What a Catch Can Collects *pic*

fostersafb

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3 GT MGM
So I decided to drain my catch can and see what has been collected. To my surprise, there was quite a bit of fluid and what it looked like was even more strange. It smells like a combo of oil and fuel and its very liquidy. Anyhow, I'm guessing this is normal. Does anyone else's look this way?

Attachments

• catch can sample.jpg
    catch can sample.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 361
oil and unburnt fuel + water produced during combustion = exactly what you pictured. It is 100% what I would expect to come from a catch can setup. I bet some of you were expecting some nasty, crusty black crap weren't you :)

I got the EXACT same stuff but now that the weather has warmed up there's hardly any at all ... suspect during the colder temps it might be sucking in some condensation maybe??

oil and unburnt fuel + water produced during combustion = exactly what you pictured. It is 100% what I would expect to come from a catch can setup. I bet some of you were expecting some nasty, crusty black crap weren't you :)

I was definitely expecting thick black oily nastiness, not that. It actually looks pretty tasty.

So, if the can wasn't in place that stuff would just continually recirculate until it either burned off or settled somewhere on the intake track?

thats interesting my OCC gets pure oil, not that goop you have.

Really? I'd love to see a pic of it the next time you drain that.

The latest theory on blown motors points to a PCV system malfunction causing oil to get injested into the motor and hydro-locking causing the rods to bend ... so if you're getting oil into the catch can, your PCV system may be 1 of the "defective" ones whereby most of us get no oil or very little of it in our catch cans.

Really? I'd love to see a pic of it the next time you drain that.

The latest theory on blown motors points to a PCV system malfunction causing oil to get injested into the motor and hydro-locking causing the rods to bend ... so if you're getting oil into the catch can, your PCV system may be 1 of the "defective" ones whereby most of us get no oil or very little of it in our catch cans.

i doubt it, the OCC design has two PCV's to prevent oil from being boost back into the engine, the one at the block itself and the one that closes under boost near the IM, i doubt both of them dont work. that might just mean his is working right and maybe you have one of your pcv valves backwards or clogged, IDK

Back