magnumP5's RX-7 Build Thread

Can you/have you already redone the grounding system? Idk how much it'll help, but I know HKS makes a great circle earth system but I don't know if they have one for the FC. Are the charging systems from the FD compatible for the FC? I don't know how different the motors are. For the RX-8, BHR makes a kit that uses GM LS coils that provide a great spark the only thing is that it leans it out and needs to be tuned.

Can you/have you already redone the grounding system? Idk how much it'll help, but I know HKS makes a great circle earth system but I don't know if they have one for the FC. Are the charging systems from the FD compatible for the FC? I don't know how different the motors are. For the RX-8, BHR makes a kit that uses GM LS coils that provide a great spark the only thing is that it leans it out and needs to be tuned.
Nope grounding system is still all stock - I just went through and cleaned up some things with a wire brush. As for grounding kits I'll probably just make my own using some decent quality 4 gauge speaker wire and some good terminals - no need to spend $$$ on a HKS unit. I may swap in an FD alternator (a simple re-wire), but there is one shop that offers re-wound FC alternators putting out significantly higher amperage that I'm considering. The only downfall is their customer service is severely lacking.

I won't be getting into the ignition system yet although when I do have my spare engine to work on it will consist of individual coil-on-plugs and a Haltech ECU :)

^4 ga power wire with your own connectors will probably be better than a grounding system you buy anyways.

Haltech, is there any advantage to using a Haltech over a Microtech LT10? I know Microtech makes their own ignition controllers for older rotaries.

Haltech, is there any advantage to using a Haltech over a Microtech LT10? I know Microtech makes their own ignition controllers for older rotaries.
The only thing I can truly say for certain is that I am more familiar with Haltech's structure than Microtech's. I have heard there are some limitations with the Microtech and rotaries but I can't verify what for certain.

Oh, hi there! Updates you say? The brakes are done (flush, pads and lines); feels so much better. Sorry, no pictures because my camera is dead. That's all for now!

Subbing. I want to follow this one. (<<< No negativity intended.)
Thanks!

So I just realized I haven't posted any updated pictures of the car in this thread. These are actually a little outdated (middle of April) but the only noticeable difference is the Sparco Torino II seat on the driver's side (not pictured); everything else is just brake work.

Attaching pictures because they are large!

Attachments

• CIMG0032 (2).JPG
    CIMG0032 (2).JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 245
  • CIMG0033.JPG
    CIMG0033.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 238
  • CIMG0034.JPG
    CIMG0034.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 209
Thanks!

So I just realized I haven't posted any updated pictures of the car in this thread. These are actually a little outdated (middle of April) but the only noticeable difference is the Sparco Torino II seat on the driver's side (not pictured); everything else is just brake work.

Attaching pictures because they are large!

Awesome! Man those tires are freakin beefy, lol. Crazy how much beefier a 225/50R16 is vs a 225/45R16... Lookin forward to test fittin those! ;)

Awesome! Man those tires are freakin beefy, lol. Crazy how much beefier a 225/50R16 is vs a 225/45R16... Lookin forward to test fittin those! ;)
You know, I originally wanted 245/45R16's on there, but after test fitting some 225/50R16's I didn't think it would be possible, which is strange because I have seen that exact combination on another car. The concern is the clearance between the spring perch and the tire in the front, the rears would be fine. When these tires wear out I may just buy two 245's and check the fitment up front.

Looking real good man!
Thanks!

I actually really want to lower it another 1/4-1/2" but I don't have enough camber adjustment in the rear to get back to -1.5 degrees after the change. When I get back to the suspension for the DTSS deletes and poly bushings I'm going to pick up an adjustable lateral link to see if that can't help dial out some more camber.

You know, I originally wanted 245/45R16's on there, but after test fitting some 225/50R16's I didn't think it would be possible, which is strange because I have seen that exact combination on another car. The concern is the clearance between the spring perch and the tire in the front, the rears would be fine. When these tires wear out I may just buy two 245's and check the fitment up front.

Thanks!

I actually really want to lower it another 1/4-1/2" but I don't have enough camber adjustment in the rear to get back to -1.5 degrees after the change. When I get back to the suspension for the DTSS deletes and poly bushings I'm going to pick up an adjustable lateral link to see if that can't help dial out some more camber.

Those are sweet. So convenient...

Those are sweet. So convenient...
I just hope it'll work with what I'm planning on doing...

I already have the adjustable camber links from AWR on both sides so I can adjust camber separately (something the lateral link cannot do). The problem I currently have is with the current ride height I've about maxxed out the adjustment on the passenger's side and that's with -1.5 degrees of camber. I'd like to get to -1 degrees and I'm hoping I can use the lateral link to dial out as much camber as possible initially, and then just use the camber links to even out the sides.

man, i have heard really bad things about the haltech systems...

maybe u can back up y u r going with haltech and change my mind eh?

(boom04)

A lot of people around here run Haltech w/ no issues. You've heard bad things about using Haltech with the 13b? or just in general?

Well, when I say "Haltech" I'm referring to their standalone ECU's like the new Platinum Sport Series. Again, I'm just more familiar their systems and I know their ECU's have the ability to do what I want: full sequential injector timing, fuel/timing adjustments, injector staging, etc. They also have compatability with just about any sensor you could ever need. I not saying Haltech is "better" than other standalones, but I have heard there are limitations with the Microtechs, and I don't want to spend the money to run a Motec.

Either way, plans change so I may end up not running with a Haltech ECU. I still have managed to not touch the engine aside from regular maintenance so things may turn out differently.

Got my first CEL yesterday coming home after a NASA hyperdrive event...

Checked it last night (checking OBDI CEL's is always fun...) and pulled two codes: somethings about the feedback system and the solenoid for the switch valve. Checked the solenoid today and everything looked good. Plugged everything back in and that code went away. Checked all the sparkplugs, wires and coils and everything looks good but the code is still there. I may take it to a shop to have the timing checked out because I don't have the means...

How did she do on the track yesterday? Did you have a blast?

Most of the rotary people in my area use Haltechs. Mainly cause we have a local guru and that is what he tunes with. I really haven't heard any of them complain.

Back