Mazda CX-50 announced

It looks like production has already started in Alabama.

268444937_6589551817784743_6509658027408420998_n.jpg

There are some nice close ups and a video as well on that site. Can't wait to see this in person.

I don't think any actual dimensions or specs are available yet, but one thing that all of the articles and reports agree on is that it will be slightly longer than the CX-5, which is about 179". I'd guess that the CX-50 will be around 185" in total length.

Some of the articles I’ve read said the CX-50 is a hair wider than the current CX-9. Not sure how that translates interior room but everything points towards the newer models having more interior space. Can’t wait to see the new CX-90!

Although vehicles like this don't really have articulation like a true off-roader (I have a 460 w/KDSS)... my '15 CX-5 has 8.5" of ground clearance before it dropped to 7.6" in '17 and then 7.5" in '18+

I believe ground clearance stat is still an unknown

If they are trying to meet or beat a Subaru Outback it will have to be 8.7" or greater

I don’t think this has been mentioned previously but there is an iStop OFF button to the left of the steering wheel. This iStop feature is a first for the US and will likely come to other Mazda vehicles next year.

FGHgSpFVcAE2VkY

Here is a closeup of the features in the CX-50 including iStop OFF.

2023-Mazda-CX-50-25.jpg
It's conveniently located next to TCS OFF. ;) It's Mazda's first go with it in the US. I guess Mazda needs to milk mpgs wherever they can find them. Here's a fresh video on the subject.

Note that this system does not use the starter. The engine restarts through cylinder compression. What's the over/under on the number of TSBs?

It's conveniently located next to TCS OFF. ;) It's Mazda's first go with it in the US. I guess Mazda needs to milk mpgs wherever they can find them. Here's a fresh video on the subject.

Note that this system does not use the starter. The engine restarts through cylinder compression. What's the over/under on the number of TSBs?
At least this has been around in Japan and Europe for close to 10 years with Mazda so bugs have been worked out. I just don’t think the gas savings are worth it.

At least this has been around in Japan and Europe for close to 10 years with Mazda so bugs have been worked out. I just don’t think the gas savings are worth it.
This 10 year old technology had a 2020 recall for 2019 models in Australia, UK and Europe. The vehicles failed to restart. These might all be 1.5 L diesels but I don't feel like digging any further.

What amounts to a diesel technique in a petrol engine? What could possibly go wrong?

He said little hesitation upon 're-start' - about .35 seconds. .35 seconds is longer than one thinks and is a very noticeable tome.

he guy seems like a total Bozo, and unless he just likes trying to sound intelligent, I have no idea why he keeps calling the CX-5 boring and no different than any other compact SUV.

But it seems like one of the better walk-around video I've seen yet. It looks like he's using someone else's video, but I can't find it anywhere else

he guy seems like a total Bozo, and unless he just likes trying to sound intelligent, I have no idea why he keeps calling the CX-5 boring and no different than any other compact SUV.

But it seems like one of the better walk-around video I've seen yet. It looks like he's using someone else's video, but I can't find it anywhere else

He's using the video from when the CX-50 was shown in Canada in mid-November:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new poster here. Happy NY. I've been going back and forth for the last 2 years on what '2nd' car to buy for our household. COVID has basically 'allowed' us to keep on punting the decision down the road. As a quick background, our main car is the 2019 Audi A8L, and we're exploring a 2nd car. Reliability, corrosion resistance, build quality (both the stuff one can see and one cannot see) are the top 3 items for me. I will warn folks that I am a geek at heart and very much pay attention to the details, but I do have to be cognizant that the next car won't be a six figure car. Practicality (e.g. hauling stuff) is the main reason why we're exploring a 2nd car. The A8L is a gorgeous and lovely car to drive, but it is immensely impractical.

The CX50 is the first Mazda I'm considering (ever). I've always heard great things, but please correct me on the below in case I'm wrong:

1) There is a spare tire on the CX50 and that it doesn't use run flats
2) Sadly, the rear suspension is a torsion beam (from the CX30?)
3) Corrosion resistance on Mazdas is massively improved these days.
4) The CX50 *should* be on the quieter side (wind noise/road noise) despite it being the 'off road' version
5) Seat comfort should be pretty good?

