headlights stay on when leaving the garage, but the green indicator will go off. The headlights stay on when you come back to the garage, and the green indicator comes back on. The light intensity of the headlights never changes. Basically, no matter what, if you are moving your headlights are on at full intensity day or night.

Maybe I didn't word it right. The headlights come on when in a garage when you start moving. The headlights stay on when leaving the garage, but the green indicator will go off. The headlights stay on when you come back to the garage, and the green indicator comes back on. The light intensity of the headlights never changes. Basically, no matter what, if you are moving your headlights are on at full intensity day or night.

Sorry about that. Then DRL's are not working as they should

I wonder how many people are going to get pulled over for not having their tail lights on at night because of this. This seems like a serious safety issue if there is no measurable difference between "DRL" and full headlight light output.

I wonder how many people are going to get pulled over for not having their tail lights on at night because of this. This seems like a serious safety issue if there is no measurable difference between "DRL" and full headlight light output.

If they keep the setting on auto then not so many because from what I read this is still working even though DRLs won't just be on by themselves

Last edited:

Tail lamps are not effected they seem to be going on correctly with in auto mode.

So I decided to watch a few videos. I Must say, all front lights except the fogs seem to be on when in motion. And all close ups of the headlight showing just the drl have just the parking light illuminated along side. Those appear to be shots of a stationary car.

So I decided to watch a few videos. I Must say, all front lights except the fogs seem to be on when in motion. And all close ups of the headlight showing just the drl have just the parking light illuminated along side. Those appear to be shots of a stationary car.

Correct. Only way to get this picture is with the car parked. So are these the DRL's, or are the headlights the DRL's? And if you disable the DRL's, which one do you lose?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 668

Check out 0.46 to 0.55 mark of this clip. DRL's on, no headlights on or tailights

Correct. Only way to get this picture is with the car parked. So are these the DRL's, or are the headlights the DRL's? And if you disable the DRL's, which one do you lose?

attachment.php

What setting is the light stalk on for this picture?

Because it looks like these are your parkers due to your yellow side lights on.

That is taken with just parking lights on and car in park. If I were to drive off, the headlights would come on.

That is taken with just parking lights on and car in park. If I were to drive off, the headlights would come on.

All lights will come on even on parking lights setting? That's not right.

What is the purpose of having Auto -> Parkers -> Headlights let alone DRL's if the headlights just come on all settings?

All lights will come on even on parking lights setting? That's not right.

What is the purpose of having Auto -> Parkers -> Headlights let alone DRL's if the headlights just come on all settings?

Don't forget OFF. They also come on when set to off.:)

Check out 0.46 to 0.55 mark of this clip. DRL's on, no headlights on or tailights
That's Euro model. In Europe most countries have limitation on light intensity on DRLs and headlights would be too bright to be DRLs!

That's Euro model. In Europe most countries have limitation on light intensity on DRLs and headlights would be too bright to be DRLs!

Yes it is Europe but illustrates the point about DRL's working independently of main headlights

attachment.php
Since these GT Signature LED DRLs also serve as parking lights, they will be on along with front amber parking lights (same dual-filament 7444NA bulb as front turn signal according to Owner's Manual although we cant't see this in picture) and amber side-markers when the headlight switch at parking light (after Auto) and headlight position. I do believe US version 2017 CX-5 wired low-beam LED headlights with Signature LED DRLs together as the DRL, base on reports from 2017 owners here, hence if you change the vehicle DRL function setting to off (has to be done by Mazda dealer), you'll lose both Signature LED DRLs and low-beam LED headlights serving as DRL but those Signature LED DRLs still will be on when parking lights and headlights are on.

Last edited:
So in conclusion, bad decision by Mazda USA. Let your drivers who own the GT have the DRL's on by themselves!

Back