Mazda5 Intermittent hard start issue

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport auto
For a year or so now, every once in a while the 5 would have to crank for a while before sputtering to life. 95+% of the time it starts immediately and there's never an issue once running. This last weekend, it wouldn't fire up. Initial cranking resulted in a little bit of firing, but it settled into just cranking with no attempt to fire even after multiple attempts. We took a different vehicle that day so the next day when I tried again, it cranked for a few seconds before slowly sputtering to life, as if the fuel supply/pressure had to build back up. I seems like a fuel issue.

I swapped a couple relays related to fuel and it struggled (but did start) again yesterday. There doesn't seem to be a correlation to temperature or how long it's been sitting. It's my wife's car and I'm usually not available (or we're in a hurry) to diagnose by listening for the pump when it happens. She always has the kids with her so asking her to listen under the rear of the car isn't realistic.

Is there anything I should try before I fire a fuel pump out of the parts cannon?

Responded to the old thread you posted in, but some other things to check.
-check for a leaky injector causing a dry fuel line
-make sure the ECU connectors are firmly seated (has there been any work in that timeframe which would have had them disconnected?)
-Double check your battery and ground connections are solid.

Only fuel pump I’ve had fail was in my ‘05 Mz3, and that presented only when I got past 50mph, or at WOT. Then it would buck hard because it was no longer able to supply fuel fast enough. Worked fine at crank, idle, and normal driving.

For a year or so now, every once in a while the 5 would have to crank for a while before sputtering to life. 95+% of the time it starts immediately and there's never an issue once running. This last weekend, it wouldn't fire up. Initial cranking resulted in a little bit of firing, but it settled into just cranking with no attempt to fire even after multiple attempts. We took a different vehicle that day so the next day when I tried again, it cranked for a few seconds before slowly sputtering to life, as if the fuel supply/pressure had to build back up. I seems like a fuel issue.

I swapped a couple relays related to fuel and it struggled (but did start) again yesterday. There doesn't seem to be a correlation to temperature or how long it's been sitting. It's my wife's car and I'm usually not available (or we're in a hurry) to diagnose by listening for the pump when it happens. She always has the kids with her so asking her to listen under the rear of the car isn't realistic.

Is there anything I should try before I fire a fuel pump out of the parts cannon?
check your fuel pressure?

Back