Mazdas247 Update: We’re 20! 🥳

Antoine

Administrator
Just wanted to mention that Mazdas247 has now been existence for twenty years! While much has changed in that time, one thing hasn’t and that’s our commitment to being Fun, Friendly and Informative.

Thank you all so much for spending your time with us and for your support! :giggle:

Hard to believe its been that long already! I remember when it was THE parking lot for all the new Proteges and Protege5s

Here's my flashback:
2002, right after joining the forum -
2489894956_0a25318594_o.jpg

2008, after a couple of modifications -
2395576195_20726f3b21_o.jpg

2010, one of the last pictures I have -
IMG00007-20100404-1719.jpg

Thanks @sm1ke!

@njaremka Great pics, thanks for sharing those and awesome to see you've been active here since 2001!
I still have a special place in my heart for those 3rd generation Protege's! If they weren't all rust buckets now, and still had aftermarket support, I might be tempted to pick one up as a project or to keep around for the son's first car. The wife is on her 3rd Mazda, and prefers to drive a Mazda because of that car.

I still have a special place in my heart for those 3rd generation Protege's! If they weren't all rust buckets now, and still had aftermarket support, I might be tempted to pick one up as a project or to keep around for the son's first car. The wife is on her 3rd Mazda, and prefers to drive a Mazda because of that car.
Same here...A fantastic platform that also spawned the MP3, P5 and MSP. Any sort of Protege is unfortunately a rare sight these days but when I do see one, it always puts a smile on my face. 😁

Awesome, I've been on here since 05 or 06 ish.
Awesome indeed, yup since 2006! (y)

Same here...A fantastic platform that also spawned the MP3, P5 and MSP. Any sort of Protege is unfortunately a rare sight these days but when I do see one, it always puts a smile on my face. 😁
I always regretted not driving a Protege before buying our 99 Civic LX. When I had the need for a new car, I immediately took the ride to the nearest Mazda dealer for a test drive. Drove a Protege5, and was hooked. I was hoping to swing for the MP3 in Laser Blue, but the price was just a tad much for my budget at the time. I had access to S-Plan pricing, but the MP3 wasn't available on that plan. The ES ended up being just under $15k out the door back in 2001, which was a deal that couldn't be beat. The MP3 would have been $18.5k plus tax and title.

I always regretted not driving a Protege before buying our 99 Civic LX. When I had the need for a new car, I immediately took the ride to the nearest Mazda dealer for a test drive. Drove a Protege5, and was hooked. I was hoping to swing for the MP3 in Laser Blue, but the price was just a tad much for my budget at the time. I had access to S-Plan pricing, but the MP3 wasn't available on that plan. The ES ended up being just under $15k out the door back in 2001, which was a deal that couldn't be beat. The MP3 would have been $18.5k plus tax and title.
Yeah, I really wanted an MP3 when it came out but being a uni student at the time, I couldn't afford it...That said it didn't stop me from registering MazdaMP3.com which became Mazda Forums which became Mazdas247. 😁

I wanted to make sure I posted this. I was rummaging around in my closet last weekend and found an old magazine. That magazine is probably responsible for me ending up here on this site a little over 20 years ago. During that time, I was heavily into learning Linux, and everything about it. I ran across a magazine called, "Maximum Linux", in which this particular issue went over how to build your own MP3 player for your car, using the Linux operating system, and some hackery. I was about to undertake this project. I had geard up for it. And then I ended up wrecking my then car, and ended up having to go look for a new one. I ended up finding out about the Mazda MP3 through research, and found out that it was the first production car that had an MP3 player stock! I searched all over the DFW metroplex for one, but alas, none to be found. The closest one I could find was in Austin, TX. That year a lot happend. I was 21, had become a father, 9/11 happened the day after my 22nd birthday. This car was the start of many adventures to come. I blew my first engine with nitrous. I replaced that motor with a FS-ZE motor (but neglected to get proper engine tuning). I set my sights on boosting it in early 2002. Before I boosted it, I had the engine checked out. I had issues, due to the higher compression, and advanced timing of the stock MP3 ECU. I ended up replacing that motor, and boosting with a prototype B.E.G.I. (Bell Engineering Group INC) turbo kit. I rocked that turbo until about March of 2003, whereby I blew a rod, as the stock rods are weak. I then built the motor with one of the first sets of JE pistons (so new, there were no clearances for the oil squirters, which would come in to play soon), Pauter rods, .20 overbored, and a o-ringed block. I rocked this engine, through several turbo kits for the next 10 years, driving all over the U.S. I prototyped the use of the J&S Knock Safegaurd, and tested many enhancements over the years. In 2013, I noticed a clattering sound coming from the block. Later on I would find out, when disassymbling the block, that part of the piston skirt had broken off, and the piston pin was holding the piston to the rod barely. During the first few days of that old moter, the oil squirters had been sheered off. This was one of the reasons the JE pistons were redone for our cars. I started a new build. The new build was working well, until I broke 3rd gear. I purchased MFactor gears for 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, and purchased the transaxle case brace. I had a local, well-known Mazdaspeed tuner install them for me, and I never installed it in the car. I haven't driven that car since 2013/2014. I'm seriously thinking about getting it up and running again, since money is no longer a problem these days. This forum is responsible for being the catalyst to a lot of adventures, and a lot of the learning I experienced over the years. I've also met some life-long friends along the way. Thank you, and Happy 20th!!

