Stone or something stuck in bodywork…Suggestions?

Hi all,

I’m having a really annoying issue, which is not anything mechanical (I don’t think) I’m hearing this stone flicking around against metal from the trunk/boot area and round sharp corners you can hear it sliding about!

Ive taken all the boot trim off and all the covers and given it a hoover and clean. Banged the wheel arches to clear any debris also. I’ve noticed tiny square cut out holes in the metal of boot when you take off the big plastic cover which covers the bottom of the boot interior and goes over the striker pin of the boot. I’m thinking maybe something has gone into the holes there which is causing the rattle but when I bang it stationary I can’t hear anything and I’ve gone round lightly with a rubber mallet everywhere round the back and only hear it when driving at any speed constantly. It’s only when I’m going along and it’s constant. I’ve taken the back wheels off and span them round to see if anything is stuck in the brake drum, but nothing. Underneath the car on the exterior directly under the spare tyre well which has a toe hook on seems like there could be stones in there, but I have no idea if that can even come off as it looks like it has sealant round the edges. It’s not the fuel tank because that’s in front where I see the pipes going into. It’s driving me absolute bonkers and I’m starting to think if a stone or something has got into those tiny little holes situated in the metal of the boot I’m never going to be able to get that out?! I can hear it flicking up against metal when I drive quickly down a motorway etc. I was wondering what you guys thought? I will try and get a video of the sound also when I go for a drive later, but I definitely think there’s something stuck in the body work of the trunk, but there’s no way of getting to it.

Any questions please do ask. Thanks

Back