Black Mazda Ebay rear emblems?

View attachment 312882View attachment 312883View attachment 312884View attachment 312885

I had the local body shop do mine. They just ordered a new set, painted and installed. I've done that on my last 3 CX-5s. I tried the 'plasti-dip' and I was not happy with the result.

I hate chrome.

I am considering having the inside text painted white.

Car needs a wash apparently. ;)
Looks great!

How much did you pay?

I wish I had just paid to have for the side rails professionally done instead of DIY

This is what i'm waiting on now. I ordered the emblems myself. When they come in I'll paint them myself and then ask a body shop to just put them on for me. Curious but I was gonna use plastidip anyway. Figured it would be a better job with the badges removed but what paint did you use to do them? Or did the body shop paint them as well?

I tried the hyper dip first. I did all the emblems and the hockey sticks on the side. They came out fine. It would take some serious rubbing to get them to peel so no worries on washing and running a chamois over them. The only thing I didn't like was the flat back color they were.

Then I decided to purchase a new set of badges, and door trim (the bent trim part comes as an assembly with the window) and painted them all with SEM Trim Black, prep and satin clear coat. SEM is a deep, rich black that looks far better to me. I put several coats of paint and clear on each part. The paint levels out beautifully as it dries. I suck at painting anything and these came out really nice. I even did it outside when it was like 55 degrees and with a breeze too.

I used dental floss and a hair dryer to warm the area and pop off all the badges. The AWD badge has no pins and is the easiest to remove. I chose not to reinstall the AWD for a cleaner look.

Personally if I had a white car I'd paint the badges white. I think black calls too much attention to them. That's just me.

I think I posted pictures in someone's thread about this. I know that I detailed all the pins on the badges. I personally wouldn't muck with peeling off old adhesive on the original badges and trying to get it look right. That stuff can get stringy and messy real quick. Some adhesives may also damage the paint/clear.

Last edited:
wd40 removes all the glue/adhesive. it goes like butter :)
thats how I removed the leftover ahdesive/tape from my badges and the leftovers from the car.
And yea the awd and turbo badges have only adhesive tape.

Looks great!

How much did you pay?

I wish I had just paid to have for the side rails professionally done instead of DIY
Sadly I do not recall what I paid, but it was not much (I think less then $250). I joked with them that they are basically just doing this to be nice. No way they made a profit. It did include the cost of new emblems. For me, free time is something have little of so having them do it was worth it to me to just to save the time. ;)

I'm sure this would be fun to do yourself if you are into that.

Personally if I had a white car I'd paint the badges white. I think black calls too much attention to them. That's just me.
All white would be cool, but then I would need to paint any other chrome and or black to match factory pearl white and also buy white wheels. I have black Konig wheels so I decided to do a black and white motif.

Maybe the next car I will try monochrome white ;)

Just wanted to report that the pins are in fact just guides and doing it this way was way easier then spraying them on the car. Yes it was more expensive but the benefit is if at some point I do need to touch up an edge, there already is a base coat of black. The CX-5 logo is the only one you need to be careful as far as making sure they are straight. Otherwise, easy peasy.

fullsizeoutput_bab.jpeg

Back