Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

... as I was going to try to figure out which wheel corresponds to each PID [numbered 1 to 4] for individual tyre pressures [and temp, and what looks like TPMS sensor id] - vals seem about right [35-37psi, quoted to one decimal place]....
That's what I did, varied the pressure in each tire to see what was where. Also, FYI, the wheel 1-4 follows the wheel not the position so when you rotate your tires it follows where the wheel goes.

I have mine set up on the display in a logical 4 grid box pattern to represent the position on the car and have to change it when tires are rotated. (Also easy way to tell if your service provider actually rotated the tires if you have someone else service it :)

Screenshot_20211213-080608.png

Now back to your regularly scheduled power discussion 😁

That's what I did, varied the pressure in each tire to see what was where. Also, FYI, the wheel 1-4 follows the wheel not the position so when you rotate your tires it follows where the wheel goes.
Yea. AIUI, the sensor is in the valve of tyre
To avoid dealing with this issue, may explain why (unlike some other cars), the CX-5 doesn't have a graphic showing individual wheel pressures i.e. ECU just takes the min of 4 sensors values & shows the TPMS light if less than the min [any clue what that is - a previous rental light came on at 23psi (regular was 35psi)?]. Is there a OBD PID for the skinny spare?

I have mine set up on the display in a logical 4 grid box pattern to represent the position on the car and have to change it when tires are rotated. (Also easy way to tell if your service provider actually rotated the tires if you have someone else service it :)
Good point about rotation - hadn't thought far enough ahead about that

On FORScan, my current table view is [but I need to play]
Screenshot_20220121-115348.png

Those psi are down from a few days ago - maybe the temp [my weather station does say it is 19F outside]
Now back to your regularly scheduled power discussion 😁
Maybe time to do some work...or is it now lunchtime ;)

Drove for about 30mins at lunch [low speed town driving < 45mph] - all 4 tyre temps went up 1.2-1.5 psi

Last edited:
Just got the TSB installed on my 21 CE 2.5T and can confirm the issue is fixed. It was about 5F on the way to the dealer and I definitely noticed no turbo in 1st and 2nd. On the way home after the update it was about 16F and had full power in all gears. A noticeable change. Also the dealer didn't give me any trouble about performing the update. I simply told them I wanted it and they said OK.

Any canucks have this TSB performed? I have a service coming up in the next few weeks and I am going to see if this is listed in Mazda Canada's system.

*Update* Looks like the TSB is listed in Mazda Canada's system

Last edited:
Fellow canadian here ....
The TSB was installed this morning on my 2019 GTR. I simply showed the TSB to the service manager and they performed the update.
-15C on my way back home and i can confirm the turbo is back in first and second :D

Fellow canadian here ....
The TSB was installed this morning on my 2019 GTR. I simply showed the TSB to the service manager and they performed the update.
-15C on my way back home and i can confirm the turbo is back in first and second :D

Thanks for the confirmation!

I wonder why this doesn't apply to all the other vehicles with the 2.5T like the 3, 6, 30? Are they just not affected?

Glad to see persistence pay off for those suffering with this issue.

And good to see the official reason coming from Mazda. The philosophy of their AWD system is to predict tire slippage and hence get in front of it. I'm not surprised this was the reason all along. More so with the CX-5 being their best seller and a family vehicle.

I wonder why this doesn't apply to all the other vehicles with the 2.5T like the 3, 6, 30? Are they just not affected?
Unsure. Either not affected or owners aren't complaining. Mz6 is only FWD and Mz3 and CX30 are newer version AWD turbo powertrains. I'm particularly curious about Mz6 turbo's torque on 1st and 2nd gears below 20F.

If the above is true, all the more reason why I don't think the official reason of traction control is the real reason Mazda initially pulled torque from 1st and 2nd in the CX5 turbos.

Last edited:

Unsure. Either not affected or owners aren't complaining. Mz6 is only FWD and Mz3 and CX30 are new generation AWD turbo powertrains. I'm particularly curious about Mz6 turbo's torque on 1st and 2nd gears below 20F.

