Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 60.2%

• Total voters
After back and forth with Mazda, gathering information to enlighten me about the coolant leak, I was able to compile enough supporting evidence with regard to the manufacturing defect. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and that is why I purchased it but....I had no clue of the defect issues until now. I did have to educate myself in order to defend my rights so I joined groups and found this site to see what others were saying. I have been disputing this issue with Mazda Corp since 3-18-23 because they would not accept liability and it was a back and forth thing.

I decided to go and met with the Manager who called in the head mechanic after I explained my situation. I provided all the documentation I had as well as my maintenance records from the time of purchase to current. I further advised them that social media was the greatest thing. That they should google this problem to see all the complaints everyone is having.

1. I was told that I was not a loyal customer because I did not have my car serviced with them and if I had, the outcome would have been different since the get go. I asked them if I was being discriminated because I went to my own certified mechanic. This sort of manipulation or discrimination is illegal which I did mention to them. If I am still paying for my car and own a Mazda, I am a loyal customer. I have my car serviced with a certified mechanic.
The manager went so far as to ask me if he was Mazda certified! I replied he is not required to be.

2. I had to mention exposure to the medial regarding this issue so others would be aware of Mazda's knowledge on this defect.

3. I asked why there hasn't been a recall, they do not consider it to be a life threatening issue...really what if I were on the freeway and my engine blows?

4. I was told that because I have a 3rd party warranty, that supersedes theirs. I stated I didn't need to tell you I had one, but why lie about it. I had to inform them that if it's a manufacturing defect, my warranty would not cover as I have read this happen to others.

I stood firm with my decision to move forward with exposure if needed. I reiterated that I honestly do not care how t's taken care of as long as no money comes out of my pocket.

I finally got a call today from Mazda's head mechanic and was told I needed a whole new engine. He also went to say that Mazda's warranty company told him "just order her a new engine” Mazda is well aware of this problem and it's happened a lot.

Finally light at the end of the tunnel!!! I couldn't be happier to have this nightmare resolved.

I am attaching the two bulletins that show how far back this issue has gone should you need them.
I am happy that you had a good outcome. Which dealership was this. Mazda USA refused to pay any of the cost of replacing my engine. They gave same reason as what you stated above. I had to pay $10K out of pocket to fix it.

Isn't there some consumer lemon law that protects customers from this type of crap? I don't understand how there isn't a class action lawsuit or anything going on to hold Mazda accountable for this.

Isn't there some consumer lemon law that protects customers from this type of crap? I don't understand how there isn't a class action lawsuit or anything going on to hold Mazda accountable for this.
I followed up with a couple of lawyers. They all told me their was nothing I could legally do. The lemon law requires that the car still be under warranty and you have a record of constantly having to take it in for repairs. They said I had no case.

I followed up with a couple of lawyers. They all told me their was nothing I could legally do. The lemon law requires that the car still be under warranty and you have a record of constantly having to take it in for repairs. They said I had no case.
If that's the case and there really is no recourse, then the only thing we can do is never buy a Mazda again and let everyone and their mother know about this Mazda defect screw up so they're scared off from buying a Mazda also.

Someone who has the time and is motivated enough (not me) could try to get some traditional/social media attention on this and basically shame Mazda into covering this. Contact all sorts of new outlets and get some stories published.

Unfortunately the drivetrain warranty is what it is. So even in a case like this where a manufacturer defect becomes known, the company is under no obligation to cover past the warranty period. It really shows how the typical 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is inadequate. It's the essence of the car that one expects to last 200K miles without much fuss. Too bad the standard isn't 100K warranties like Hyundai/Kia. Although they've been known to wiggle out of claims under 100K.

Wow, The Wizard got most of his info wrong. Thinks it's a blown head gasket, not the case.

Worse, is that he thinks that all the parts are basically Ford when 0% is Ford.

I've watched him a lot through Hoovies Garage, but I sure wouldn't want him pulling my engine apart!

Agreed on inaccuracies.. but this will likely lead to more awareness of the concern on these engines since he has over 800K viewers

Agreed on inaccuracies.. but this will likely lead to more awareness of the concern on these engines since he has over 800K viewers
Agreed. Since he has such a big audience, it would be good if he made a follow up correction video providing the correct info AND also talking about the TSB and Mazda acknowledging the widespread issue and publicly shaming them.

The more exposure and bad publicity for Mazda the more likely they'll be shamed into taking care of their customers experiencing this problem that they caused.

I just can't believe that idiot is still saying it's a Ford engine and it was only a head gasket when anyone doing 5 minutes worth of research to look up a TSB or make a couple of calls would know about the head needing to be replaced to fix. Never liked this guy since he was started on YouTube. Guy is a rip off to boot. He should have just pulled the engine instead of removing all of those parts, it would have been much easier and less time. He thinks he's all that. Not!

