Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

just FY
Mazda has updated the tsb with a new tsb.
Now apart from the pads for the top of the front doors seals there is also a new pad for the top of the whole windshield seal too. So 3 pads added. 2 for each door seals and 1 new for the windshield top seal.

just FY
Mazda has updated the tsb with a new tsb.
Now apart from the pads for the top of the front doors seals there is also a new pad for the top of the whole windshield seal too. So 3 pads added. 2 for each door seals and 1 new for the windshield top seal.

Where is this TSB? I just took my CX-5 in to a local dealer to have them fix the whistling sound I get at freeway speeds when a cross wind hits the car and they refused to fix it saying it was normal. They said the TSB was describing a different issue which I don't get since it literally explains how to reproduce it in the TSB. They also said they drove my car around and heard it (which I doubt since it wasn't windy enough) and that it was just a normal sound that the roof rack makes. When I sent them a video they said that sound was normal, too.

This was the TSB I showed them: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10201775-0001.pdf

Seems weird they wouldn't do the repair since I thought they are reimbursed by Mazda corporate for that kind of work.

Where is this TSB? I just took my CX-5 in to a local dealer to have them fix the whistling sound I get at freeway speeds when a cross wind hits the car and they refused to fix it saying it was normal. They said the TSB was describing a different issue which I don't get since it literally explains how to reproduce it in the TSB. They also said they drove my car around and heard it (which I doubt since it wasn't windy enough) and that it was just a normal sound that the roof rack makes. When I sent them a video they said that sound was normal, too.

This was the TSB I showed them: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10201775-0001.pdf

Seems weird they wouldn't do the repair since I thought they are reimbursed by Mazda corporate for that kind of work.
Time to find another dealer willing to work with you.

2019 CX-5 Signature 18,5xxx miles

I am currently dealing with the buzzing/cricket/mosquito/chirping sound under slight load and at idle. Noise is as described here, follows engine RPM, cuts in and out dependent on throttle/load on engine, have it on audio, and have been arguing with my dealer for over a year, with multiple drop off's for early morning startup when its most cold. Dealer changed to a new service manager, who promised to dive into this and talk to other dealers/techs to see what he could find. After not hearing back from them for over a month, I finally got ahold of him and his attitude was completely different, saying Foreman Technician of over 20 years couldn't hear it on the video, would have to replicate the sound in person, bring the car back and drive with them (how many times are we going to do this) and nothing else he can do. Meanwhile, at first, he was talking about having me leave the vehicle with them for a little while, give me a loaner, really find out the issue.... So I told them I'm done with them and contacting corporate. I have an appointment this week at another smaller and further dealer here on Long Island, NY.

Hoping for answers, as it is going to be warming up before we know it.

If by any chance I'm able to squeeze Mazda for a solution and a fix, I will absolutely post the information for everyone. This has become a huge headache, and almost turning into a part time job doing the research for them. Very unhappy and wish I never purchased this vehicle. My Girlfriend is also furious about this whole issue and trying to solve it.

Previously owned at 2017 CX-5 NON Turbo..... none of the nosies or problems.

2019 CX-5 Signature 18,5xxx miles

I am currently dealing with the buzzing/cricket/mosquito/chirping sound under slight load and at idle. Noise is as described here, follows engine RPM, cuts in and out dependent on throttle/load on engine, have it on audio, and have been arguing with my dealer for over a year, with multiple drop off's for early morning startup when its most cold. Dealer changed to a new service manager, who promised to dive into this and talk to other dealers/techs to see what he could find. After not hearing back from them for over a month, I finally got ahold of him and his attitude was completely different, saying Foreman Technician of over 20 years couldn't hear it on the video, would have to replicate the sound in person, bring the car back and drive with them (how many times are we going to do this) and nothing else he can do. Meanwhile, at first, he was talking about having me leave the vehicle with them for a little while, give me a loaner, really find out the issue.... So I told them I'm done with them and contacting corporate. I have an appointment this week at another smaller and further dealer here on Long Island, NY.

Hoping for answers, as it is going to be warming up before we know it.

If by any chance I'm able to squeeze Mazda for a solution and a fix, I will absolutely post the information for everyone. This has become a huge headache, and almost turning into a part time job doing the research for them. Very unhappy and wish I never purchased this vehicle. My Girlfriend is also furious about this whole issue and trying to solve it.

