Clutch Pedal is rough and clunky

Co.CarSpotter

:
Mazda 2 Sport
When I fully press the clutch pedal there is a definite small notch like clunk about 7/8ths of the way down but just recently the pedal has become very notchy and clunky all the way down. When I say clunky I mean it in a very subtle way. Like rough metal on rough metal. Does any one else have this problem? Does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix it? My car is still running perfectly fine but its just a bit annoying.

I have a similar problem, but not as bad. I've found that fairly consistently, it depends on the angle that you depress the clutch in, which means something comes loose or it's not firmly angled. You can change the direction of your foot, or use the side of your foot to adjust the clutch over left and right to find the position where it no longer does it--unless somehow it's become such a problem that parts are wearing wrong and it is now completely ruined.

I think it needs to be braced somehow, but I'm not sure if the entire assembly isn't aligned, or if the pedal is loose enough to tilt around while everything else is firm. If you have time, can you take pictures, investigate the area?

I haven't had time to inspect the pedal, but when I push my foot down and to the right the small clunk at the bottom goes away and it doesn't feel like its grinding on metal. So it may just need a brace like you said. I'll check it out a bit later.

Look up the clutch pedal failures on the RX8 and make sure this isn't happening to you.

So here is a short video of my Clutch pedal.

I can't tell if it's coming from the larger plunger, or from the little white one? Also when mine does it, it happens before the entire clutch is depressed fully in. Is that the same?

I'm having a hard time hearing the audio in the video.

The Small white plunger makes no sound when it is depressed on its own. It does happen before the clutch is fully depressed, Around 1:20 is the most clear example of when the sound is made.

I found where the grinding/ sound was coming from... Its coming from the actual clutch. Don't know if thats a bad thing or not... I'm going to get a professional to check it out soon.

Yeah. Its not coming from the pedal, its actually coming from the clutch housing. I'm going to get it looked at by a professional. I put my hand on the Housing and asked my Brother to depress the clutch and I could feel the clicking/ grinding coming from there.

Probably just feeling the clutch fork pivoting if the lube dried up some. You can lube the fork at the outside tip easily where the external slave cylinder pushes the clutch fork.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Back