Is this my oil plug????

You might be able to get that welded back on. If it took part of the tranny right next to the bell housing.

It looks like the flange and bolts are in good shape and it was just the thinner metal around the nose of the actual starter motor that was damaged, but I won't know for sure until the engine is out.

Here are a couple pics. The hole looks smaller than it is because it goes up behind the starter. I can put my hand in and move it around with ease. Do you think I'll be able to use the rod again? I could try gorilla glue or maybe JB Weld. (thumb)

Attachments

• P1010380.JPG
    P1010380.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010383.JPG
    P1010383.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 131
  • P1010384.JPG
    P1010384.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 116
  • P1010387.JPG
    P1010387.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
this is my biggest fear, once I get the Swift GT motor in the samurai, I'll be sourcing a Used motor and start prpepping it just in case.

I'm not thrilled but I don't know that its anything to fear. It will be a fair amount of work and headache, but cost doesn't have to be outrageous and I think its just part of the ownership experience. Kinda like the diff install I did a few months ago. After all the hours I've put into this goofy car I don't know that I will feel good about selling it, or maybe I'll be thrilled to watch it leave.

that sucks because you will be needing a new tranny housing also...

look at the shiny side...thats probably where a bearing from one of the tranny shafts press in. and ya the starter bolts to the transmission dude...

but hey when you get it apart hit me up and i can make you a deal on whatever tranny part you need (hopefully just the housing)...i have a spare blown tranny with just a broken fork

You'll be the first to know if I need a housing, but it looks like I'll just need a starter. It looks like the trans is fine and all the breakage occurred around the starter itself. The starter has an aluminum mount that bolts to the trans housing and that mount is what is broken from what I can see.

The piece in the first pic is definitely part of the starter. That doesn't mean that there isn't damage to the trans or bellhousing, but the starter has an aluminum mount that is part of the starter assembly and mounts the motor and solenoid. The piece shown in my 1st post is part of the aluminum structure seen in the pic below.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 86
OK questions tom:
What grade oil were you running and last change?
What spark plugs and about how many miles on them?
How much boost are you running?
How much boost at time of Failure?
What gear? this was answered 3rd
what RPM?
I'm wondering if you just happen to detonate due to hitting boost in 3rd at a lower RPM? If your running regular plugs maybe one took a s*** at the wrong moment?

What grade oil were you running and last change?

Changed at 2500 mile increments, last change 10 days ago - Castrol Synthetic 10-40

What spark plugs and about how many miles on them?

NGK - Don't remember what heat range - I changed them in May and they have about 3K on them

How much boost are you running?

7.5-8 psi peak

How much boost at time of Failure?

Hard to say, but based on the RPM, gear, and grade of the ramp - 5 ish lbs

What gear? this was answered 3rd

what RPM?

Just under 3K rpm - I had just shifted to 3rd from second. Just cruising onto the highway - not poking, but the Taurus behind me was all over my bumper - right up until I blew oil all over and threw chunks of the block and rod out the bottom of the car. Through the entire ramp I was well under 1/2 throttle, granny shifting at 3500 or so rpm.

I'm wondering if you just happen to detonate due to hitting boost in 3rd at a lower RPM? If your running regular plugs maybe one took a s*** at the wrong moment?

Boost would have been low, but consistent for 5-10 seconds prior to failure. I don't remember the exact specs on the plugs, but I remember standing at the parts counter and feeling raped after buying coils and plugs. I don't know that I spent top of the line money, but I know I didn't cheap out. I'll pull 'em over the weekend and see how they look. There was no audible detonation. The radio was off and I was just listening to road noise.

I think I can chalk it up to the fact that sometimes - Crap happens.

Last edited:
I bet boosting at low RPMs is what kill this motor. Time to forge it and make it a beast! and then keep it!

Doubtful that the normal heat range plugs caused this damage. I want to know if the rod bolts let go or the rod snapped.

That really sucks man. Best of luck getting it up and running. Since you are gonna have it off you might as well crack it open and consider preparing your trans for the added power you want to run. I know you don't want to go too high, 275ish you said. I cryoed all my gears and shafts for around $200 and it has added a ton of piece of mind. I exploded 3rd gear prior to that under normal conditions with less power. All in all I have a strengthened trans for less than $400 doing all the work myself, minus the freezing- I don't have that kinda equipment. Additional parts I replaced was the syncros, and it's certainly recommended not to reuse the bearings. Hell I broke most of the bearing races pressing them off the shafts.
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pLC6xmJAEuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pLC6xmJAEuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object><object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WuGzcMOk1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WuGzcMOk1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Back