Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Damn, we're good. ;)

I mean, at this point if I were in his shoes, I'd buy a 2070 and sell the 2060 on eBay. The 2070 is a VERY capable video card and with the buy - sell it wouldn't even cost much. Plays Apex and everything else very well. Good for AT LEAST 2 more years. I upgraded from the 2070 to a 3070 Ti... and barely noticed.
I play a LOT of Apex. Tell him to add me and let me know his name. I'll let you know if he's any good. Bwahahaha
ChainedAlice is my name, mayhem is my game.
Here's the thing about being a streamer and RGB... no one ever sees your rig! Seriously. I love pretty lights as much as the next guy but no one ever followed someone on Twitch... because his rig lights up.

LMAO, yeah you are!

I am not mentioning no such thing to him as this might make his head explode. haha I will let him know your name.

Very true about the RGB but he sees it and he likes the aesthetic. Who am I to rain on his parade about lights, I mean it is already bad enough that I won't buy him the new rig. ;)

Thanks for the replies and the information. He is streaming on Twitch using OBS and does play Apex. haha Not sure what resolution he is using and where the frames are dropping. He paid for his current rig and will pay for his next one too. Mom and dad are not footing the bill. I do my part by paying my ISP each month. ;)

Since I last posted he has changed his mind about the case to the Corsair 4000D AirPro back to the NZXT H7 and now back to the NZXT H5. He also changed his mind about the CPU to the Intel I9 12900K and then said he may use the AMD Ryzen9 5950X. For these two reasons alone, his mother and I have both told him to take a step back and wait. At this point, I believe he just wants a new rig and trying to justify it for both himself and us but he is so undecided that it would be dumb for him to do so. He would no sooner build the new one and then say that he should have used this component or that one and have buyers remorse. Yes, Trident RAM is what he told me and yes one reason was for the RGB. I do have to admit it looked very nice compared to others. Oh, he also changed his fan selection. Nothing major but going from full RGB fans to fans with only an RGB ring. I told him it looked cleaner.

@ColoradoDriver Enjoy that new C1!
I have Trident RAM (specifically it is G.Skill Trident Z Neo), but mine ended up being a bad kit for Ryzen. I may dump it to try to get some Samsung B-die. Mine ended up being Hynix DJR/CJR so timings are not great and doesn't OC well. So just because it is Trident doesn't make it good RAM. Sounds like he just wanted RGB. I actually turned my RGB all off lol.

Yeah, very wise choice to just advise waiting.

Damn, we're good.

I mean, at this point if I were in his shoes, I'd buy a 2070 and sell the 2060 on eBay. The 2070 is a VERY capable video card and with the buy - sell it wouldn't even cost much. Plays Apex and everything else very well. Good for AT LEAST 2 more years. I upgraded from the 2070 to a 3070 Ti... and barely noticed.
I play a LOT of Apex. Tell him to add me and let me know his name. I'll let you know if he's any good. Bwahahaha
ChainedAlice is my name, mayhem is my game.
Here's the thing about being a streamer and RGB... no one ever sees your rig! Seriously. I love pretty lights as much as the next guy but no one ever followed someone on Twitch... because his rig lights up.

If I may be so bold as to disagree, I wouldn't buy a 2070, it was an overpriced card when it launched that Nvidia had the balls to chip down a tier (106 chip instead of 104, if you don't know what that means, it means it used a 60-class card chip instead of a cut down 80-class card chip like 70-class cards usually did). If you do stay 20-series a 2070 Super would be better as it was properly a 70-class chip as a cut down 2080 basically.

But still, that's not a worthwhile upgrade if you already have a 2060 in my opinion. Better to get a 3070/3070 Ti and sell the 2060 in my opinion.

