2013~2016 CX-5 Vibration Issue…

:
Mazda, CX-5 Grand Touring
So… out of the blue, my 2014 CX-5 with about 117k mi started vibrating when I accelerate. The whole front end shakes and the steering wheel. If I let go of the gas, it stops shaking but constant pressure on the pedal, it vibrates. I took it in to check both front tires and wheels for balancing and they were balanced and it’s still happening! It starts as low as about 20mph but it does sorta get better when I hit 65+. Any help is appreciated. Thank you! 🤙🏾

I’d check the engine mounts first and there’re 3.

95570167-8F4E-41E3-A1FB-8EB9FB4511B6.jpeg

2 thoughts as well as the engine mounts, was anything new installed lately? CV joints were looked at while you had the wheels balanced?

Does it shake when the vehicle is stationary? i.e. gear in "P".
If it is the engine mount, you can see the engine moves when pressing gas pedal (stationary, gear in P). More movement than normal.

If there is no shaking when vehicle is not moving.... then, I doubt it is the engine mount.
In that case, could be wheel/suspension/AT.

Set up more scenarios to rule them out one by one.
That is what I would do.
Good luck.

I think this is the problem
Although this needs to be fixed either by replacing the boot or an entire drive shaft, but from my past experience a worn CV joint should only make clicking noise especially when you‘re making turns. It shouldn’t cause a severe vibration suddenly.

Nevertheless please keep us posted.

Although this needs to be fixed either by replacing the boot or an entire drive shaft, but from my past experience a worn CV joint should only make clicking noise especially when you‘re making turns. It shouldn’t cause a severe vibration suddenly.

Nevertheless please keep us posted.
Disagree. The massive tear lets all kinds of stuff in to degrade the joint. Enough degradation finally happened to cause the vibration problem. Problem has been there for a while and one day decided to rear its head. May have gotten something in there like small road debris to exasperate the problem quickly. You wouldn't necessarily here clicking on turns...it's the inside CV joint, not subject to the same turning as the outside CV joint,

Last edited:
Another thought: that's a strange location for something to go in there and do that kind of damage. It's the joint out of the transmission/transfer case. You'd think the bottom plastic panels would've protected that from a big impact. Usually the inner CV boots are tougher than the outer ones due to being exposed to engine heat.

Looks pretty wet around there as well. How's the fluid level inside?

Another thought: that's a strange location for something to go in there and do that kind of damage. It's the joint out of the transmission/transfer case. You'd think the bottom plastic panels would've protected that from a big impact. Usually the inner CV boots are tougher than the outer ones due to being exposed to engine heat.
Since I usually catch the torn boot on outer CV joint early and I simply replace the boot from OEM boot kit as the CV joint is still in good shape. The right inner boot on my 1998 Honda CR-V has torn for a couple of years since it got contaminated by the engine oil near by (and may be heat?). I’m lazy to replace the boot at this time, but the car drives perfectly fine, no clicks, no vibrations. I’m amazed that the 2 front outer boots are still from factory on the CR-V, 25 years and 189K miles! Must be made by some kind of special synthetic rubber.

In OP’s case the vibration certainly could be caused by a severely worn front inner CV joint. The inner boot could get damaged by the engine oil (and heat?) like my CR-V’s as it’s supposed to be protected from foreign objects by the plastic cover.

Since I usually catch the torn boot on outer CV joint early and I simply replace the boot from OEM boot kit as the CV joint is still in good shape. The right inner boot on my 1998 Honda CR-V has torn for a couple of years since it got contaminated by the engine oil near by (and may be heat?). I’m lazy to replace the boot at this time, but the car drives perfectly fine, no clicks, no vibrations. I’m amazed that the 2 front outer boots are still from factory on the CR-V, 25 years and 189K miles! Must be made by some kind of special synthetic rubber.

In OP’s case the vibration certainly could be caused by a severely worn front inner CV joint. The inner boot could get damaged by the engine oil (and heat?) like my CR-V’s as it’s supposed to be protected from foreign objects by the plastic cover.
I don't know, suppose it's possible. That's a damn peculiar tear. Usually they start as a crack in one of the folds and then grease spews out and you'll see a ring of grease around the area from centrifugal force pulling it out of the boot. That almost looks like some one gouged it with a screw driver or something. Just looks weird. It's hard for me to believe something got in there and tore a chunk out, Suppose it's possible. Or maybe you're right, a piece of the internals just let loose and flew out.

I don't know, suppose it's possible. That's a damn peculiar tear. Usually they start as a crack in one of the folds and then grease spews out and you'll see a ring of grease around the area from centrifugal force pulling it out of the boot. That almost looks like some one gouged it with a screw driver or something. Just looks weird. It's hard for me to believe something got in there and tore a chunk out, Suppose it's possible. Or maybe you're right, a piece of the internals just let loose and flew out.
Yeh the damage on the boot looks very weird. And it’s a inner boot which is well protected. We can only let the OP tell us what happened after he examined the old drive shaft. The only question I still have is a severely worn CV joint which can cause the vibration should make some clicking noise where the OP has never mentioned.

Yeh the damage on the boot looks very weird. And it’s a inner boot which is well protected. We can only let the OP tell us what happened after he examined the old drive shaft. The only question I still have is a severely worn CV joint which can cause the vibration should make some clicking noise where the OP has never mentioned.
Maybe it did and he didn't hear it. I don't remember hearing clicking sounds on a straightaway, only on turns. This probably wouldn't click on turns seeing it's the inner CVJ and wouldn't flex that much. Hard to tell.

I think this is the problem
Have you had this car since new ? That looks like it didn't happen recently and could be damage from prior ownership if you bought it used. I've had bad CV joints in the past and would get a vibration in the steering wheel between 65 and 75 mph. Usually gone by 80 mph. And this is with a split boot and a lot of grease slung around and before it ever makes a clicking sound. I would think this would be noticeable before any big shaking occurred at low speed. Have any repair shops even DRIVEN it to diagnose the problem?

Have you had this car since new ? That looks like it didn't happen recently and could be damage from prior ownership if you bought it used. I've had bad CV joints in the past and would get a vibration in the steering wheel between 65 and 75 mph. Usually gone by 80 mph. And this is with a split boot and a lot of grease slung around and before it ever makes a clicking sound. I would think this would be noticeable before any big shaking occurred at low speed. Have any repair shops even DRIVEN it to diagnose the problem?
Yea, I bought it new but Hawaii has some bad roads. And my CX5 is lowered. I think it may have been from a pothole with rocks laying around and it probably came up under the plastic cover and flung around:/

Back