2017~2024 Major Oil Leak after Dealer replaced Valve Cover…Help and/or Follow Along

Sealant in areas shown here?

1.jpg

I would really like to see if you can twist a 2.0 or 2.5 Skyactiv engine valve cover seal and try to install it. ;)
And considering the type of valve covers and engine 20 years ago you may not have the experience yet giving advice on the MAZDA Skyactiv engine?
Agreed. My experience was a long time ago.
Point made. Anything could have gone wrong with the install and my experience with the skyactiv is limited.
Honestly DIY often will do things differently when it concerns their own cars.
I will admit that a majority of DIY will take extra care and cautions "most of the times" that is not practical to do in most shops. In this case I am confident that it was a simple oversight that may not have been caught even with a visual and short road test from my understanding reading the first post and looking at the pictures.

Give the dealership at least a chance to correct the problem and maybe an explanation.
Agree that should give them a chance to rectify the situation but disagree that they didn't have time to check their work... They could have had the car idling while they worked on other vehicles. Maybe if they had done that the leak would have showed up. My experience with dealerships is in line with most of corporate America... they don't take responsibility for their mistakes... They'll maybe make sure it is fixed this time but they will never admit if it was their fault for the leak. You'll never know if it was a defective part or incorrect installation on their part. Not to mention the possibility of any engine damage.

The dealership that incorrectly installed my driveshaft gasket wouldn't pay for the tow, and laughed at me when I mentioned would go to the BBB and said good luck with a lawyer. Had AAMCO check it out for any damage(again at my cost) . Knock on wood, the transmission lasted the life of the car and didn't suffer any major damage.

Dealerships in effect help create the distrust and hostility that alot of customers encounter.
You are stuck with dealerships during warranty period but it's no wonder after warranty period is up, alot of people do not go back.

Two different dealership experience where the transmission fluid all drained out and another the studs broke off my wheels and tire was wobbling and almost had accident. Granted this was many many years ago but both happened after leaving dealerships and required tows.

I respect your position and truly wish dealership experiences were less adversarial but it hadn't been my experience to date.

I've never had a bad experience with my own work or local mechanics, ever.

Last edited:
Off topic, but I noticed an error in that workshop manual page a couple posts above. For each fastener, the third torque value is supposed to be in-lbf, but for the spark plugs, the value 12-14 is ft-lbf. It's unlikely anybody would actually torque a spark plug to 12-14 in-lbf (that would be finger-tight), but to be on the safe side I thought I should point it out. This kind of error in a workshop manual is unnerving. It makes me wonder how many nonobvious errors there are.
View attachment 311280
It's not an error. Look at the bottom right corner of the page. The unlabeled 3rd torque value is always in ft lbs unless in-lbs is specified

Um did you read the first post. Or any of my posts? The OP has a 2019 . MAZDA changed the valve cover design that reenforces the area that was a small problem with previous engine. :rolleyes:
Do you even know the difference between a "certified" techs and a Master tech? If you truly did you may not have posted your comment. ;)
I really like how from the picture you can tell from the OPs post and pictures who in the dealership service depart did the service. now that is truly funny!!
Besides some work is not so technical that is requires either one. Changes a valve cover seal requires NO certification in any Auto manufacture requirement to become a factory Technician. Nor is it any ASE requirements to pass the test to become an ASE Technician or mechanic!
Funny so many are so quick to blame a dealer until something goes wrong with your own MAZDA and if you are honest with at least yourself many choose to go to the dealer. :LOL:

For other who are genuinely curious and MR madar go look at the first picture I posed of the edge of a MAZDA valve cover and then go look at your valve cover in that same area. :cool:
I would post yet another picture but in this case I would rather you all go see for your own. ;)
I wasn't concerned with your post, actually. The OP said he had a problem with the OCV to which I replied that it was an ongoing problem for years with Mazda. That's it. I don't know how you surmised so much from my few sentences. Do I know the difference between a certified Mazda tech and a Master Mazda tech? You bectha. The certified guy is the one that kept screwing up the work on my car and the master tech is the one who fixed the problem by my request. Personal experience, and there's a few references between the 2 on this forum. I may have admittedly jumped the gun thinking it was a certified tech, but in my experience the master techs always did a superior job the first time. Have a good one. :geek:

Brief update…I stopped by the dealership yesterday morning and spoke with the GM. He told me they started “looking” at my car on Saturday. He stated the leak surprised them because the leak was from the opposite side from where the OCV is located (leak in the OCV was the reason for the repair in the first place). He acknowledged that the reason for the failed repair could have been a bad valve cover, gasket or sealant, but did not acknowledge that the bad result could have been tech induced. He did state that “one of their best shop techs was working on the car”. He also stated that they don’t stock these parts (valve covers and gaskets) because oil leaks like this are very rare (2.5L Turbo engine).

