Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
If all goes well, in the coming weeks, I’ll be trading it in. First time w/o a Mazda in my driveway in 16 years.

I feel this. I’ve had this CX5 turbo loaner for almost two months. I’ve put 1600 miles on it, and I’ve noticed random jerks, momentary loss of power (a second or less while going up hill), and odd responses from it in the last week. I’m running 87 octane in it because $3.50 vs $4.50 per gallon is a lot. I hope these are flukes and maybe just bad gas, but it’s not helping my confidence in the 2.5T engine.

We’re keeping my wife’s CX5 (2.5 NA) for now since it’s pretty solid, and less than a year away from being paid off, but I doubt the cx9 will make its way across the country with us when we move. It may not even get back to my house when it’s repaired. I may pick it up and go straight to CarMax and cash in on their insane offer.

I feel this. I’ve had this CX5 turbo loaner for almost two months. I’ve put 1600 miles on it, and I’ve noticed random jerks, momentary loss of power (a second or less while going up hill), and odd responses from it in the last week. I’m running 87 octane in it because $3.50 vs $4.50 per gallon is a lot. I hope these are flukes and maybe just bad gas, but it’s not helping my confidence in the 2.5T engine
Considering that I have owned a Mazda in some way or another since I got my first car at 18 and I'm now near 40, I still have faith in the brand.

What can I say.

I’ve never used anything but 87 in my CX-9. Always ran fine.

I didn’t lose faith in the brand, just going for something different this time around.

⋯ We’re keeping my wife’s CX5 (2.5 NA) for now since it’s pretty solid, and less than a year away from being paid off, but I doubt the cx9 will make its way across the country with us when we move. It may not even get back to my house when it’s repaired. I may pick it up and go straight to CarMax and cash in on their insane offer.
Yes, the 2.5L NA is pretty solid if yours doesn’t have cylinder deactivation (2017 MY and prior).

And try to disable the TCS by pressing the “TCS OFF” button if the road condition is good which may make your CX’s peppier with better gas mileage ⋯ ;)

Shut off TCS for a day!

I doubt the cx9 will make its way across the country with us when we move. It may not even get back to my house when it’s repaired. I may pick it up and go straight to CarMax and cash in on their insane offer.

There is no better time than now to make that move, if that's what you choose to do (y)

There is no better time than now to make that move, if that's what you choose to do (y)
Yeah, I know. I was about to start a new thread because I realize I'm probably being a bit too dramatic about my frustrations, and I come across as _that_ guy where it's like "ok, stop complaining and go buy something else already!"

The dealer confirmed they got my engine on Saturday and started the repair process today. I hope to have my car back in a week or so.

I’ve been trying to be more objective and less knee-jerk towards this process, but anyone who’s going through it knows it sucks. I’m fortunate that the dealer has provided me with a loaner and there was no hesitation in taking on the repairs at no cost to me. I reminded myself that I bought my CX-9 for a reason, and until I ended up in this position I was happy with it. I also remembered that unless I want to spend excessive amounts of money, my best move is to keep my CX-9 for a bit longer. I think the timing is what sucks…and also Mazda customer service telling me “…he hasn’t called you back because we’re too swamped with calls to follow up…” and they told me they had no clue what the status of my case is, but the dealer telling me they have the engine. It’s a lot of disconnected departments who seem to be pretty bad at communicating. I hope everyone else in this position has a better experience than I did, and if you are stuck waiting for an engine replacement now, be ready for a wait of 3+ months.

Yes, the 2.5L NA is pretty solid if yours doesn’t have cylinder deactivation (2017 MY and prior).

And try to disable the TCS by pressing the “TCS OFF” button if the road condition is good which may make your CX’s peppier with better gas mileage ⋯ ;)

Shut off TCS for a day!
Off-topic, but I tried this in the loaner today and it’s kinda silly how much of a difference it makes (or at least feels like). I have no objective data, but it felt like a different car. I’ll try my wife’s NA CX-5 soon and see how it goes.

Yeah, I know. I was about to start a new thread because I realize I'm probably being a bit too dramatic about my frustrations, and I come across as _that_ guy where it's like "ok, stop complaining and go buy something else already!"

The dealer confirmed they got my engine on Saturday and started the repair process today. I hope to have my car back in a week or so.

I’ve been trying to be more objective and less knee-jerk towards this process, but anyone who’s going through it knows it sucks. I’m fortunate that the dealer has provided me with a loaner and there was no hesitation in taking on the repairs at no cost to me. I reminded myself that I bought my CX-9 for a reason, and until I ended up in this position I was happy with it. I also remembered that unless I want to spend excessive amounts of money, my best move is to keep my CX-9 for a bit longer. I think the timing is what sucks…and also Mazda customer service telling me “…he hasn’t called you back because we’re too swamped with calls to follow up…” and they told me they had no clue what the status of my case is, but the dealer telling me they have the engine. It’s a lot of disconnected departments who seem to be pretty bad at communicating. I hope everyone else in this position has a better experience than I did, and if you are stuck waiting for an engine replacement now, be ready for a wait of 3+ months.
Thanks for the update on your situation.

I went through a very similar situation. However my dealer did not give me any loaner/rental until 4 or 5 weeks into waiting for an engine. It wasn’t until after I called Mazda USA on my dealer that they started to listen to us. I don’t know for sure that me calling actually worked or if it was just a coincidence that they gave me an enterprise rental the day after I called Mazda USA. It took my CX-9 about 11 weeks to get a new engine once it was all said and done. The dealer replaced my engine only to have to bring it back for a busted coolant hose (of all things) 2 weeks later. It does suck, but it eventually all works out. Since the busted hose I have only had an oil change, at a different dealership here in Louisville.

Given all the reports coming in, this warrants its own thread. Mods?

I forgot to mention that separate threads have been created in the CX-9, CX-5 and Mazda6 subforums to provide those owners with a copy of the TSB (in case they may need them).

Last edited:
Back