2016~2023 Local dealer refuses to use full synthetic oil as part of 30K Service?

The local shop used 0w20 on mine and charge extra. I have no clue. Any one experienced this can enlighten me plz.
Go back to your local shop and demand they change the oil right away, for free. The turbo should not be running 0w20 oil. 5w30 only. Show them the users manual if they don't believe you.
I would also go to a dealer first and buy the right filter and then have the shop replace it as well. Guaranteed they installed the wrong filter. Buggers.
Then on your next oil change, go somewhere else.

Novice here: local Mazda dealer I've been having my car serviced every 4-5K miles uses 5W-30 synthetic blend when I asked. What's the difference?

Do you mean synthetic blend vs. synthetic?

1. Full Synthetic Oil​

Due to its highly refined nature and addition of synthetic additive compounds, synthetic oil performs far better than any other motor oil.

A synthetic oil change interval can go about 5,000 miles on the lower end without an oil change. And its best performance can take you anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 miles before it needs changing.

2. Synthetic Blend Oil​

On the other hand, a synthetic blend oil change can achieve an average of 6,000 miles. It performs far better than mineral oil but not as much as fully synthetic engine oil.

Some synthetic blend motor oil brands may even guarantee 7,500 miles without a synthetic blend oil change. This is due to their ratio of conventional base oils to synthetic base oil.

The local shop used 0w20 on mine and charge extra. I have no clue. Any one experienced this can enlighten me plz.
0W-20 was required on certain older Mazdas. It is wrong for your 2016 & later CX9. The people there are too full of themselves to bother reading the "5W-30" on the oil filler cap. As noted above, demand a free change to 5W-30 right now, then change shops.

I would not allow anyone (dealership or not) to fill my car with non-synthetic oil. If I'm not entirely convinced that they use synthetic oil, I'd much rather bring my own oil. I'm planning on keeping my car for a long time and I don't want to jeopardize that.

There is something confusing about maintenance intervals of cars in North America. In Europe/rest of the world, oil change intervals are way less frequent (up to 18500 miles) whereas I have to replace mine every 5000 miles. In the UK, my CX-5 can go 12500 miles between oil changes.

Manufacturers often use the weather as an excuse. But even the "flexible schedule" (which I assume is used in parts of the US with milder weather) only allows for 7500 miles.

"Mazda Genuine Oil" is fully synthetic, and will most probably work just fine for way longer than 5000/7500 miles -- even in cold weather.

The faster change in cold weather is partly to mitigate the issue of fuel dilution, which is more prone to happen in cold weather.

By changing your oil more frequently, the fuel dilution level remains low. I don’t know if this is the complete reason why our oil change frequency is so short, but it is one of the advantages.

Also, in Canada where we are not allowed to use the flexible schedule and are stuck to more frequent oil change, we have a 5 year-unlimited mileage powertrain warranty. It is possible the more frequent mileage allowed mazda enough confidence to offer that better warranty. Mazda as a way stronger presence in Canada than in the US, so it is not like they really needed that good of a warranty up here to secure market share.

All speculation, but potential factors which may have played in the shorter recommended duration between oil changes for specific geographical areas.

The best way to safely extend your oil change duration is to send it out for oil analysis, that way you can determine exactly when your oil is not good anymore and set your own oil change frequency. Oil changes aren’t super expensive though, so in the end it may offer limited return on investment.

Last edited:
For the CX-5 from Mazda UK: "
Every new vehicle is covered by a 3-year
warranty for up to 60,000 miles, including a 3-year paintwork warranty, and a
12-year perforation warranty. We also offer Extended Warranties to extend the
cover for your Mazda. Mazda Roadside Assistance offers cover in the event you
require breakdown assistance, your vehicle is stolen or is involved in an accident.
The maximum service interval for your Mazda is 12,500 miles or 12 months
whichever occurs first, however, the servicing intervals may reduce based on the
style of driving and the conditions under which your vehicle is operated."

Is this maintenance schedule dependant on engine choice in the UK? It seems like there are 3 engine choice in the UK, In addition to the 2.5L we have in NA, The CX-5 in the UK is also available with a 2.0 liter petrol or a 2.2 diesel.

Also available with manual transmissions!

Also vehicles sometime have different hardware on the same engine. For example in some markets the CX-9 has an additional oil cooler we don’t have in North-America.

"Mazda Genuine Oil" is fully synthetic, and will most probably work just fine for way longer than 5000/7500 miles -- even in cold weather.
The Mazda 0w20 is synthetic but there is a 5w30 Mazda oil that is not synthetic. It might be ok for less miles but be sure to get full synthetic oil for long-term use.

0w20 oil, Mazda branded or not is full synthetic. It cannot physically be made from crude oil. All other grades above that can be regular or blend. Use only full synthetic 5w30 and change no later than 5k miles for this vehicle if you want it to last. Oil is cheap, engines are not

Last edited:
Funny, when i asked my dealer to put in synthetic oil in my CX-9, they said that’s the only thing they have for the CX-9 and was already included in the price.

Funny how the story change between dealers.
What is even funnier: I requested a synthetic oil change at my Mazda dealer (had to bring in for another issue), and they refused saying they will not put synthetic oil in the CX-9 Turbo engine. Service manager actually said synthetic oil would be worse for the turbo engine!!

Back