2022 Mazda CX5 Battery Drain

My brand new Carbon Edition, with only 150 miles and 4 days out of the dealership, experienced some sort of malfunction. After driving earlier in the day my CX5 would not start after several attempts. I then noticed the parking brake light flashing (I had not activated it). After a few minutes I was able to deactivate the parking brake but the engine still would not start. Sensors for the rear seat belts began to flash and a beeping sound began from the rear. I called the dealer who attempted to help me start the car by placing the key fob on the engine start button, but to know avail. After about 2.5 hours all power to the car shut down. AAA arrived and was able to jump start the car. The AAA tech performed a battery check and told me that the battery had bad cells. I drove home and the next day was able to start the car and drive it to the dealership. After several days, the dealer states that the battery is good and they could not find anything wrong. They were able to start the car each day and felt that I probably left something on to drain the battery - although the radio and lights were off when I went to the car.

A check of My Mazda app showed that I had received several messages approximately 45 minutes before I attempted to start the car - "Dynamic Stability Control malfunction", "Parking Brake Malfunction", Anti-Lock Brake malfunction", etc. Is this a common occurrence, to receive system malfunction errors, when the battery is weak or failing? Has anyone else had issues with battery draining or electrical problems? What could've caused a brand new battery to drain so quickly?

Probably left the battery on and drained it. If that is the case you can ignore all those warning messages. If the battery is out of spec a certain amount it causes a domino affect on those systems.

My carbon edition had a recall done for battery drain attached to the telematics. I can try to provide the details later. It was done over the air via sw update.

The documentation indicates only 21 models but I wonder if it also rolled into 22

Attachments

• 0721BD73-F3DA-42AA-9E05-DDC9E23218AC.jpeg
    0721BD73-F3DA-42AA-9E05-DDC9E23218AC.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 772
The documentation indicates only 21 models but I wonder if it also rolled into 22
Thanks for this. I hope I can pass it on to the dealership when it gets taken in. Our 2021 Carbon Edition's battery died about 5 months in. They said it was the rear lift gate sensor and they replaced the battery. Now, 7 months after that new battery, it's completely drained again.

I have a 2022 with a similar problem. Twice now the battery has drained when the car is off. After driving to work on both occasions started to receive notifications of system failures to the phone app/email.
Of course the dealership states that something was left on.
This is 2022. Nothing stays on in modern cars. Even if you leave the door open with the ignition in the on position, the car systems will time out and shut them down in minutes. You cannot leave anything stock on. Period.
All of the accessory sockets are keyed to ACC or Run. And again if you leave the ignition in either mode it will shut off automatically within minutes.
Don't believe me, try to listen to tunes with out the engine on. Lights and radio will shut off after the time out.
So - Why is a new car with a new battery draining?
Is this the TCU issue still not fixed?

All of the accessory sockets are keyed to ACC or Run. And again if you leave the ignition in either mode it will shut off automatically within minutes.
In the 2022 (don't know about other years), only the dash 12v receptacle is switched with the ignition. The one in the console and the one in the cargo area are hard-wired to the battery.
I was worried about draining the batter with a wireless charger I have in the console.. I ended up getting a plug-in adapter with a tiny swtich so I could manuall turn it off when not in use.

@Toad Maybe there are different trims with different setups.
The current Mazda.com manual states that all three are keyed. Maybe the manual is also rong. ;)
In my domestic truck they still use the key or battery icon on the flap to alert you. These have neither on them. I will test mine again. What actually comes from the factory is not always exactly what they say it is.

But for this battery issue - i should add that I have never used them or even opened the caps.
Ha maybe that's the issue, some conductive material jammed in one them...
No luck, all empty.

@Toad Maybe there are different trims with different setups.
The current Mazda.com manual states that all three are keyed. Maybe the manual is also rong. ;)
In my domestic truck they still use the key or battery icon on the flap to alert you. These have neither on them. I will test mine again. What actually comes from the factory is not always exactly what they say it is.

But for this battery issue - i should add that I have never used them or even opened the caps.
Ha maybe that's the issue, some conductive material jammed in one them...
No luck, all empty.
I think the manual has "The ignition must be switched to ACC or ON." over the diagram for the dash receptacle, but Mazda doesn't realize it appears to apply to all 3. I can absolutely confirm the 12v receptacles in the console and cargo area are full-time on. (I havent used the one in the dash).

It doesn't help with your battery problem. Come to think of it, I had a similar problem with my 2014 CX. My neighbor is a mechanic and brought over his diagnostic tools. In my case.. a mouse had chewed up some harness wires and was causing various failures and killing my battery.