Last edited:
On another note, I ordered a 48" LG C1 on sale to be my new monitor.
This caught my attention...Please let us know if possible what it's like using a 48" LG C1 as a monitor (pics would be great as well)! Would this be mainly for gaming (does it offer a high refresh rate?) or productivity or both..? Clearly it would excel for media consumption but I wonder how it fares for productivity / multi-window use...Wouldn't you need to sit back a bit..? :)

As someone intimately familiar with LG TV's, yes, the C1 has a 120HZ refresh rate and can be unquestionably used for gaming. Still wouldn't mind seeing some pics there, C-D. ;)

This caught my attention...Please let us know if possible what it's like using a 48" LG C1 as a monitor (pics would be great as well)! Would this be mainly for gaming (does it offer a high refresh rate?) or productivity or both..? Clearly it would excel for media consumption but I wonder how it fares for productivity / multi-window use...Wouldn't you need to sit back a bit..? :)

As someone intimately familiar with LG TV's, yes, the C1 has a 120HZ refresh rate and can be unquestionably used for gaming. Still wouldn't mind seeing some pics there, C-D. ;)
Don't have it yet. Has quite a wide range of delivery days. Might get it this week, but more likely towards end of next week. But rest assured I will take some pics when it is all setup!

Its main advantage as a display is being OLED instead of traditional LCD. It supports HDMI 2.1, so you can get 4k 120Hz. And as a OLED, looks better than many 1ms response time LCD panels (TN, IPS, VA, etc.). It is great for gaming. OLED also means you don't have backlights like in LCD so blacks are black because it is literally just a pixel that is off, colors looks great, etc.

I do have some reservations. Risk of OLED burn-in, etc., but honestly unless you really abuse it, I think it should be fine. I also wonder if the 48" will be too big, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, gentlemen...Sounds very appealing...4K, quick response time, OLED, no backlighting, great color and 120Hz! :love: That said, would there be an issue if you read a lot of text often (like when visiting Mazdas247 for example)...How would the C1 handle websites and text? Would brightness be too much for productivity?

On a related note, is there a Japanese model that is equivalent to the C1 that could be used for the same purpose?

Also, it would be cool to have a remote control style toggle/mouse type device to use as a mouse but from a distance when using something like the C1 as a display...Does such a thing exist? 😁

Sounds like your first OLED CD? Yea man, my buddy told me "O man its SO BLACK"... he never mentioned the colors. THE COLORS MAN! WOW! Makes a big difference. We watched the Johnny Depp Alice in Wonderland Movie. The first one. I think there's 2. Really opened my eyes about how color can be used in a movie. Whole new appreciation for Tim Burton.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen...Sounds very appealing...4K, quick response time, OLED, no backlighting, great color and 120Hz! :love: That said, would there be an issue if you read a lot of text often (like when visiting Mazdas247 for example)...How would the C1 handle websites and text? Would brightness be too much for productivity?

On a related note, is there a Japanese model that is equivalent to the C1 that could be used for the same purpose?

Also, it would be cool to have a remote control style toggle/mouse type device to use as a mouse but from a distance when using something like the C1 as a display...Does such a thing exist? 😁
I heard that there is an auto dimming function that many complain about when say having a word doc open or reading a website page. I'll have to figure that out when I get it.

So been very interesting coming from an older Intel system and onto a current Ryzen one. Overclocking is definitely way different. I'd say it was way simpler on the Intel. Unsure if modern Intel is still like overclocking in the past or more like Ryzen, but will give you a little idea of what it looked like.

On my old 4790k, I could get an all-core overclock stable at 4.6GHz with voltage bumped up to 1.35v. Could have probably got it stable at 4.7GHz all core at 1.4v, but not a voltage I would want to run full time. All to say it was pretty simple. Bump up the clock multiplier and bump voltage if needed. Test. Pretty simple. My single core performance overclocked on my 4790k was actually matching Zen 2 in some benchmarks. Running stock, definitely not.

Move to Zen 3 and what I am finding is that just setting a static all core boost is actually horrible, and overclocking looks more like undervolting per core, tweaking power and temp limits, adjusting boost offsets, etc. Good ways to tune for max single core or all core boosting. This is through Precision Boost Overdrive and Curve Optimizer.