Then about 3pm…I receive a call from a Service Advisor that tells me they have ordered a new VC gasket. And when they get that, they will disassemble the VC assembly and do further analysis of the failure. In other words they didn't do anything but “look“ at the problem for most of two days (Saturday and Tuesday). They just ordered a gasket…and hope that a new gasket will solve the problem.

Brief update…I stopped by the dealership yesterday morning and spoke with the GM. He told me they started “looking” at my car on Saturday. He stated the leak surprised them because the leak was from the opposite side from where the OCV is located (leak in the OCV was the reason for the repair in the first place). He acknowledged that the reason for the failed repair could have been a bad valve cover, gasket or sealant, but did not acknowledge that the bad result could have been tech induced. He did state that “one of their best shop techs was working on the car”. He also stated that they don’t stock these parts (valve covers and gaskets) because oil leaks like this are very rare (2.5L Turbo engine).

Then about 3pm…I receive a call from a Service Advisor that tells me they have ordered a new VC gasket. And when they get that, they will disassemble the VC assembly and do further analysis of the failure. In other words they didn't do anything but “look“ at the problem for most of two days (Saturday and Tuesday). They just ordered a gasket…and hope that a new gasket will solve the problem.
Whether it's manufacturing, car repairs, car accidents, work task failures, etc, 90% of mistakes are usually human error.

No one will ever admit that though.

Glad your cars getting fixed. Hang in there.

Whether it's manufacturing, car repairs, car accidents, work task failures, etc, 90% of mistakes are usually human error.

No one will ever admit that though.

Glad your cars getting fixed. Hang in there.
You percentage is based on what facts found anywhere?
Maybe you don't fess up to mistakes and think everyone else in the world is like you? :rolleyes:

In this case if the service employee doing the service was the fault my world there is no reason not to admit it? The only damage was apparently the leaking oil (the engine can be cleaned) and needing to have the service redone. Sheeeet happens we are all human.
There is NO benefit in this case if the dealership service department did error not to tell the customer?

To be clear I make mistakes I am not perfect, if it is with someone vehicle, I tell what happened. I have yet to have a customer "blow up" or "bad mouth" my work on any media nor do they discontinue coming to me for service or other automotive related contracts.

Maybe this falls under 2 things in life...
Do unto others as you would do unto yourself

and

Honesty is the best policy!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok dude

You win. Since you say so, all dealerships are honest and your the most knowledgeable about Mazdas.

But personal attacks??? Really???

From now on, i'll ignore your posts and hopefully you'll do the same.
My personal experience reflects the same. They'll make all sorts of excuses and never own up to their faults. Your 90% is very generous as mine would be triple digit.

Hey guys …the dealer just called me to say that apparently the gasket had been damaged during the install and that was the reason for the oil leak. The Advisor said that they have received the replacement gasket and that they would proceed with the repair. He did say that they would clean up the engine, r&r the VC gasket, and test the repair. He said they would keep the car overnight and check it again tomorrow. Hopefull, all will go as planned and I’ll get my vehicle back tomorrow afternoon.

This thread was brought to moderator attention and warnings will be issued as required. I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that we are all here to learn, first and foremost. Knowledge and experience are very important, but it is also important to behave like adults. You can state your opinion without becoming confrontational, disrespectful, or condescending. If this isn't possible, then it's best to leave the conversation or ignore the other person(s).

Back on track, folks.

This thread was brought to moderator attention and warnings will be issued as required. I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that we are all here to learn, first and foremost. Knowledge and experience are very important, but it is also important to behave like adults. You can state your opinion without becoming confrontational, disrespectful, or condescending. If this isn't possible, then it's best to leave the conversation or ignore the other person(s).

Back on track, folks.
Errr, I tried to tells ya (post #20). Hey, WRT this repair. Since the valve cover will have been on and off twice now…and maybe dirt, dust, gasket bits, etc., may have inadvertently gotten into the engine… I’m thinking maybe I should just do an oil change once I get the car back (as long as there are no leaks). What do you folks think?

