G2 Caliper Paint working temperature

khoney

:
2007 Cosmic Blue MS3, 2018 CX-9 Signature
A question for you G2 users - have you used this product when it's been warmer than 70 degrees?

The spec says the ambient temp must be something like 53 to 70 degrees for application. My paint will expire in another month or so, an I'm not sure I'll be seeing these temps by then (we've had over 50 100+ days this summer). Have any of you worked with it at higher temps, say 85? If the working life is shortened, I can probably still live with that, but if it starts getting sticky while I'm still applying it, I don't want to risk trying it.

Have you tried contacting the folks at G2? I e-mailed them a little while back prior to purchasing my kit and asked them if it would be OK to use the product in FL during this month or next. They said it would be fine, but know that it'll cure/dry quicker. I know you already knew that :)

How cool is there in the mornings in San Antonio?

BTW - here's the link to contact them.

I haven't contacted them yet. It has been cooler the past few days, but I can only do this on a weekend, because it's my only vehicle. I'm hoping for a cool weekend in the next few weeks. We're still mid-70s or warmer at 6AM, and the temps rise quickly. My plan is to prep everything for paint on a Friday evening, and get up early on a Saturday to paint.

When you did yours, did you remove the retaining clips and paint them separately, or did you paint with them on?

You can prep and paint all at the same time, so you don't have to do it in shifts. This is how I did mine, jacked all for corners with stands. The cleaner dries almost immediately after use. Remember to clean multiple times with the cleaner and toothbrush. Two coats is plenty with the G2. Painted everything in place including all clips, etc. Here's a tip: Instead of the POS brush that comes with the kit, get a one inch "fitch" sold at any paint store. Make sure it's china bristle, then you can taper the brisltes with scissors to give more accuracy. Finished product:

100_0275.jpg

5-4: So the finer brush allowed you to get into the crevices and to paint the retainer clips without them coming off? I was almost certain that I was going to take them off and paint them seperately. The front clip is a pain to take off, too. And then having to paint the clips in shifts as you would have to lay them on cardboard or newspaper to piant one side and then the other. This would definitely save time. Also, any need for clearcoat? I know the G2 paint is very durable and they offer a guarantee/warranty on any chipping or fading. I was going to put the decals on and was thinking about clearcoating the entire caliper with the decals applied.

I'm actually gonna split the paint up into two containers so my dad can help me paint them. Good father-son bonding time :)

Last edited:
I wish I would have purchased a different brush before painting. The one that came with the G2 kit was trashed before the first coat was done. I removed the clips and outside pads just for contrast in color and ease of painting. As for the clear coat, the Vinz Decals folks say they are good for 6 years, and the metallic colors last 10. I have a Sunlight Silver MS3 and went with the black G2 kit with metallic silver 'MAZDASPEED' decals from Vinz.

Attachments

• DSCN0620.JPG
    DSCN0620.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0621.JPG
    DSCN0621.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
Looks great!

What was the temperature? Did you have any issues with the paint working time?

Temp was probaly high 70s to low 80s. The paint cured pretty quickly once applied, but the paint in the can started getting hard in about 2 1/2 hours. So I think it was curing faster than what it said in the instructions. I couldn't wait a couple more months - LOL

Finished painting about an hour ago. You're right, this stuff doesn't like high temps. I started painting at 7AM, so it was close to 70, but quickly got warmer. I managed to get 3 coats on by 9:30. I don't think I could have gotten a 4th - the paint would have been too thick. I'll post all pics when I'm finished, but one thing I will say... ORANGE FTW!!!

I decided to be anal and pulled the calipers. Spent about 4 hours prepping yesterday. A wire brush is a definite MUST HAVE. I have no rust, but it got the calipers much cleaner than with just the cleaner and towels. Taped and masked everything, then let is sit until the cool morning. I then proceeded to do some OBDII software stuff for a couple hours. I had my back to the front of the car, and never noticed that my headlights were on Auto. Battery is stone dead. I have no 2nd car to jump from, and my Coleman portable battery jumper won't hold a charge anymore. Hopefully I can get a neighbor to jump me.

Cosmic Blue with Orange G2 Caliper Paint

Finally Done. I did have a screw-up and masked off something I shouldn't have, but fortunately you have to look closely to see it ;) I'm pretty pleased with my color choice and how it turned out. Everyone I've talked to who hasn't seen it thinks orange is a weird color, but I like it - maybe because I'm color-blind :D

Attachments

• P1010237.JPG
    P1010237.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 393
  • P1010238.JPG
    P1010238.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 362
  • P1010239.JPG
    P1010239.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 300
  • P1010240.JPG
    P1010240.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,793
  • P1010242.JPG
    P1010242.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
A few more...

And...

Attachments

• P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 299
  • P1010244.JPG
    P1010244.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 242
  • P1010247.JPG
    P1010247.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 225
Great job! I had my dad paint one of the rears and he didn't spread the paint out as much as I would've liked so it looks oversaturated. So mine wasn't perfect either. There are a couple of other imperfections, but like you said, the average person won't notice :)

That's not orange....

This is orange

Attachments

• Drivers Calipers.jpg
    Drivers Calipers.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 259
Oh, I thought you already did. (enguard)

Here, let me help ya out... Orange is on the left, red is on the right.

I take it you didn't use G2...

Attachments

• Orange.JPG
    Orange.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Red.JPG
    Red.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Back