Previously owned at 2017 CX-5 NON Turbo..... none of the nosies or problems.
What problems are you experiencing, besides this noise issue? We've had ours over 3 years and have never heard this buzzing sound.

From what I read in this thread, it is just a "feature" of the 2.5T motor. I doubt there is a "fix" as there isn't something wrong. I agree with the previous poster - I don't hear the noise at all. I only have 6k on mine and just took a 500 mile highway trip over the weekend, no unusual noises at all. I don't have the high speed wind issues either. I would ask to test drive a '22 Turbo and see if it still has the sound.

Last edited:
From what I read in this thread, it is just a "feature" of the 2.5T motor. I doubt there is a "fix" as there isn't something wrong. I agree with the previous poster - I don't hear the noise at all. I only have 6k on mine and just took a 500 mile highway trip over the weekend, no unusual noises at all. I don't have the high speed wind issues either. I would ask to test drive a '22 Turbo and see if it still has the sound.
We have two 2019 CX-5 Signature vehicles, and the buzzing noise is very noticeable on both. The dealer's service department has tried to resolve the issue by adding insulation to the high-pressure fuel lines, but to no avail. The service manager, who has been very responsive and effective with other CX-5 issues, told me that nothing more can be done. I'll be eagerly watching this thread for updates.

Just as another data point, I've never noticed this noise on my 2.2 diesel 2019 signature.

If this seems to be isolated to the 2.5 turbo motor, I wonder if other 2.5T equipped vehicle owners (3,6,cx30,cx9) complain of it?

I don't hear it in my CX-9. I think I may have posted in this thread a long time ago.

Edit: I did post about it in 2019, when I thought I heard it. There's been a few times since then when I've driven the car with the radio muted and the HVAC off just to listen to the noises the Corksport intake made, and if this particular sound is present in my car, I'm just not hearing it.

Last edited:
Today marks day 8 of the dealer having my cx5, I stopped in yesterday to check up on them… finally found a service manager who cares and tries, but they are still claiming to NOT hear it. I showed them the video and sent it to them, and the noise was acknowledged but now the problem is the temp isn’t in the 20’s any longer, therefore the noise doesn’t present itself nearly as loud, but if you know the sound, it’s always there’s haunting you. After the last 7 days of early morning cold starts and driving, he still can’t hear or replicate for himself.

This service manager at this dealer has gone out of his way to diagnose and I really appreciate his efforts. He also gave me the inside scoop for why the dealer I purchased from is the largest on Long Island but has constant complaints and issues. He won’t even work with them for anything. We are going to discuss further options, being that the next time it’s cold enough to replicate, I’ll be out of warranty. I can update what was checked when I get the paperwork and pick up the vehicle, unfortunately without any remedy. I also mentioned the adding insulation on the bracket, but they weren’t keen on doing something like that.

Some back story:
I called Mazda corporate to get this all started, and file my complaints with the original dealer. Spoke with a lady who seemed to care less, had a sour attitude, and was asking me for the next steps... First time she scheduled an appt, I showed up to that appt 3-4 weeks after scheduling and they said “what appointment and what loaner vehicle we don’t have any”…. So then I spent a few hours calling mazda back, told them of the appointment that was never on record, and had a terrible time trying to get her to properly help me. Even my GF was overhearing how she was speaking and was saying my same exact feelings. Skipping the details, I scheduled a drop off that same night for a dealer nearby but without a loaner car. Advisor/manager was a breath of fresh air, and we forgot to bring two cars from being so frustrated all day, but he was nice enough to give us a loner no problem, especially after seeing my cars file filled with what I’ve been dealing with.

I’m sick of this vehicle, I’m sick of the noise, and I’ve never hated dealing with a brand new car more than this one. I am appalled at the way things have been handled and unfortunately I’m going to be loosing out even more money trying to dump this vehicle to someone willing to pay as much as I can get. I already lost a lot on the previous vehicle mistake, which of course I rolled into this loan, so this really stings.

Nothing about my Mazda experience has been happy. Peeling steering wheel warranty replaced, sloppy worthless techs didn’t put trims back on properly and it’s not m the same as brand new, and scratched my cluster glass which I made them replace. They also broke the left side steering wheel buttons cluster which I had to go back again to be replaced. Barely touched a curb with the wheel itself and bent the drivers hub bearing. There’s also a manufacturer blemish on trim around AC vents, but was told they won’t replace that either.

