30K Maintenance at Dealers?

:
2016 cx-9 signature
Quick question, going into 30K real soon, just passed 29K, about to be out of warranty...Saw a whole bunch of "I"s on the owner's manual
Should I still go to the dealer and do the maintenance?

The "I"s in the Scheduled Maintenance stand for "Inspect". "T" stands for "Tighten". You can do all of the inspections yourself if you know what to look for (or if you're willing to do some Googling and Youtubing to learn how). But if you're not that mechanically inclined, or you simply don't have the time or the interest, you can go to the dealer, or take it to an independent shop and ask them to do the inspection. If you take it to an indy shop, give them a copy of the maintenance schedule and ask them to sign it when it's been completed.

If you DIY, to maintain your warranty, just keep a running log of what you inspected and the date, and include receipts for any parts/fluids used during maintenance. If you go to a dealership or an indy shop, just keep a copy of the invoice and make sure it's signed by the service advisor or mechanic.

sm1ke has good advice. You only need to go to the dealership for warranty repairs or for service bulletins or recalls. Otherwise the work can be done elsewhere. All those inspections are great opportunities...for the dealer to sell you repair work your car doesn't really need yet. Keep in mind that the service writer gets paid only on commission on the services they sell to you. The service department is the dealership owner's gold mine. Shields up!

Just a heads up, many Mazda run promos towards service. For me, it runs around 39+Tax for rotation, oil change and inspections. I know this is more expensive than doing it yourself but for me was worth avoiding the hassle while I was under warranty. I'll probably start doing it myself now

Back