I just can't believe that idiot is still saying it's a Ford engine and it was only a head gasket when anyone doing 5 minutes worth of research to look up a TSB or make a couple of calls would know about the head needing to be replaced to fix. Never liked this guy since he was started on YouTube. Guy is a rip off to boot. He should have just pulled the engine instead of removing all of those parts, it would have been much easier and less time. He thinks he's all that. Not!
It’s possible that this particular 2.5T does have a bad head gasket as he did show the wore-out coating on the head gasket where the coolant was leaking out from the area.

Taking the engine out would be more involved with even more labor hours and remove more parts, may even have to disconnect the AC lines. Replacing the cylinder head in the engine bay definitely is cheaper to do.

He also raised another potential issue of those 5 hidden coolant plugs which have already shown some sign of wet and you have to get the entire cylinder head once those are leaking as those plugs aren’t available separately.

I do feel his video is informative and interesting to watch, even thought Ford has nothing to do with Mazda’s SkyActiv engines.

There are a few threads regarding the 2.5 turbo coolant leak problem and ultimately having to replace the engine. What I'd like to know is there anything that can be inspected and possibly fixed with this issue before it gets to the point of actually needing a new engine?

Edit:
I updated the thread to include a poll now of who is and isn't having this issue.

If you've had this done, please comment on the model year, how many miles you had when it occurred, when you first noticed the issue, if Mazda covered the cost under warranty, and any other details.

Also those with higher miles and no issues let us know how many miles so far.

MOD EDIT: With regard to the poll, please understand that this poll does not accurately represent how prevalent this issue is. It is a voluntary poll, posted on an online forum that most people typically join to get answers to issues they are having. The poll does not take into account members who chose not to participate, members from other social media platforms, or non-members with (or without) this issue.
Just got a mazda 6 2018 2.5 with 67k miles from a dealer 1 month ago and just yesterday i went for a inspection at the mazda dealership and well they told me that theres is a crack in the back of the cylinder and the cost to repair is 6k 🙄

Just got a mazda 6 2018 2.5 with 67k miles from a dealer 1 month ago and just yesterday i went for a inspection at the mazda dealership and well they told me that theres is a crack in the back of the cylinder and the cost to repair is 6k 🙄
Does your 2.5L have turbo?

Mazda 6 2018 2.5 with only 68k miles with coolant leaking, took to mazda and they said it has a crack in the back of the cylinder they don’t want to cover or do anything! The only thing they said were sorry and the cost of 6207.44 plus align 109.99 lol first time having a mazda and last !

Mazda 6 2018 2.5 with only 68k miles with coolant leaking, took to mazda and they said it has a crack in the back of the cylinder they don’t want to cover or do anything! The only thing they said were sorry and the cost of 6207.44 plus align 109.99 lol first time having a mazda and last !

Did you buy it from a Mazda dealer? They would probably fix such a problem before selling one of their own cars. Selling the car with a pre-existing coolant leak sounds like something an independent car dealership, who is less likely to be aware of this issue, would do.

Is there no way to return the car to the selling dealership? Or to get them to cover the cost of the repair? The independent dealerships I've dealt with in the past always offer a "guarantee" or "warranty" of some kind, even if it's only 3-6 months.

Did you buy it from a Mazda dealer? They would probably fix such a problem before selling one of their own cars. Selling the car with a pre-existing coolant leak sounds like something an independent car dealership, who is less likely to be aware of this issue, would do.

Is there no way to return the car to the selling dealership? Or to get them to cover the cost of the repair? The independent dealerships I've dealt with in the past always offer a "guarantee" or "warranty" of some kind, even if it's only 3-6 months.
Yupp it was from a independent dealership and financed, the dealer excuse was that i was driving the car fast LOL. they said they could repair for 2800 instead of 6k but im not gonna trust

Yupp it was from a independent dealership and financed, the dealer excuse was that i was driving the car fast LOL. they said they could repair for 2800 instead of 6k but im not gonna trust

That's effed, they should be taking ownership of the issue. Unless they can prove it was your fault, it should be on them for selling you a damaged car. You could maybe ask to speak to the dealership owner, and if they won't do anything about it, tell them that you'll go to the media with your story. Generally it doesn't cost anything to go to the media, you just have to contact a journalist and see if they'd be willing to pursue the story.

But if you can't get them to fix it, you can try contacting Mazda Corporate to see if there's anything they can do to help. Even if it's out of warranty, there is a small chance that they will goodwill the repair, or at least assist with the cost a bit. Never hurts to ask.

That's effed, they should be taking ownership of the issue. Unless they can prove it was your fault, it should be on them for selling you a damaged car. You could maybe ask to speak to the dealership owner, and if they won't do anything about it, tell them that you'll go to the media with your story. Generally it doesn't cost anything to go to the media, you just have to contact a journalist and see if they'd be willing to pursue the story.

But if you can't get them to fix it, you can try contacting Mazda Corporate to see if there's anything they can do to help. Even if it's out of warranty, there is a small chance that they will goodwill the repair, or at least assist with the cost a bit. Never hurts to ask.
I would fix but my main concern is that it seems to be something normal between those 2.5 engines what if i fix and it happens again lol, its just messed up having to replace a engine with only 68k miles on it yk

Back