Just as another data point, I've never noticed this noise on my 2.2 diesel 2019 signature.

If this seems to be isolated to the 2.5 turbo motor, I wonder if other 2.5T equipped vehicle owners (3,6,cx30,cx9) complain of it?
Agreed, seems to be isolated to the 2.5 turbo motor. I’m convinced it’s the direct injection pump and it’s mounting brackets. I have a loaner Mazda 3 turbo, and when motor is COLD and I drive it immediately, I can very very VERY slightly hear a higher pitched noise like we are complaining about. But then it’s gone after a minute or two and I don’t hear anything at all. JUST HOW IT SHOULD BE!

Barely touched a curb with the wheel itself and bent the drivers hub bearing.

Bent the hub? What was the symptoms after it got bent?

Barely touched a curb with the wheel itself and bent the drivers hub bearing.

Bent the hub? What was the symptoms after it got bent?
The wheel bearing bent so had some slight wobble that would get worse with speed. Left a gash on the wheel, but didn’t tweak alignment or anything else. Was a median in a parking lot next to a parking spot that caused it. Seems like it should be a bit sturdier but…

Just picked up the vehicle. Heard the noise right away, faint, but there. Grabbed the service advisor, had him sit in passenger and I replicated it. Showed my video again to compare. No luck to get him to hear it, it’s just not cold enough to be as loud as it gets. Doesn’t help that my hearing is more sensitive to higher pitch either.

Over a year dealing with this, but not much progress. This dealer has done much more than where I purchased, so I’m thankful for him and will use them for my needs.

Seems I’m in between a rock and a hard place, and that reminder everytime I hear the noise is just a depressing defeating feeling now. I will be contacting Mazda “customer care” corporate, but I really doubt I’ll get much further. Anything further I’ll report back.

Seems I’m in between a rock and a hard place, and that reminder everytime I hear the noise is just a depressing defeating feeling now. I will be contacting Mazda “customer care” corporate, but I really doubt I’ll get much further. Anything further I’ll report back.
I've been there, @Cx5team . It's an awful feeling. I had a lemon 2018 Mazda6 and it had issue after issue (suspension issues, interior issues, engine issues (replaced), fuel leaks, PCM failure, parts falling off on the highway, etc...). Every time it went it for warranty work it came back with something else broken. My experience with Mazda corporate is that they can do absolutely nothing to help you out, they are a call centre. It sounds like you have a good dealer who is doing everything they can to help you out and that makes a world of difference.

Don't let this define you or your happiness. It's a rabbit hole of misery. Your car is making an crappy noise and it sucks. It's ruined your new car experience and that is hard to take when we spend so much money on these things. Cars are like pets, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't...but we have to live with it as long as it takes. Set a goal of getting right-side up in your loan with it and dump it and move on. I was able to trade my Mazda6 around the 3 year mark and my new rig has been working much better.

It's not right that Mazda treats customers this way when things go bad...but it seems it's business as usual for them, which is not ok. That seems to be the case with most auto manufacturers, however. There are so many stories of people being left out to dry by car manufacturers when things don't work right. I had a similar experience with a VW GTi.

I now have an appreciation for that Pontiac Aztec I used to see around town that had LEMON written all over it and the lists of issues it had.

I hope things come around for you and you're able to find a way through this frustration and feeling of defeat.

I have the exact same buzzing on my brand new 2022 sport design. Seems it hasn't been resolved on the 2022 model.

I saw a thread on the mazdaforum.com where two owners were able to eliminate/reduce the noise by adding insulation to the bracket of the fuel line. Anyone here can confirm?

Thanks

Up. Has anyone found a solution to it ? Temperature are dropping and the sound is coming back. I wonder what whats thats gonna sound like at -20C.

I also have this same noise. Noticed it at about 200 miles and have 800 miles now. It is super faint at idle with the hood open (sounds like a frequency whistle) but where you can hear it although not all the time is under mild acceleration/load when at speed, say about 40 and above. When you let off the accelerator, it vanishes. Its best described as a high pitched frequency whine kind of sound but yep, still around for 2023 Turbo. Mine is very faint but I can hear it when the radio is off or super low and the windows up...hasn't gotten worse, yet... but it's there. Sometimes I don't hear it, sometimes I do lol. Also since I got my car at the end of May, i've only experienced the noise in warmer weather. Hoping it doesn't get louder in colder weather :(

Last edited:
Back