Errr, I tried to tells ya (post #20). Hey, WRT this repair. Since the valve cover will have been on and off twice now…and maybe dirt, dust, gasket bits, etc., may have inadvertently gotten into the engine… I’m thinking maybe I should just do an oil change once I get the car back (as long as there are no leaks). What do you folks think?
It couldn't hurt, seeing how there was an issue the first time around with the dealer tech. Maybe run it a few days first to make sure there are no actual leaks this time around.

There is no need nor is there really any evidence of any engine contamination with the procedure done on your car no matter who did it if it were service at least inside a shop. So to change the oil & filter unless you want simply peace of mind. Sometimes peace of mind is good but it always costs $$

Personally I think it is funny how a few members seem on pretty much all vehicle related forums consistently post having bad experience seldom post the service write up TO SUPPORT THIER PERSONAL OPIONS and often group all the dealerships service department as bad?
From what I read the dealership and your experience was professional ,courteous and your problem resolved.

:cool:(y):)

There is no need nor is there really any evidence of any engine contamination with the procedure done on your car no matter who did it if it were service at least inside a shop. So to change the oil & filter unless you want simply peace of mind. Sometimes peace of mind is good but it always costs $$

Personally I think it is funny how a few members seem on pretty much all vehicle related forums consistently post having bad experience seldom post the service write up TO SUPPORT THIER PERSONAL OPIONS and often group all the dealerships service department as bad?
From what I read the dealership and your experience was professional ,courteous and your problem resolved.

Thanks for the input. And yes, I will do an oil change for peace of mind only. I’ll also send an oil sample out for analysis…As far as this dealer is concerned, I’ve been very careful not to post my true feelings…just state basic facts. However, if I was grading CM of O, I’d rate the GM an “A-“, the SM a “C”, the first shop tech a “D”, the second shop tech a “B” maybe even raise that if I find no leaks and the engine is clean (no oil anywhere) and the Service Advisors I spoke with an “F”. Overall, my experience with this dealership (where I bought the car new) was very disappointing. At least I do have my vehicle back and there appears that there are no oil leaks. I will verify that tomorrow when I do an out of cycle oil change for peace of mind…because I simply don’t trust this dealership.

Thanks for the input. And yes, I will do an oil change for peace of mind only. I’ll also send an oil sample out for analysis…As far as this dealer is concerned, I’ve been very careful not to post my true feelings…just state basic facts. However, if I was grading CM of O, I’d rate the GM an “A-“, the SM a “C”, the first shop tech a “D”, the second shop tech a “B” maybe even raise that if I find no leaks and the engine is clean (no oil anywhere) and the Service Advisors I spoke with an “F”. Overall, my experience with this dealership (where I bought the car new) was very disappointing. At least I do have my vehicle back and there appears that there are no oil leaks. I will verify that tomorrow when I do an out of cycle oil change for peace of mind…because I simply don’t trust this dealership.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with being cautious. Hope the issue doesn't come back! (y)

This forum is not for "checking receipts", petty debates or passive aggressive jabs. I understand that you work in the industry, but when a few members put their opinions based on their own experience forward, it doesn't mean that everyone holds that opinion, or that it reflects on your businesses or the work that you do. It just means that they had bad experiences.

This forum is not for "checking receipts", petty debates or passive aggressive jabs. I understand that you work in the industry, but when a few members put their opinions based on their own experience forward, it doesn't mean that everyone holds that opinion, or that it reflects on your businesses or the work that you do. It just means that they had bad experiences.
Respectfully I am responding to your off topic response as you are a moderator.

IMHO (In My Humbel Opinion) Here is something you seldom read on forums, it is funny that there are always members that complain how bad a dealership was to them, but even on forums I have to say and even this forum it is nothing compared to how so many people are rude, demanding, and as if entitled because they purchased a vehicle how badly, they overall treat employees of dealerships after the sale. The next in line are walk in auto part retailers, and then independent chain automotive service centers.

IMHO (In My Humbel Opinion)The reason for me personally requestion and looking at service write ups is that you can see many times what was written down and often either missed or misunderstood by the customer that signed them. Knowing and reading that service writers information can often times help a member to better resolve questions and concerns rather than sticking pin in a Voodoo doll representing the dealership of service shop or having forum member assume thing based on really limited or one sided information.

Back