If the above is true, all the more reason why I don't think the official reason of traction control is the real reason Mazda initially pulled torque from 1st and 2nd in the CX5 turbos.

Here is some feedback from a 2019 Mazda6 2.5T owner. -15c when he did his testing, and no lack of power in any gear, according to him.

Went into a dealer (note I didn't buy my car from this dealer, but it's much closer to me), asked the service writer if they could update the TCM and PCM software according to the TSB form 01-016/21 (on my phone - above).

Service writer was VERY defensive, stating that "forums are never right", and basically told me that I have no idea what I'm talking about and had no interest in seeing the form on my phone.

Service writer stated that Mazda doesn't pay to do service work if the issue can't be replicated.

I explained to him that it was the TSB FORM, not FORUM. I also attempted to explain to him the issue, stating it's a common problem.

Service writer was surprised and questioned how I got the TSB form/TSB Number. Asked if I had an official Mazda certified tech suggest this as a fix for the issue. I said no, and that the issue aligns with the issues that other CX-5 owners are having with the same exact vehicle.

Service writer reluctantly scheduled an appointment to replicate the issue (who knows if the temp is going to be cold enough for the power reduction to occur again).

I honestly didn't think it was going to be an ordeal, and it's kind of off-putting that this guy wouldn't listen to a knowledgeable person.

I'm really not interested in bringing my new car (which now has CS intake and RB Exhaust) in to this dealer if it's going to be a continuation of the hassle that I've had thus far. I had a much, much better experience at the original dealer I bought the car from. I may just wait until I need an oil change and bring it to the original dealer... which ends up being a half-day adventure, ugh.

Went into a dealer (note I didn't buy my car from this dealer, but it's much closer to me), asked the service writer if they could update the TCM and PCM software according to the TSB form 01-016/21 (on my phone - above).

Service writer was VERY defensive, stating that "forums are never right", and basically told me that I have no idea what I'm talking about and had no interest in seeing the form on my phone.

Service writer stated that Mazda doesn't pay to do service work if the issue can't be replicated.

I explained to him that it was the TSB FORM, not FORUM. I also attempted to explain to him the issue, stating it's a common problem.

Service writer was surprised and questioned how I got the TSB form/TSB Number. Asked if I had an official Mazda certified tech suggest this as a fix for the issue. I said no, and that the issue aligns with the issues that other CX-5 owners are having with the same exact vehicle.

Service writer reluctantly scheduled an appointment to replicate the issue (who knows if the temp is going to be cold enough for the power reduction to occur again).

I honestly didn't think it was going to be an ordeal, and it's kind of off-putting that this guy wouldn't listen to a knowledgeable person.

I'm really not interested in bringing my new car (which now has CS intake and RB Exhaust) in to this dealer if it's going to be a continuation of the hassle that I've had thus far. I had a much, much better experience at the original dealer I bought the car from. I may just wait until I need an oil change and bring it to the original dealer... which ends up being a half-day adventure, ugh.
Honestly, I would not own a car with such terrible support. This is also part of why I won't buy a Stelvio. No dealer within 180mi.

Honestly, I would not own a car with such terrible support. This is also part of why I won't buy a Stelvio. No dealer within 180mi.
It's a dealer/service writer thing, not a manufacturer thing.

Regardless, I think printing the TSB and showing it to the Service writer may have been the way to go in the first place.

Last edited:
⋯ Service writer reluctantly scheduled an appointment to replicate the issue (who knows if the temp is going to be cold enough for the power reduction to occur again).
Honestly, if the dealer can’t duplicate the problem, even if it’s because the temperature isn’t cold enough, they have legit reason not to perform the TSB, as the Mazda North American Operations may not pay for it. However, the dealer should be able to get prior approval from MNAO to perform the TSB even if they can’t duplicate the problem and get paid by MNAO.

Back