What have you done to your Miata today?

Lost some weight today, and will lose a couple more pounds next week.
Installation was pretty simple once we had a plan. Problem with the 1st time you do it is that the plan goes through a few iterations before you finally settle on one that works. Part of the problem is that the seat isn't perfectly flat on the bottom. It's hard to describe the mounting, but long story short, these seats are about as low as you're ever going to get in a miata with sliders. I love it! Seating position is lower, so the line of sight is no longer through the top of the windshield lol. THe layback angle is the same as the corbeaus, and as these aren't tube framed, they fit a ton better in the car. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures of the install, but we basically used 2 lengths of steel angle iron, and the seat is bolted down in 6 places along the bottom. VERY sturdy, and way sturdier than my corbeau sliders that kept falling the F apart lol. The middle 2 holes we drilled directly into the top bracket of the slider and threaded those, and the 2 other pairs of holes (front and rear) are in the angle iron and use bolts, nuts and lock washers. Grade 8 hardware was used for everything.

Before:
IMG_0878.jpg

After:
IMG_1422.jpg

Look how much room there is in there now LOL
IMG_1424.jpg

This is what they look like with no covers:
IMG_1426.jpg

I'm kind of sad to see it go, but it was a lot of weight up high in the car. It's a beautiful piece that will likely be for sale soon. It was right around 60 lbs, so my car should be less than 2100 lbs now!!!! It's probably closer to 2070 or so based on what it weighed at the tour. Extra bonus is that the kirkeys + mounting hardware come out to be about 5 lbs less (at 26 lbs once ballasted) than the Corbeaus. I'm very happy with the results. I won't have time to work on the car this week (my folks will be in town), however I'll take s'more pics when we do the 2nd seat. Now that we know how to do it, installing the 2nd seat shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Ok, so I went ahead and put together an extremely technical drawing of what we did.

Please keep in mind that I haven't done the passenger side one yet, so it may be a little different.

The angle iron that we used was 1". It butts right up against the seat supporting the load on the front and rear very nicely. Anyway, the holes on the angle iron line up with the 2 stock holes on the ends of the sliders. We used 3/4" bolts on those. The 2 middle bolts go through threaded holes in the top of the slider. The front and back bolts have a washer on top of the seat, then use lock washers under the nut under the angle iron. I ended up using 2" bolts for those. The 1 1/2" could have worked, but was a bit skimpy on threads. 1 3/4" would have been ideal, but lowes didn't have any.. Note that the bolts holding the seats to the angle iron are inboard of the ones holding the angle iron to the sliders (towards the middle of the seat). That's the simplification I was talking about :p

Attachments

• simple.JPG
    simple.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 144
Rotated the tires, and did a well overdue vacuming of the interior.

Found $4.37 in change. :p

located the coolant leak- heater hose clamp, engine side, crapped out and the hose wiggled loose. new clamp+ fluids. swapped more braided pvc hoses, cleaned the pcv, no more high idle, no more smoke. Simple fixes are the best! rainx'd did a little cleaning.

And after all that, I took the wife on a topless joy ride. hehehe

And after all that, I took the wife on a topless joy ride. hehehe

hahaaaaaaaaa. Multiple entendre! (spelled that totally wrong but can't find the correct spelling anywhere (sad2))

Congrats on the easy fix. I actually had 1 of the heater core hoses blow. THAT was fun to replace...

hahaaaaaaaaa. Multiple entendre! (spelled that totally wrong but can't find the correct spelling anywhere (sad2))

Congrats on the easy fix. I actually had 1 of the heater core hoses blow. THAT was fun to replace...

You spelled it right, but it's usually referred to as a "double entendre".

It's not what I did...it's what some punk ass did.
Jacked me for my flying 'M' badge. :(
cimg0822bm6.jpg

Anyway...1 year later and post 1 accident...paint still looks amazing.

let my mom drive my 99, and now is mis-firing hard. Feels like boost/fuel cut in my speed 3. no idea what it could be. I changed the spark plugs a day ago, wires were kind of hashed up. already ordered some magnacors to replace them. what else can I check while I wait for the new wires to come in?

what is the correct wire order for a 99, also spark plug gap?

let my mom drive my 99, and now is mis-firing hard. Feels like boost/fuel cut in my speed 3. no idea what it could be. I changed the spark plugs a day ago, wires were kind of hashed up. already ordered some magnacors to replace them. what else can I check while I wait for the new wires to come in?

what is the correct wire order for a 99, also spark plug gap?

coil packs? I'm not sure if you guys have packs or not. lol I know on my p5 i had bad misfire due to a bad coil pack whent he pack got nice and warm.

Plugs & wires.

Have the same issue in my car right now.

Waiting on my plugs too.

:/

old news :p

yeah, that's some awesome s***. I bet it wouldn't be hard to cut a hole in the top and stick a periscope in there! 0.o

Back