Round 2: GRM $2006 Challenge Turbo Miater

Driving on the highway is GOING TO SUCK w/the Yata. The RPM is right around 3700 and i'm doing 70-75ish....I gotta remember to wear earplugs on my trip...lol.

Holy crap, that's worse than the P5. Is it supposed to be that high??

aMaff said:
yep. because of the low stock HP, they are geared pretty low to help with acceleration. The 1.6l cars have a 4.3:1 rear, and the 1.8l cars have a 4.1:1 rear. With the 6-speed cars starting in '99 they got 3.9:1

Last edited:
aMaff said:

yup. and it's actually about the same as the P5.

Just to tide the masses over until the clearcoat is applied Sunday, here are a few pics.

Attachments

• DSCN4358.JPG
    DSCN4358.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN4356.JPG
    DSCN4356.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN4363.JPG
    DSCN4363.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN4367.JPG
    DSCN4367.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN4365.JPG
    DSCN4365.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 170
Slightly OT: Kevin, have you considered getting rid of the MAF sensor either through a MAP sensor (would need a voltage inverter), or a potentiometer linked to the throttle? Considering your background in electronics, i would think you could whip up something rather easily..

MiaTurbo said:
Slightly OT: Kevin, have you considered getting rid of the MAF sensor either through a MAP sensor (would need a voltage inverter), or a potentiometer linked to the throttle? Considering your background in electronics, i would think you could whip up something rather easily..

I've thought about it and building such a rig wouldn't be too much of a problem. However, time is one constraint, the other is the purpose. It might work well for the [next] Challenge, but I don't think it would notably increase performance. I could relatively achieve the same "unrestricted" airflow of a MAP setup as I could from installing the RX7 MAF.

If I get some free time, I really would like to prototype one...just for grins.

Rogue said:
your engine bay looks soo sweet, Kevin. It's really come a long way!

Thanks, Luke. Wait till she's all shined up :).

aMaff said:
Hurray vynil-less :p

Hell yes. Thanks so much, again, for your assistance with peeling and sanding and whatever else. You've saved me a TON of time. Muff for el Presedente!!

kcbhiw said:
Hell yes. Thanks so much, again, for your assistance with peeling and sanding and whatever else. You've saved me a TON of time. Muff for el Presedente!!
Don't forget the spray booth ;) (that thing is so jack legged, it's the perfect HIW spray booth)

No probalo. It was actually a lot of fun. What could be better than hangin around the race car all day? Maybe not sanding it, but that's neither here nor there ;). I'm excited to see all the work pay off tho, you def need to post some pics once you're done spraying the clear tomorrow.

And I'd make a lousy president...

Phil's Addition To Team HIW

(ughdance)

And WHO says the Miata has no trunk space? Haha.

Thanks for the heads up on the suspension BTW Kev. (RTM)

Last edited:
haha...that's good stuff. Don't forget to align the car once you're done with the suspension. Those wheels look great!!!

kcbhiw said:
haha...that's good stuff. Don't forget to align the car once you're done with the suspension. Those wheels look great!!!
Hell yeah!! I try I try! ;)...I KNOW it's all jacked up dude....

kcbhiw said:
I've thought about it and building such a rig wouldn't be too much of a problem. However, time is one constraint, the other is the purpose. It might work well for the [next] Challenge, but I don't think it would notably increase performance. I could relatively achieve the same "unrestricted" airflow of a MAP setup as I could from installing the RX7 MAF.

If I get some free time, I really would like to prototype one...just for grins.
yeah, considering you're running the stock ECU, and stock cams, you probably wouldn't get more than 5hp on the top end. But would still be cool none the less ;)

Less than a week...

So here I am with less than a week to go and all is well. I just have a few odds and ends to complete (re-install the windsheild, mount tires to wheels, alignment, corner weight, install race bucket, etc etc etc). Final pics will come this week. I'm very excited about the party, err GRM Challenge, this coming week.

Here are the last few pics until I post the final product, then it's off to the races. The first two are the prep and powder coat of the wheels. The third is how the car now stands, and lastly, test fit of my nearly free race seat (quite old and ugly).

Attachments

• DSCN4387.JPG
    DSCN4387.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN4396.JPG
    DSCN4396.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN4398.JPG
    DSCN4398.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN4400.JPG
    DSCN4400.JPG