Brake pads

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

How many miles are you all getting on your brake pads on 17+ cX-5’s? I’m currently at 9k, and mine look ok, but I’m going to upgrade my pads when they need replacing. Anyway, just curious how many miles you all are getting on these Mazda’s?

Thanks!

Depending on your commute type.
I got 50/50, and, at 46K miles, there are still 4mm left at all corners.

Depending on your commute type.
I got 50/50, and, at 46K miles, there are still 4mm left at all corners.
I always try to be conservative, letting up on gas when I see a light turning yellow, then braking gently.
Coasting down Interstate hills, even downshifting. I had the same thing on a Honda Accord. I believe nowadays the rear brakes come on more than the fronts first when braking to avoid nose dive.

48K kms and I'm just starting to get a squeaking on the left side. I'm due for a service but I will let you know if I need brakes.

In general (and through personal experience) it seems that on vehicles with four wheel disc brakes, it's almost always the rears that need servicing/replacing first. Not sure why though.
This was true on two Nissans I had, and it's starting to look my 2017 6 is going the same way.
After 3 years, my fronts still look like new, but the rears are not looking that good.
The discs have grooves gouged in them already, and they are rusty.
I only have 19,000 kms on this car (about 12,000 miles) and I figure I'll be replacing rear discs and pads well before I hit 20K miles. Sad really.

In general (and through personal experience) it seems that on vehicles with four wheel disc brakes, it's almost always the rears that need servicing/replacing first. Not sure why though.

Well, from my (probably lot longer) experience, I don't think it's four wheel disc brakes that's the common factor. All the cars I've owned, back from the late 70's (incl. Alfa AlfaSud, VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Audi 4000/90/A4/A6, Honda Odyssey, Pontiac Solstice GXP, etc.), have had 4-wheel disc brakes. All of them up until our 2014 Mazda have worn the rear brakes far less than the fronts. In fact usually I averaged 2 fronts changes to only one rear change

I was really surprised to find that our older CX-5 had worn the rear brakes down to nothing while the fronts were still good. I assume that will hold for our 2019 too, when we have enough miles on it.

Well, from my (probably lot longer) experience, I don't think it's four wheel disc brakes that's the common factor. All the cars I've owned, back from the late 70's (incl. Alfa AlfaSud, VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Audi 4000/90/A4/A6, Honda Odyssey, Pontiac Solstice GXP, etc.), have had 4-wheel disc brakes. All of them up until our 2014 Mazda have worn the rear brakes far less than the fronts. In fact usually I averaged 2 fronts changes to only one rear change

I was really surprised to find that our older CX-5 had worn the rear brakes down to nothing while the fronts were still good. I assume that will hold for our 2019 too, when we have enough miles on it.
Well, unfortunately, every car I've ever owned with four wheel discs have had the rears go first, no exception. Lucky you I guess.
As for your "probably longer" experience comment, I highly doubt it.
I started driving (illegally of course) at the age of 13. I got my license at 16, in 1965.
Yes, I'm that old, (and still going strong I might add).
Cheers.

It's a car vs SUV thing. On cars the fronts tend to wear faster and new pads are much thicker on the fronts to account for that. Newer SUVs have the brake programming set to where the rear brakes do most of the initial braking to prevent them from nose diving when braking hard. This means the rear pads usually wear at faster

Back