2013~2016 CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

Definitely not genuine Mazda but I'm okay with that. Not like it's a spark plug! Haha

ok, that answers my question. The Mazda "gasket" is just an overpriced m18 crush washer. They're cheap at the local auto parts store as that engine oil plug gasket is an overpriced m14 crush washer . Heck, I might even have a few in the basement by accident. Looks like I'm in business

ok, that answers my question. The Mazda "gasket" is just an overpriced m18 crush washer. They're cheap at the local auto parts store as that engine oil plug gasket is an overpriced m14 crush washer . Heck, I might even have a few in the basement by accident. Looks like I'm in business
Yea, nothing special. Hell, I almost never actually change them. But on a trans, diff or xfer case I am a little more picky.

Yea, nothing special. Hell, I almost never actually change them. But on a trans, diff or xfer case I am a little more picky.
Whole bag for 7 bucks. Guess we'll find out how they fit in a few days.

m18.jpg

Whole bag for 7 bucks. Guess we'll find out how they fit in a few days.

View attachment 318064
These things are an exact fit FYI. Job took under 45 minutes, eazy peazy. Fluid was a light brownish color. I expected worse since i took it through some overflowing creeks a few times during a flooding rain storm. The top plug was surprisingly dry, drained about 14 ounces.

IMG_20230326_121508021_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230326_121454090_HDR.jpg

These things are an exact fit FYI. Job took under 45 minutes, eazy peazy. Fluid was a light brownish color. I expected worse since i took it through some overflowing creeks a few times during a flooding rain storm. The top plug was surprisingly dry, drained about 14 ounces.

View attachment 318134View attachment 318133
Is it the first time you change the gear oil on front transfer case and rear differential for your 2016.5 CX-5? How much did you use to fill both? Are you using SG-1?

Is it the first time you change the gear oil on front transfer case and rear differential for your 2016.5 CX-5? How much did you use to fill both? Are you using SG-1?
First time in 7 years and 75k miles of ownership, just the rear differential so far. Plan on transfer case and trans in a few weeks. Took 2/3 quart just like the other folks. Used Mazda G1.

First time in 7 years and 75k miles of ownership, just the rear differential so far. Plan on transfer case and trans in a few weeks. Took 2/3 quart just like the other folks. Used Mazda G1.
So the factory spec is 0.48 quart and you drained 14 ounces (0.4375 quart) from rear differential. When you refill you needed 0.67 quart to bring the gear oil level to the fill hole brim as stated in the factory workshop manual. The factory fill in rear differential usually is pretty low.

Last edited:
So the factory spec is 0.45 quart and you drained 14 ounces (0.4375 quart) from rear differential. When you refill you needed 0.67 quart to bring the gear oil level to the fill hole brim as stated in the factory workshop manual. The factory fill in rear differential usually is pretty low.
Have not done mine but dont you put it up to the fill hole? That not always the case though. Chevy 1/2 ton trucks always have the pinion seal leaking. Why? Cuz the book says 5/8" to 1-5/8" below the hole is full. And some dummies fill it to the hole. I made that mistake years ago, cought it that same day. Put in 2.75, book says 2.1. Dont be "that guy"

Have not done mine but dont you put it up to the fill hole? That not always the case though. Chevy 1/2 ton trucks always have the pinion seal leaking. Why? Cuz the book says 5/8" to 1-5/8" below the hole is full. And some dummies fill it to the hole. I made that mistake years ago, cought it that same day. Put in 2.75, book says 2.1. Dont be "that guy"
If you read Mazda’s factory workshop manual:

6DF13DBF-02CA-43AA-8898-9185285DED49.jpeg

463ACACA-3AAA-4693-B389-9BDB032DE1FB.jpeg

For both front transfer case and rear differential, the manual says fill the gear oil to the brim of the fill hole which is a standard practice to fill the transfer case、differential、and manual transmission. It indeed takes about 0.48 quart like the manual says for front transfer case, but strangely it takes about 0.67 ~ 0.75 quart for real differential although the manual says 0.48 quart!

