Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

I'm the same way, but my other vehicles (2 trucks) had in-dash units, not computerized Infotainment systems.

And I've said before that I've had XM since the early days, and still use my original Delphi receiver that I've carried around to use at home, at work, and in my cars (I picked up a used unit at Goodwill I scavenge parts from.) I've never had any issues, but there's minimal tech to have compatibility issues with.

I have said ALL ALONG that the issue is with the SiriusXM receiver module.

Keep in mind, SiriusXM comes out with new receivers all the time. I'd be interested in knowing if the receiver in the 2019+ is a newer model that's causing issues.

I know when I had my old Mazda6 (2009), SIriusXM would push out updates quite frequently.. usually channel updates. When that happened, the radio would stop working during the update and return immediately. I wonder if its that process that's not working right.
Yeh, I get the "Updating" issue on my old Delphi receiver. (Funny how this legacy unit never experiences "new tech"compatibility issues.)

But again, these issues are not universal with all 2019+ CX-5s. That's what baffles me.

And on a tangential note, I don't understand why turning the car off and back on does not do a fresh reload. The few times I've had issues, they persist until the car sits overnight and gets restarted the next day. If I stop to grocery shop and come back 1/2 hour later, the same problems are there as though the software did not really unload/reload. Only an extended shutdown period (overnight) seems to clear out the old load. It makes no sense to me, but I've never had a reboot fix the issues. And the 3 finger reboot does nothing.

I called Siriusxm and of course they are as clueless as Mazda. Let's hope Mazda Corporate is correct. Only question us why did they tell me to call my Dealer if Siriusxm isse?

I don't know.

They may be trying to enforce their standard Issues Communication Process; in other words, you don't get to circumvent hurdles ;)

I wish they would put themselves in the Owners position. We purchased brand new vehicles, and expect everything to work. If not, fix it in a reasonably amount of time.

Not have to wonder if my Satellite Radio will work today.

Yeh, I get the "Updating" issue on my old Delphi receiver. (Funny how this legacy unit never experiences "new tech"compatibility issues.)

But again, these issues are not universal with all 2019+ CX-5s. That's what baffles me.

And on a tangential note, I don't understand why turning the car off and back on does not do a fresh reload. The few times I've had issues, they persist until the car sits overnight and gets restarted the next day. If I stop to grocery shop and come back 1/2 hour later, the same problems are there as though the software did not really unload/reload. Only an extended shutdown period (overnight) seems to clear out the old load. It makes no sense to me, but I've never had a reboot fix the issues. And the 3 finger reboot does nothing.

It's so funny you should say that, because whenever it's happened to me, ~30 (+/- a few miniutes) fixed the issues for me almost every time.

AND occasionally, the 3 finger reboot has worked at least twice for me too.

There doesn't appear to be any common fixes across different units, so.. Very weird.

Waiting for this supposed 2 week fix to come. Will let everyone know if this happens and actually works.

There doesn't appear to be any common fixes across different units, so.. Very weird.
And there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency within a given unit. It defies what I thought I knew about computers. Isn't "repeatability" supposed to be a given?

I'll restate the only recurring issue I've got: Voice Recognition at times will not recognize a spoken station name ("XM Symphony Hall") but will always recognize the station numbers ("XM 76"). When it fails to recognize the name, that function does not come back until the next "after extended [overnight] rest Restart." I had the issue before the software upgrade, and although it seemed to get better after the upgrade, it returned.

This seemed to be addressed with the new software, because now if you try VR too soon, you'll get a "VR Still Loading" message. That was not there with the prior rev.

Like others, I've learned to not put stress on the system until it's had time to load and the ripples on the pond have quelled, but that makes no difference. I can hit the VR early on and it will work fine, and I can wait for the ripples to quell and it will not work.

I am only the Messenger, don't kill me. I have had the issue for 15 months now. My Dealer said I am the only Owner with this issue. They are the largest Dealer on Long Island. Hard to believe.

Personally I'm convinced the issue is on the Mazda hardware/software. My wife's 2018 Touring without XM is so much quicker to load up( .100), it just doesnt have all the extra (XM weight) hanging off it lol.

Sometimes it can take a minute or 3 before my radio is fully useable. I get notifications along the upper bar saying FAVORITES UPDATED........USB CONNECTED........PHONE CONNECTED etc etc. In all that time the Mazda Connect system is also getting it's XM signal and integrating it with the NAV system to overlay traffic info, weather data, etc.

Hopefully there is a permanent fix soon.

Personally I'm convinced the issue is on the Mazda hardware/software. My wife's 2018 Touring without XM is so much quicker to load up( .100), it just doesnt have all the extra (XM weight) hanging off it lol.

Sometimes it can take a minute or 3 before my radio is fully useable. I get notifications along the upper bar saying FAVORITES UPDATED........USB CONNECTED........PHONE CONNECTED etc etc. In all that time the Mazda Connect system is also getting it's XM signal and integrating it with the NAV system to overlay traffic info, weather data, etc.

Hopefully there is a permanent fix soon.
I think Mazda got a deal on some 8086 Processors, althought I've not been in any other vehicle that has all this stuff, so I have no frame of reference.

Like others, I've learned to not put stress on the system until it's had time to load and the ripples on the pond have quelled, but that makes no difference. I can hit the VR early on and it will work fine, and I can wait for the ripples to quell and it will not work.

I agree with you - I can't seem to find a common set of failure modes. And I'm an IT guy. Lol.

Yes, one of the things I've noticed is that if I jump the gun and try to change channels or fiddle with the commander knob before the system has had plenty of time to load, I get these issues.

As for your other issue, the VR, I've honestly never needed it because I use Apple Carplay more than anything (other than siriusxm) so I can't even help you out there on that one!

It's such a weird thing to not get right.

The tech seems so dated, while the rest of the vehicle is just so well-engineered.

I'm starting to wonder if the issue is more with Sirius XM than Mazda. I rarely had issues with the XM failing to load until about a month ago. Then I had it several days in a row. After that, no issues.
But a couple of days ago it started occasionally booting up to Channel 0 upon starting the car instead of the last channel it had been tuned to before shutting down the car. The fix for that quirk had been using the command knob to select Favorites and then twisting the knob to one of the stations and selecting it. After that I was able to go up and down the channels with the steering wheel control.
Maybe there is something in the code that is being transmitted between the satellite and the receiver in our cars that confuses the receiver at times ?

Mazda Corporate emailed me there is a Fix coming in the next 2 weeks. When I see it, I will believe it! Also, they mentioned it is on the SiriusXm side. Only 15 months so far with this issue!

Mazda Corporate emailed me there is a Fix coming in the next 2 weeks. When I see it, I will believe it! Also, they mentioned it is on the SiriusXm side. Only 15 months so far with this issue!
Gotta wonder what XM is gonna do especially for Mazda.

I wonder if this will fix my intermittent Voice Recognition issue, since it seems to be a sporadic database issue.

Interesting,my 2019 Signature purchased Aug.2019 has not had any issues at all.Sirius all access with travel link.Loads up inside of 10 or so seconds.Has anyone called Sirius and have them re-send signal? It certainly sounds like the problem goes deeper than that..

I have called Sirius at least 10 times, had signal sent. Been to Dealer multiple times and had my entire Infotainment System replaced and updated. Better, but still happens almost weekly. Also, have had issue with Live Traffic not being able to be used properly.

I have a 2020 GT Premium that I negotiated a nav card for. It started with travel link active but trial must have ran out and it is gone. When travel link was active I had the OP problem but since the trial ran out I do not believe I have had a failure since...

Back