Repositioning Front License Plate

Interested in shifting my front license plate to either left or right.

How can one accomplish this (ideally without drilling into the stock bumper)? Any bracket kits you can recommend?

Thanks!

Best place to put the front plate is in the garbage!

I really feel for those people who are forced to put up with that crap. Front plates are horrendous. :confused:
Fortunately PA also does not use front plates but that doesn't stop dealers from immediately drilling into bumpers & putting their dealer advertising plates on. Most of our adjacent states do use front plates so that's always something I ask if a car needs to be located & dealer traded.

Definitely find one that uses the tow hook hole. Others have posted pictures on this forum using such setups.

Fortunately PA also does not use front plates but that doesn't stop dealers from immediately drilling into bumpers & putting their dealer advertising plates on. Most of our adjacent states do use front plates so that's always something I ask if a car needs to be located & dealer traded.

Definitely find one that uses the tow hook hole. Others have posted pictures on this forum using such setups.
One of the reason why I special ordered my 2016 CX-5, and told my salesman in advance that don’t drill 2 holes on front bumper once the CX-5 has arrived during the new car prep.

5A33715E-558E-4E51-AF70-4E38F6F6002E.jpeg

Best place to put the front plate is in the garbage!

I really feel for those people who are forced to put up with that crap. Front plates are horrendous. :confused:
I agree! Well, maybe not in the garbage, the trunk is better just in case you get pulled over for no front plate.

I've been driving in Illinois since 1986 and not one of my vehicles have had a plate on the front, Yes, Illinois does require a front plate. In all that time the only word from LEO on this was a warning ticket on my car in a parking lot. A warning to get a plate OR ELSE. Nothing ever came of this OR ELSE and that's been more than 15 years ago.

I agree! Well, maybe not in the garbage, the trunk is better just in case you get pulled over for no front plate.

I've been driving in Illinois since 1986 and not one of my vehicles have had a plate on the front, Yes, Illinois does require a front plate. In all that time the only word from LEO on this was a warning ticket on my car in a parking lot. A warning to get a plate OR ELSE. Nothing ever came of this OR ELSE and that's been more than 15 years ago.

The 1st car I didn't put a plate on was my new 1986 IROC-Z. I've been given 4 warnings and 1 fix-it ticket since. Basically, I just paid the fine without putting it on.

I don't know where in IL you live, but if you live in the Chicago suburbs, here are two places to avoid:
Buffalo Grove
Barrington Hills

I wish I lived in a no-front-plate state, but I’m not going to give the hundreds of cops I go past in a year an excuse to pull me over just to have a slightly cleaner look to my car’s front end. That’s a bad trade off in my book.

- Mark

The 1st car I didn't put a plate on was my new 1986 IROC-Z. I've been given 4 warnings and 1 fix-it ticket since. Basically, I just paid the fine without putting it on.

I don't know where in IL you live, but if you live in the Chicago suburbs, here are two places to avoid:
Buffalo Grove
Barrington Hills

I live about 90 mins west of Chicago. The parking lot where I got the no plate warning ticket was in Elgin at the train station parking lot. Ironically we were headed to Chicago to pick up our new car at the time.

On the subject of getting pulled over, there is recent NYT article about how cops use the presence of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror (which apparently is illegal in most states) to pull over cars that look “suspicious”, giving them an excuse to do profiling. Once you’re pulled over, you get the interrogation: “Do you have a weapon in the car?”, “When did you last have a drink?”, “Do you smoke marijuana?”, “What is the purpose of your trip?”. All this is probably illegal, but making an issue means you’re probably going to have your car or person searched. And if you’re a person of color or unusual race?

I vote not to give them any excuse whatsoever.

- Mark

On the subject of getting pulled over, there is recent NYT article about how cops use the presence of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror (which apparently is illegal in most states) to pull over cars that look “suspicious”, giving them an excuse to do profiling. Once you’re pulled over, you get the interrogation: “Do you have a weapon in the car?”, “When did you last have a drink?”, “Do you smoke marijuana?”, “What is the purpose of your trip?”. All this is probably illegal, but making an issue means you’re probably going to have your car or person searched. And if you’re a person of color or unusual race?

I vote not to give them any excuse whatsoever.

- Mark
Yep, whenever you decide to drive with your car not 100% legal you're leaving yourself (more) open to harassment. Unless you're a cop yourself, it's not worth the risk.

Let's keep threads On Topic please, this one is specifically about "Repositioning Front License Plate", thanks.

I put mine right in the middle. Drilling the two tiny holes was no big deal. My concerns are aerodynamics and engine cooling. Whether it's centered or not doesn't matter.

I put mine right in the middle. Drilling the two tiny holes was no big deal. My concerns are aerodynamics and engine cooling. Whether it's centered or not doesn't matter.
Agreed. But I still prefer the look of the front end without license plate.

Back