2023 CX-5 Clicking sound

Dear all,

I have a brand new 2023 CX-5 and I think I'm going crazy with this sound... I have search around the web to find any solution but I can't find any fix for it. The sound is like a click that I hear coming from the instrument panel, but I have been reading that it might not be coming from there... To give you a better explanation, I have the same exactly sound from this video (from another person):

I love this car, is amazing... but this specific sound is driving me crazy. I took it to the dealer 2 times and they basically told me to wait for it to become more noisy and constant because it is impossible to track it. Both of the times when I was in a test-drive with the mechanic, there was no sound at all... so I understand that it is almost impossible to track it because there is not a pattern on it to replicate the sound. Is not a constant sound, it appears on bumps or not smooth roads.

Has anyone found on a similar situation like me and found a solution? All the threads I have look around are related to old models from 2012-2015 but I don't find anything more updated.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Check the passenger side seat belt buckle sometimes they hit the plastic near it.

Check the sunglass holder. There's been a few posts on here and it turned out to be the holder.

I had a annoying squeak on my passenger seat when my wife sat on it. Nobody else caused the squeak. Turns out there was a slim CD case down between the seat and my wife's weight (about 120lb) was just the right weight to get it to squeak.

Check the passenger side seat belt buckle sometimes they hit the plastic near it.

Check the sunglass holder. There's been a few posts on here and it turned out to be the holder.

I had a annoying squeak on my passenger seat when my wife sat on it. Nobody else caused the squeak. Turns out there was a slim CD case down between the seat and my wife's weight (about 120lb) was just the right weight to get it to squeak.
Unfortunately is none of these.

I appreciate the answers. I'm still trying to find what is the cause...

I had a clicking sound when first bought. Turns out it was the garage door opener...the clamp was loose and clicking against itself.

It's hard to hear a clicking sound in the video. I hear a lot of road noise.

We need some more clues - have you turned the climate control system off and do you still hear it? Have you removed everything non-paper from the glove box, center console, etc. Does it do it at idle? If not at what speed? In a 5 mile drive how often do you hear it?
Do you hear it on flat roads or does the road have to be rough?
Have you checked tires to make sure there's not something imbedded in the tread? Have you checked engine to make sure there's not a loose cap. Have you looked under the car to make sure there's not something loose? Have you checked rear seats to make sure they're attached tightly?
This can make noises and seem like it's coming from somewhere else.

There's hundreds of things that can make noise in the cabin and tough to zero in on.

I watched the video and it sounds like metal on metal contact from what I am hearing but I could be wrong. Might be easier to diagnose this issue if you take everything out of your vehicle (e.g. sunglasses, items inside the center console/passenger storage compartment/trunk etc.) A few things I would check for:
  1. Can you check your hood latch to make sure it's secure? Sometimes the hood may not be closed all the way.

2. Does the noise only appear when the weather is cold or is it constant? If it's only during the cold seasons, then it could be the panels contacting.

3. Try gently wiggling some of the items that can move and see if you can recreate the noise.

4. Try using the palm of your hand and gently tapping onto some of the trim pieces to see if the noise comes about.

5. Did you drop anything into the fake air vents at the dash? I have a 16.5 CX-5 and there's two fake air vents, one at the left corner and one at the right corner near the windshield.

6. It could be something that is trapped onto the undercarriage splash shield near the engine bay (e.g. rocks, pinecone, a screw or metal rod).

Dear all,

I have a brand new 2023 CX-5 and I think I'm going crazy with this sound... I have search around the web to find any solution but I can't find any fix for it. The sound is like a click that I hear coming from the instrument panel, but I have been reading that it might not be coming from there... To give you a better explanation, I have the same exactly sound from this video (from another person):

I love this car, is amazing... but this specific sound is driving me crazy. I took it to the dealer 2 times and they basically told me to wait for it to become more noisy and constant because it is impossible to track it. Both of the times when I was in a test-drive with the mechanic, there was no sound at all... so I understand that it is almost impossible to track it because there is not a pattern on it to replicate the sound. Is not a constant sound, it appears on bumps or not smooth roads.

Has anyone found on a similar situation like me and found a solution? All the threads I have look around are related to old models from 2012-2015 but I don't find anything more updated.

Hi, did you work this one out? I have same issue on a 2021 CX-5. Thanks.

@meisterbrak @PaulP I just saw this thread for the first time, but I’m pretty sure I posted (on “What have you done to your Cx-5 Today?) about getting the same rattle fixed - Well at least it sounds the same. It ended up being some tube or wire behind the dash, down by the drivers footwell area, and the tube or whatever was hitting against the steering column on bumps - they put styrofoam around it to stop the noise cause they said it’s routed correctly. That worked for two days, then I went back and they put more styrofoam and so far I haven’t heard it anymore. I don’t have a HUD display, so if that’s your rattles source then disregard, but my rattle did the same noise and only on bumpy roads. Next time see if it sounds like it’s by your feet, not up top. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Dear all,

Hey there - did you manage to fix this? I have a brand new CX-5 that is making exactly the same clicking noise. Thanks!

This thread might help. Worked for me.
Hi, I've got the exact same issue and I've narrowed it down to above the A Pillar (around number 3 in the link). Did you remove the headlining to get to it? Thanks

I've had the exact same issue for the last 6 month since buying. I had tried everything, took the dash out, taped up every possible cable etc. Watched multiple YouTube videos and tried everything out there to make the dash clicking noise disappear.

I finally managed to work out what it was with my local garage. It's the windscreen on the car. Apparently multiple Mazda's from 2018 to present have this clicking noise because the windscreen was installed incorrectly during the cars manufacture. Not enough bonding was used, so when the temperature increases and the mastic / bond expands, the glass can tap against the frame of the car.

Cost to fix is £180 to have the screen removed and rebonded correctly.

I hope this helps someone out there, as the clicking / creaking noise was driving me crazy

Mine was the subframe on my CX9

Most noticeable at end of the video

Back