Anyway, been fun seeing what I could get my R23 multi-core score up to. Single core was able to boost up to 5.125GHz stable on strongest cores. Going to see if I can get more. As for multi-core, been interesting as curve optimizer played a bigger roll in getting more cores to sustain higher clocks vs straight up max overclocks to single cores at a time.

Been documenting that here: SirBeregondEHW @ HWBOT

Went from ~21k multi-core with stock settings, to about 22k with PBO enabled but on auto settings, to 23k with manually tuning of PBO limits and Curve Optimizer on a per core basis.

Last edited:
Been doing some more benchmarking tonight for a competition.

Grabbed a quick shot while running 3DMark.

20220818_194252.jpg

Thanks! Learning how to tune my DDR4. Figured out my Hynix kit isn't doing much OC and not handling tightening timings well.

At least for benchmarking, put in an order for a cheap Samsung b-die 16GB kit. Its 3600 at 14-14-14-34 vs my current Hynix kit which is 3600 at 16-19-19-39, so should have some room to work with and able to push some more voltage with the b-die. $89+tax felt like a good deal. I have 32GB now, so will just be strictly for benching.

Soooo, this arrived Monday. Our son has still been talking about building a new rig and texted me when he found it on sale. He asked me to order with my card and then he will repay me. It may be overkill but my-oh-my!
20220912_185031.jpg

Soooo, this arrived Monday. Our son has still been talking about building a new rig and texted me when he found it on sale. He asked me to order with my card and then he will repay me. It may be overkill but my-oh-my!View attachment 313001
May I ask what you ended up getting it for? I know cards have been dropping in price but hadn't been keeping up.

Well look at it this way. Bought top of the line, so now you can say no when he wants top of the line again in a year. ;)

May I ask what you ended up getting it for? I know cards have been dropping in price but hadn't been keeping up.

Well look at it this way. Bought top of the line, so now you can say no when he wants top of the line again in a year. ;)
Sure, $1099.99 with free shipping so $1165.99 after PA sales tax. I didn't think that was bad at all.

His money, so all I can do is advise. Have to say that I am rather proud though. Earlier he texted me asking my thoughts on returning it. Went on to say that he saw the sales price and got very excited and wasn't thinking of the rest of the build to accommodate this GPU as he has been building around a 3070Ti. Once he sat down and started to build around it, he realized it was going to be way to much money for all of the other components. So, I just dropped it off with UPS for the return and pick up an Nvidia 3070Ti Founders Edition from Best Buy next week which was $599.

Last edited:
I've been building computers since the first Pentium chips were introduced in the early '90's. I was going to build a new i9 machine with a 2080 Super a couple years ago and started pricing things. The processor and video card were going for around $1,500 combined. After adding the motherboard, case, HD, PSU and RAM, I was just under $2,500. I decided to look into prebuilt computers, just for comparison. I found a Lenovo Legion with a liquid cooled i9, 2080 Super 2TB HD (1TB SS and 1TB spinner) with 32GB RAM for $1,450. Needless to say, it was a no brainer to just fork over the cash and buy the prebuilt.

While I did miss the hours of building and configuring my new system, I did not miss spending the extra $1k on it. I figured worst case, I buy a different MB and case and just swap in the parts if I had an issue with the generic build. After almost 3 years, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I haven't been looking at prices much lately. Has the gap between building and buying prebuilt narrowed since the pandemic and chip shortage issues? Or, are some people just totally against buying a prebuilt?

@Sig cx-5 I haven't priced prebuilt lately so can't talk about pricing. However back in 2014 when I built him his first rig, I was looking at prebuilt machines. I was told they could be a good value but they could not be upgraded by the end user? I didn't bother researching more into it as I thought it would be a cool experience to build one. Sadly, I built it and never really kept up with how much the tech changed until recently.

Back