I would still suspect AAA was right and the battery is defective. You could have a bad module somewhere too though which isn't shutting down as it should. My nephews wife called me on Monday as the 2020 Odyssey Elite they drive was dead in the garage. They let their kids play in the van and one of the doors was inadvertently left ajar. One would think in todays cars if this happens the car would realize it and shut down before the battery dies, but it did not in this case. A simple jump had the car back to normal. As there are now two people in this thread with the same issue it makes me think there is still a problem with modules in some cars. Our '21 has not had an issue so far in the 10k miles we have driven.

@Toad Chewed wires is possible. An intermittent short could produce this same issue with rapid discharge. There are squirrels and other rodents that live outside with the care. Will look for that as well. I also believe you are correct about the two other outlets. Assuming the 2018 and up are still close the attached wiring diagram would indicate there is no switching between that battery and the outlet.
I have not tested this yet.
**Interesting, it also looks like the USB outlet is directly wired to the battery. Not sure if that is the front outlet or if other models have one in the back too? A long camping weekend did not give me the same results.

@chickdr I agree one of the three, module load, battery issue, or chewed wires. On the CX-5 if a door ajar did do it and the car did not shut that down, it may indicate an issue with that control system.
Will get some better testing and report back if I or the dealer finds anything.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Still like the CX-5... when it starts.

Attachments

• Accessory Socket.pdf
    380.2 KB · Views: 130
**Interesting, it also looks like the USB outlet is directly wired to the battery. Not sure if that is the front outlet or if other models have one in the back too? A long camping weekend did not give me the same results.

The USB's in the console definitely stay powered on as well.. I have my wireless Android Auto adapter plugged in there, and the power light on it stays on.

thats intetesting. If I recall from retrofittin the usb hub, the usb ports in the console get power from the infotainment system which should shut off after a while.

thats intetesting. If I recall from retrofittin the usb hub, the usb ports in the console get power from the infotainment system which should shut off after a while.
It certainly should. Even in my ancient D40 2020 Nissan Frontiers system, if I turn on the accessory switch and sit there with the radio on for a bit, I will get a series of beeps and the truck shuts down.

Leave the ignition in ACC and the infotainment will shut in a while. Shut the car and all lights will turn off in a bit. BUT there are 2 12V sockets that are ALWAYS on, and I know that at least the one in the trunk is on 24/7. I have a dashcam that is connected to the same fuse as the trunk 12V socket, and I can confirm that the dashcam is always active and will start recording if it detects movement. (the hardwire kit has a low-voltage protection, but still)
I don't know if the car will shut those down too when the battery is too weak, but I doubt it will.

Leave the ignition in ACC and the infotainment will shut in a while. Shut the car and all lights will turn off in a bit.
I don't know about the ACC mode, but when my car is completely off.. the USB ports (at least the ones in the console) remain powered up 24/7.

I don't know about the ACC mode, but when my car is completely off.. the USB ports (at least the ones in the console) remain powered up 24/7.
I thought the car cuts the power to the USB ports a while after you shut it off.

Does anyone have access to the the wiring diagrams for the 2022+ model. The 2018 file above may not precisely represent what is rolling off the assembly lines now.

I thought the car cuts the power to the USB ports a while after you shut it off.
Nah I just went to my car that has been sitting overnight.. When I open the console, I can see the glowing led on the wireless Android Auto adapter inside. I haven't tested the ones in the back seat..

I guess the USB ports could power up when the doors are opened and the overhead lights come on.. I doubt this to be true.. but I should be able to test that too.

My experience with the various cars we have that are 2021+, they all come alive as soon as you put your hand in the door handle and have the key on you. Even if you don't pull it.
The new Cherokee detects the key when i come within 10-15 feet of it and fires up the lights, dash, radio, and many of the USB accessory outlets.
My assumption was that ALL ports, including the ones marked with a battery were switched. Not by the key in ACC or RUN, but by a controller that had predefined operation intervals and timeouts.
As the wiring diagram shows that may not be the case. Well it was not in 2018.
When I turn off all my 2021+ domestic (STELLANTIS) cars and sit in it for a length of time 30+ minutes all of the USB ports front, middle and back rows turn off eventually. Some of them will turn back on if you pull the USB and reinsert it while still sitting in the car. I don't drive the CX-5 as much but I felt it acted the same.
@Toad your test would a be good way to determine that. I have a cigarette light type USB adapter with an LED when there is power.
I will put it the rear socket, lock the car and monitor it from the outside with out the key anywhere near the car. If the light stays on for several hours/overnight I would conclude there is nothing between it and the battery.
I may have a USB device that also has an LED on it that could confirm what you see happening.

Back