how to check my coil packs??? CAMS!!!!

:
mazdaspeed 3 white
how do i check to see which one of my coil packs is not working?? i was driving yesterday and hit 140 mph when sumthing went wrong. opened it all up and saw 1 of spark plugs was melted so switched all my spark plugs. now its a lil better but still bad so i was told change coil #3 because check engine said p303. so anyone know before i make big moves how to check if its the coil #3. i do have the tmic still on so cant test if off. thanks it sounds like i have cams!!!!

HERE IS MY VIDEO OF HOW MY CAR SOUNDS!! WITH PROBLEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BgcnzVEVk

Last edited:
Easy way to do it is to switch coilpacks with another cylinder and see if the CEL follows it.

Get a compression test just in case, something sounds off.

There is definetely a resistance value for both the low and high tension parts of the coil. Mazda will know this value and you can test it with a simple volt/ohm meter on the bench. However, a melted spark plug will usually take the coil with it.

There is definetely a resistance value for both the low and high tension parts of the coil. Mazda will know this value and you can test it with a simple volt/ohm meter on the bench. However, a melted spark plug will usually take the coil with it.

Here it is from the manual.

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 15,178
thanks guys i ordered a new coil from dealer will pick it up tomarro at 930 hopefully it resolves the problem. But tell me not it sounds HOTT lol!!

I highly doubt its the injectors, I would seriously consider getting a compression test if the coil didn't fix the problem.

since they already answered your questions i suppose ill say it...140?! safety first dude. im glad it was only a coil pack that went wrong and not an unknown hole that ripped your axel off or hit an animal and sent you into a death spin/flip. be safe my friend. 140....not so safe. at least you live in one of the flattest states.

ok so i changed the damaged coil and still same prob tried everything possible and nuttin!! now i pulled out spark plug #3 and its not sparking it has gasoline on it but no spark so i pulled out #2 and it has some black residue but i kno thats working. what is wrong with #3 the spark plug aint sparking but i know the spark plug works. i know it works becuase i tested the spark plug in #2 and it worked i pulled it out and there was no gasoline on it nomore soo now what!! thanks again guys for all your help!

could the injector be stuck open or soemthing? try the spark plug and the coil pack out of the cylinder to see if you get a spark. sounds like the coil pack is not working to be honest esp since the plug works.

ok so i finally put a small camera in and saw that the 3rd piston is in pieces. so now i really dont know what to do!!!! my car runs but not to potential i need help with this!!!! im thinking of upgrading rods and pistons now but idk because it can be more than that. i heard the cylinder can b gone too or more. ne idea guys on what to do from here. warrenty is gone my car was flagged. ne one know somebody selling some inexpensive rods and piston because street unit is around 1300 and i dont even have half of that.

Jesus Christ, don't run it with an exploded piston crown. It's off the road until you build the engine again. You're bloody lucky you didn't take out the block while you were at it.

You must beat the s*** out of your car, my friend. That's a rare failure mode.

I knew the car didn't sound right. Sorry to hear that..

Edit:

Any pictures of the carnage?

Last edited:
Back