2022 Mazda CX5 Battery Drain

I guess the USB ports could power up when the doors are opened and the overhead lights come on.. I doubt this to be true.. but I should be able to test that too.
AH I have confirmation of this. I pulled the AA adapter out of the console so you could see it through the windows. After a while, the USB ports DO POWER OFF. Once I open the door, (no FOB or key present) the USB ports power back up. Saweeeet.

Nah I just went to my car that has been sitting overnight.. When I open the console, I can see the glowing led on the wireless Android Auto adapter inside. I haven't tested the ones in the back seat..

I guess the USB ports could power up when the doors are opened and the overhead lights come on.. I doubt this to be true.. but I should be able to test that too.
I experience this too, but I thought it powers them on when you unlock the car or something. I've seen a lot of people say that the USB ports shut off 15-20 mins after you shut the car. What's the point of not shutting the USB ports?
PS: I wrote this before realizing there is a second page to this topic. Sorry!

I experience this too, but I thought it powers them on when you unlock the car or something. I've seen a lot of people say that the USB ports shut off 15-20 mins after you shut the car. What's the point of not shutting the USB ports?
PS: I wrote this before realizing there is a second page to this topic. Sorry!
I am pretty relieved. I didn't like the notion that something plugged into the usb ports could continue to use power..

This whole thread has me freaking out lol. I have one thing plugged in, a USB adapter in the 12v under the climate controls with a little light on it. When the car is off the light goes off so I assume its off and not draining the battery. My OCD might have to unplug it completely and stow it when i'm not using it lol.

No need to freak out LOL. Worst thing that happens is you need a jump. You could carry a portable lithium jump starter if you want a backup.

This whole thread has me freaking out lol. I have one thing plugged in, a USB adapter in the 12v under the climate controls with a little light on it. When the car is off the light goes off so I assume its off and not draining the battery. My OCD might have to unplug it completely and stow it when i'm not using it lol.

Hahaa. Yeah with different behaviors in different locations. It can be confusing.

Here is what I have confirmed with my own testing: (2022 CX-5)

Dash 12v - switched with ignition
Center console 12v - always on
Cargo 12v - always on

Center console USB - switched - activated when opening door
Back Seat USB - always on

Back Seat USB - always on
I really don’t understand Mazda sometimes. I’ve never used the rear USB ports but it seems like the perfect spot where someone will plug something in and then forget about it. Why would it be always on?

My 2021 had a recall notice that was vague but something about the battery. I figured I'll have it done on the next oil change which wasn't for another 5 or 6 months. Never had an issue until low and behold the day before taking it to the dealer for the oil change and recall the battery was dead. Insane timing. I would expect whatever the ECU update was to fix the issue in the 2021 would have already been applied in a 2022 but if you bought an early release (towards the beginning of the year) 2022, maybe not? My own opinion is that many of the ideas suggested here are far fetched. The car is so sophisticated with it's electronics, such a higher percentage of issues these days boil down to software bugs (or firmware if you want to call it).

You very well may have an ECU software issue that Mazda has yet to fully diagnose and issue a recall for. The car is of course never completely "off" hence remote start and notifications, etc. It always has a cell connection and is monitoring things with the car. The ECU software can go haywire and drain the battery.

The original battery on my Signature lasted two years to the day and 27.000 kilometers. What's more it left me stranded on a dirt road a long way from paved and a nice hike to get to cel phone reception. While my insurence covered towing the tow truck came from a long way off and took four hours to get to me. Yes I checked carefully and nothing had been left on that could produce a drain. The thing is there is no winter here. Lowest temperature I start the car at is 60 degrees F and mostly country driving. The dealership said well maybe a little early but not really all that uncommon. Huh? In any case I went out and bought one of those car starting batteries and keep it in the trunk. I don't intend to go through that again. They replaced the original with a Willard so we'll see how that hold up.

Back