DaveB gauge rings/clones status update

it can be fun, it can also be a pain haha...

i will miss the labs when i have to leave.
i dont think my personal workshop is ever going to have horizontal and vertical band saws, a CNC lathe, CNC Mill, CNC plasma cutter... MIG/TIG welding equipment, plastic welders, table and miter saws, drill press, laser cutter, etc etc etc. we have some sweet ******* stuff ive got to play with over my 5 years here. definitely fun.
color me green.

yeah my various projects have meant i got to use all of those at least once except the tig welder. i never had anything that needed tig welding, plus they want students to use the MIG welder.

not yet... everything is prepped, just waiting for the guy to help me out with getting it on the lathe. im about to bootleg mastercam and the tutorial though, im getting pretty impatient.

one thing ive learned when your workin on stuff is be patient...otherwise you **** stuff up!!

i am officially teaching myself mastercam, and hopefully im doing it right-ish. i can always go and check dimensioning for the toolholders and other specifics later, but right now im focusing on trying to get the toolpaths OK... im not positive how im doing, but if i get a chance tomorrow im heading to the lab and will get some feedback on how its looking. theres still two parts to finish on the profile, but thats not too bad.

Attachments

• CAM image.jpg
    CAM image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 208
i couldnt open the video, what is it???????
its a WMV, which means you cant open it on mac or linux. im gonna try to change that at some point

lol i think its the ring? i couldnt tell what i was lookin at ha
yeah... the sketch in the beginning is the profile of the ring with all the cutting paths. then it goes 3-D and shows the tools cutting away at it. which is pretty neat.

i was able to find someone who knew enough about the lathe to tell me everything i needed to know. thats damn good news - no more waiting on everyone else.
if the machine remains available, i hope to have a very big update soon.

gotcha.

i tried to run a big ring on tuesday, there was one god damn line in mastercam that was screwed up and it busted my BFN tool. got another one on order, ill hopefully take a stab again on tuesday.

Wait? a line that is messed up and it still ran? Our CNC machine's wont run if they know something is going to break or of any of the axis's are off at all. It reads all the codes and makes sure it can do it before it is ran.

But IDK anything about mastercam....

the depth of cut was set too large - mastercam didnt do what i wanted it to so i had to do a manual entry and miscalculated the depth of the cut i was taking. it was a legit toolpath, it was just defined wrong. so instead of skimming .01 off it tried to do ~.06-.08 and ka-boom.

no one to blame but myself... which oddly makes me feel better about it.

Then is the alignment off? because it SHOULD not go off that much. Out machine's have TIGHT tolerances, (we do things by the .0001) and we also do jobs that are like 1000+ pcs... at over 2$ a part. My dad is actually working on a medical thing that is 36+ a part.... haha

Back