Maintenance schedule question

Hello,

I am new to Mazda, not so new to maintaining my vehicles on my own. We recently bought a CPO 2019 CX-9 GT and it is in need of an oil change. I see that the dealer set the maintenance schedule to fixed but I will set it to flexible when I change the oil. I definitely fall into Schedule 1 according to the Scheduled Maintenance, however what is bothering me is that I don't understand why the engine air filter and cabin air filter need to be changed LESS often when driven in severe conditions compared to "regular". Am I missing something? I am currently just below 20 k miles. Thank you!

I do the air filter and cabin filter based on visual. In my case, 20k for the cabin filter and 30k for the air filter. You can easily inspect both yourself (and save yourself $50 in fees by changing yourself).

As for engine oil, if the dealer is doing it, 5k max as they are likely using bulk oil. As it’s a GDI Tubro, I’d recommend a cheap “full synthetic” like Castrol Edge or Mobil One.

I just looked at the engine air filter and it was clean so it will not be replaced at this time. The cabin air filter I already replaced around 15-16k and it wasn't bad. I was planning on going Mobil One 5W-30 and Mazda filter.

"I was planning on going...Mazda filter."
Good idea. The car makers don't publish filter specs like they do the industry-standard specs for oil; the filter makers reverse engineer the filters and sometimes pick one from their catalog that is likely close enough. While there are top quality after market filters, in the unlikely case of an engine failure due to poor lubrication it is best to have the car maker's filter when there is a warranty claim. Keep good records of the oil change date & mileage and save the dated oil & filter receipts.

Back