The budget is quite all over the place, but these are the cars I've written off

1) CRV (new) - because of corrosion concerns
2) Lexus RX (used) -> theft, and just generally a terrible UI for the multi media interface
3) Subaru (Outback) - because of paint concerns, windshields cracking, and a jerky power band (the 2.4T)
4) Lexus NX - > Run flat tires

Cars that are in contention

1) Audi A4 allroad (used)
2) Lexus LS (used - last gen, but very hard to find low mileage models)
3) Mazda CX50 (new)
4) Maybe an old C or E class wagon (I recognize these have RFTs, sadly)

Frankly, the CX50 is at the top of my list because I can probably buy it new/fully loaded from a budget perspective. Reliability should be pretty good too.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new poster here. Happy NY. I've been going back and forth for the last 2 years on what '2nd' car to buy for our household. COVID has basically 'allowed' us to keep on punting the decision down the road. As a quick background, our main car is the 2019 Audi A8L, and we're exploring a 2nd car. Reliability, corrosion resistance, build quality (both the stuff one can see and one cannot see) are the top 3 items for me. I will warn folks that I am a geek at heart and very much pay attention to the details, but I do have to be cognizant that the next car won't be a six figure car. Practicality (e.g. hauling stuff) is the main reason why we're exploring a 2nd car. The A8L is a gorgeous and lovely car to drive, but it is immensely impractical.

The CX50 is the first Mazda I'm considering (ever). I've always heard great things, but please correct me on the below in case I'm wrong:

4) The CX50 *should* be on the quieter side (wind noise/road noise) despite it being the 'off road' version

The budget is quite all over the place, but these are the cars I've written off

1) CRV (new) - because of corrosion concerns
2) Lexus RX (used) -> theft, and just generally a terrible UI for the multi media interface
3) Subaru (Outback) - because of paint concerns, windshields cracking, and a jerky power band (the 2.4T)
4) Lexus NX - > Run flat tires

Cars that are in contention

1) Audi A4 allroad (used)
2) Lexus LS (used - last gen, but very hard to find low mileage models)
3) Mazda CX50 (new)
4) Maybe an old C or E class wagon (I recognize these have RFTs, sadly)

Frankly, the CX50 is at the top of my list because I can probably buy it new/fully loaded from a budget perspective. Reliability should be pretty good too.

Any thoughts?
If you end up choosing the CX-50 out of those options, I recommend getting the turbo. I’ve had a naturally aspirated CX-5 and a CX-9 (Turbo) and it’s a night and day difference in terms of power around town and throttle response from a stop. Having the turbo really changes the dynamic of the car. Having that low-end torque makes everyday driving just a better experience.

If you choose a pre-owned C or E class you can always swap out the run flats if the previous owner hasn’t already and then throw a can or 2 of fix-a-flat in the trunk. We’ve had 2 BMW’s that were on RFT’s and it was a huge improvement in ride harshness and road noise when we switched them out.

1) Except for the Miata, all Mazdas include a spare. The tires seen so far in the two CX-50 models Mazda has been showing to the press are the 18" all-terrain 225/60R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires, on for non-terrain model are the 20" Goodyear Eagle Touring All Season (245/45R20 99V), what remains is the 18" non-terrain tires on lower trims.

2) Correct, it uses the torsion beam arm (not a solid axle) from the Mazda 3 / CX-30. See Dave Coleman from Mazda speak about it in more details: Mazda 3 AWD 2019 | What you need to know about it's AWD system!

3) Others owners can speak to this but I've heard it does since when looking underneath the bottom it's very much covered.

4) The biggest improvement in cabin noise reduction for me with the CX-5 was from the 2016 to 2017 models so in general Mazda (like many) are constantly improving. No word yet that I came across if they did anything extra with the CX-50.

5) No complaints with the CX-5 from me..

Last edited:
The old iStop mandates a Q85 expensive 12V battery.
Hope the *new* iStop does not.

My '16 Mazda6 GT has the iEloop tech (supercap to drive accessories), which also came with a Q85 12V battery. It costs up side of $400 to replace it every 3 yrs or so (mine failed after 3 yrs).

Back