Attachments

• MaximumLinuxMP3.jpeg
    MaximumLinuxMP3.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I wanted to make sure I posted this. I was rummaging around in my closet last weekend and found an old magazine. That magazine is probably responsible for me ending up here on this site a little over 20 years ago. During that time, I was heavily into learning Linux, and everything about it. I ran across a magazine called, "Maximum Linux", in which this particular issue went over how to build your own MP3 player for your car, using the Linux operating system, and some hackery. I was about to undertake this project. I had geard up for it. And then I ended up wrecking my then car, and ended up having to go look for a new one. I ended up finding out about the Mazda MP3 through research, and found out that it was the first production car that had an MP3 player stock! I searched all over the DFW metroplex for one, but alas, none to be found. The closest one I could find was in Austin, TX. That year a lot happend. I was 21, had become a father, 9/11 happened the day after my 22nd birthday. This car was the start of many adventures to come. I blew my first engine with nitrous. I replaced that motor with a FS-ZE motor (but neglected to get proper engine tuning). I set my sights on boosting it in early 2002. Before I boosted it, I had the engine checked out. I had issues, due to the higher compression, and advanced timing of the stock MP3 ECU. I ended up replacing that motor, and boosting with a prototype B.E.G.I. (Bell Engineering Group INC) turbo kit. I rocked that turbo until about March of 2003, whereby I blew a rod, as the stock rods are weak. I then built the motor with one of the first sets of JE pistons (so new, there were no clearances for the oil squirters, which would come in to play soon), Pauter rods, .20 overboar, and a o-ringed block. I rocked this engine, through several turbo kits for the next 10 years, driving all over the U.S. I prototype the use of the J&S Knock Safegaurd, and tested many enhancements over the years. In 2013, I noticed a clattering sound coming from the block. Later on I would find out, when disassymbling the block, that part of the piston skirt had broken off, and the piston pin was holding the piston to the rod barely. During the first few days of that old moter, the oil squirters had been sheered off. This was one of the reason the JE pistons were redone for our cars. I started a new build. The new build was working well, until I broke 3rd gear. I purchased MFactor gears for 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, and purchased the transaxle case brace. I had a local, well-known Mazdaspeed tuner install them for me, and I never installed it in the car. I haven't driven that car since 2013/2014. I'm seriously thinking about getting it up and running again, since money is no longer a problem these days. This forum is responsible for being the catalyst to a lot of adventures, and a lot of the learning I experienced over the year. I've also met some life-long friends along the way. Thank you, and Happy 20th!!
Awesome share…Thank you for posting that and for being a part of the Community here all these years, I remember those early days…We were all quite a bit younger too haha…

Congrats Antoine
Thanks @Reitrof!

Congrats! Wow, twenty years! I joined right after I picked up my 2002 protege 5. A tribute and cx5 have also joined the stable!

Attachments

• BFE2164D-49D7-4612-82AC-2F5309E9B673.jpeg
    BFE2164D-49D7-4612-82AC-2F5309E9B673.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 836A223F-CD05-454A-BB94-E7BDF5FE719B.jpeg
    836A223F-CD05-454A-BB94-E7BDF5FE719B.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 1CE1F6BA-A63E-438A-BD81-7F4E4C85731E.jpeg
    1CE1F6BA-A63E-438A-BD81-7F4E4C85731E.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 58
It's nice to have this forum around. Helps me figure out issues and is a great community of Mazda fans. Keep up the good work!

Woot! I've only had my CX-9 a few years but forums like this are pretty essential without being at the mercy of the googled internet. Thanks for keeping this going!

Congrats! Wow, twenty years! I joined right after I picked up my 2002 protege 5. A tribute and cx5 have also joined the stable!
Thanks! You've also been a Member for 20 years, that's awesome..(y)

It's nice to have this forum around. Helps me figure out issues and is a great community of Mazda fans. Keep up the good work!
Great to know we've helped you out and that you're enjoying the community here...Thanks for the kind words!

Woot! I've only had my CX-9 a few years but forums like this are pretty essential without being at the mercy of the googled internet. Thanks for keeping this going!
I hear ya, thanks for joining up and the feedback, much appreciated!

Way to go Antoine. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Been here since my 2002 P5. Since then a 2008 Miata, 2018 M3, 2021 M3 and latest is a 2011 M2.

Except for the P5, I still have the other 4.

Back