LED Foglight idea

I actually bought my LED bulbs to replace my stock filament bulbs from v-leds, for my tail turn signals, side markers, reverse lights, parking/signal light, and interior lights. But I would not use these strips for this application, they are not even close to as bright as the LEDs I found. I first tried using the strips v-leds supplies and it didn't turn out like I wanted, too dim and the LEDs spaced too far apart. For bulb replacements I would highly recommend v-leds.com, and for those who don't know, make sure you get the resistors if you replace your turn signals or they will flash super quick as if your turn signals are burnt out. But for LED strips oznium makes the best i've seen so far. Not dissing on your post at all, just thought I would let you know their strips aren't the best for exterior application, interior they work great though.

Good to know, OZ has those same strips for more $ than the VLED equivalent, But OZ seems to have a much greater selection in the strip type of application.

They do pack those leds in on that strip, looks like twice as many as the ones with a black background, I found this on the oz site as well :

http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip

not as many size options , but mebbe a nicer install when not illuminated.

+1 on the resistors, unfortunate, but the flasher on our car is embedded in the pcm and not a candidate for an electronic flasher

I wunder if I can get a strip of these into the headlight shell someway??

I did this a few months ago. Only with Blue Led's.

Copyofcar001.jpg

Copyofcar002.jpg

lightson.jpg

Wired them to a switch I put in
switch.jpg

Yours looks good man. Nice write up.

Well my buddy painted the inside of his headlight all white to match his car, kind of like the corvette headlights, said he stuck in in the oven for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees to get the glue to separate and then did the same thing to get it together again, sounds harsh but he did it and it looks just fine. He hasn't had any moisture on the inside either yet. So I imagine if you can do that to paint em you could separate them and put the LEDs in as you wish... I was too lazy to try it, I've thought about doing it to paint the chrome bezels black....

I did this a few months ago. Only with Blue Led's.

Yours looks good man. Nice write up.

Couldn't get away with doing it blue where I live lol
(five-0) The guys in blue don't like it haha, any blue forward facing lights are illegal. They tried to tell me mine were illegal but I was able to prove to them that per Utah code they are legal, as long as their white....
Yours look good though! In the dark they almost look just like mine, kinda cool...

Couldn't get away with doing it blue where I live lol
(five-0) The guys in blue don't like it haha, any blue forward facing lights are illegal. They tried to tell me mine were illegal but I was able to prove to them that per Utah code they are legal, as long as their white....
Yours look good though! In the dark they almost look just like mine, kinda cool...

yea, cops around here don't seem to give a rats ass whats wrong with your car. As long and you arn't endangering others. Everyone can drive around with plastic for windows, no exhaust, and 30 000K hid's and a cop won't even look at ya....it's pretty sweet lol

Serious? Haha yeah their friggin anal here... especially our highway patrol. I'm surprised they let me get away with my exhaust. A month or two back I was at a gas station getting a drink letting my car idle. A cop walks by and some asshole kid in a wrx(not saying their all assholes) asks the cop why he doesn't give me a ticket for my exhaust because it's obviously illegal. The cop no s*** said this "Oh, Ive heard that car before, it's a diesel" and kept walking. I laughed so hard haha....

Good to know, OZ has those same strips for more $ than the VLED equivalent, But OZ seems to have a much greater selection in the strip type of application.

They do pack those leds in on that strip, looks like twice as many as the ones with a black background, I found this on the oz site as well :

http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip

not as many size options , but mebbe a nicer install when not illuminated.

+1 on the resistors, unfortunate, but the flasher on our car is embedded in the pcm and not a candidate for an electronic flasher

I wunder if I can get a strip of these into the headlight shell someway??

Check LaraW she has had this done and a few others on M3F did it. I think a guy was actually running a service to do it for you as well.

Edit: Here are some pictures of her car with them in there.

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, I like my LEDs grouped closer but everyone is different. Any idea what that is in her grill below her intercooler scoops?

Quick photoshop of what I was thinking of doing, but without the LEDs in the headlights.

Attachments

• foglight-led.jpg
    foglight-led.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 214
  • foglight-led2.jpg
    foglight-led2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Sport6 I have been thinking about doing that exact thing for a long time. I just haven't figured out how to do if yet. I have a couple ideas but I want it to look super clean

Would you think this Would be illigal in NYS? our laws are as* lol

My setup shouldn't be unless there is a law against actually altering your lights in anyway. In my state it is legal as long as I don't turn on the fogs. Because you can only have 2 sets of forward facing lights on at the same time. Hence that is why your fogs turn off when you turn on your high beams. But thats getting into technicalities there. I haven't had any trouble with them in my state and the cops are quite anal here at times.... I don't think you should have any trouble with the law unless they have something against white LEDs in which case Audi is in trouble jk. Being that it is actually on the fog light housing I don't think you should have any trouble.

My setup shouldn't be unless there is a law against actually altering your lights in anyway. In my state it is legal as long as I don't turn on the fogs. Because you can only have 2 sets of forward facing lights on at the same time. Hence that is why your fogs turn off when you turn on your high beams. But thats getting into technicalities there. I haven't had any trouble with them in my state and the cops are quite anal here at times.... I don't think you should have any trouble with the law unless they have something against white LEDs in which case Audi is in trouble jk. Being that it is actually on the fog light housing I don't think you should have any trouble.

Thanks and BTW your Setup is Sickkk =)

you can only have 2 sets of forward facing lights on at the same time. .

that seems totally retarded... i dont understand some of the laws the DOT has come up with... it seems like the more light sources on a car, the more visible/safer it will be... i understand if you had some serious off-roading lights that would blind/dazzle oncoming drivers, but having a small group of LEDs on the bottom of a car is not going to pose any danger to oncoming drivers. it also seems that the fog lights would effectively drown out the light emitted by the LEDs anyway (maybe not as much with our lame ass stock lights...)

Thanks for the write-up. You may also want to post it up in the "How-To" forum. I didn't realize you lost the fog lights (I didn't look close enough in the previous pics), but it makes sense that they can't co-exist now seeing the up close pics.

why couldnt they co-exist? because the LED strips cover a portion of the lens? it seems like if you took that ring out of the foglights it would counteract the area blocked by the LEDs.

Back