Last edited:

View attachment 318177

View attachment 318178

For both front transfer case and rear differential, the manual says fill the gear oil to the brim of the fill hole which is a standard practice to fill the transfer case、differential、and manual transmission. It indeed takes about 0.48 quart like the manual says for front transfer case, but strangely it takes about 0.67 ~ 0.75 quart for real differential although the manual says 0.48 quart!
That's pretty much what I did, just pumped fluid in there and let in run out, put the filler plug back in when it stopped. I was looking at a 2013 service manual (got it on this sight). Some oil was still trapped in the pump and long pump hosing so I can't really tell how much is in there, ended up being 2/3 out of the bottle. What year manual are you quoting from yrwei52?

Some other points as was said before on this thread, it is tight on the top plug. I used my favorite 3/8 drive 12" long ratchet with a pipe attachment for extra torque with a low profile 23mm socket to crack that plug loose, was relatively easy even after being on there for 7 years and subject to the road salt of PENNDOT. Had to get a skinnier 3/8 drive torque wrench to fit in there also, nothing I had fit. Also, that $7 fluid pump from Harbor Freight was fast and efficient. Soaked both plugs with Gibbs lubricant a few days earlier. Can't believe the dealer wanted $200 to do this...un-freaking believable.

tools.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I did, just pumped fluid in there and let in run out, put the filler plug back in when it stopped. I was looking at a 2013 service manual (got it on this sight). Some oil was still trapped in the pump and long pump hosing so I can't really tell how much is in there, ended up being 2/3 out of the bottle. What year manual are you quoting from yrwei52?
The document is for 2016 CX-5 posted by Anchorman a while ago.

Finally found a couple of pdf attachments thanks to our great Anchorman! I converted them to jpg's and here they are:

View attachment 221836
attachment.php

View attachment 221837
attachment.php

Just make sure when you follow the procedure, you need 0.75 ~ 0.85 quart gear lube for rear differential than stated 0.48 quart (0.37 quart for gen-2 CX-5).

⋯ Also, that $7 fluid pump from Harbor Freight was fast and efficient.
Thanks for the hint and with 51K miles on my 2016 CX-5 I’m about to do the change too. Can you provide a picture or link on the fluid pump from HFT?

I feel violated, bought my first bottle of SG1 at Amazon for over $40, just picked up my second bottle at my dealer for $29 including a 15% coupon. Could've saved $20! Pissed!

I feel violated, bought my first bottle of SG1 at Amazon for over $40, just picked up my second bottle at my dealer for $29 including a 15% coupon. Could've saved $20! Pissed!
Yeh that’s what I’ve found recently that the price at Amazon is outrageous nowadays. I’d try to find other sources before I purchase the goods from Amazon.

And I’m usually getting the OEM parts directly from dealers with coupons I can find. I’d like to see the actual parts in person before I make a decision to purchase it.

Not just the SG-1, I also found the FL-22 is much cheaper at my Mazda dealer. I’d imagine the same on Mazda ATF FZ. One thing is in common, liquid product. And shipping cost is the major difference too IMO.

Yeh that’s what I’ve found recently that the price at Amazon is outrageous nowadays. I’d try to find other sources before I purchase the goods from Amazon.

And I’m usually getting the OEM parts directly from dealers with coupons I can find. I’d like to see the actual parts in person before I make a decision to purchase it.

Not just the SG-1, I also found the FL-22 is much cheaper at my Mazda dealer. I’d imagine the same on Mazda ATF FZ. One thing is in common, liquid product. And shipping cost is the major difference too IMO.
I got the FZ for $14 and change per quart with the coupon, normal price was $17, cheaper than Amazon.

Used to be that Amazon would have the best prices on nearly everything. Not so much anymore. I do a bit of comparison shopping before buying anything these days.

Last edited:
Used to be that Amazon would have the best prices on nearly everything. Not so much anymore. I do a bit of comparison shopping before buying anything these days.
Amen to that. I've seen Amazon charge almost double for some items compared to elsewhere. And likewise what seems like a reasonable price on ebay (compared to the overpriced stuff there) , you may get it cheaper from the manufacturers website . It seems the good deals on ebay are shrinking compared to the past. And don't even go looking for something "vintage" which is another term for way overpriced junk from yesteryear. Hilarious actually.

View attachment 318177

View attachment 318178

I know the rear diff says level surface which I guess I could do by skipping the ramps, but for the front transfer case is there any issue with using front ramps only and filling to fill plug level? I don’t really feel like trying to roll up on both front and rear ramps by myself with no spotter, I can never really tell how it’s going and using 2 sets of ramps makes me weary.

Back