Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Any guides to help spot the leak other than going to the dealer?
If I go under the car where should I look for possible leak?

Changing my oil in a month or so. Gonna take a good look at it.

Any guides to help spot the leak other than going to the dealer?
If I go under the car where should I look for possible leak?

Changing my oil in a month or so. Gonna take a good look at it.
I pulled the entire skid plate (not just the panel for the oil change), and there was green staining and dried coolant on the transfer case. I also smelled coolant when I got close to the hood while the engine was still hot. I believe someone else's leaks showed up around the exhaust manifold, so if you're able to see that far up, you can look there too, but I didn't have to go that far. The pictures of my findings are a few pages back, if you want to know what I found.

2016 CX9. Having same coolant leak issue as referenced elsewhere by others. Just got back from the dealer today and sure enough they say engine replacement is required. 137,372 miles and issue started about 3 weeks ago. My issue is with 137,000 miles and well out of warranty what is the likelihood I can get Mazda to stand behind their product and replace it. On hold with them now and will provide updates. Any wording/comments that will "help the cause" appreciated, I have bought 2 new Mazdas since 2012.

2016 CX9. Having same coolant leak issue as referenced elsewhere by others. Just got back from the dealer today and sure enough they say engine replacement is required. 137,372 miles and issue started about 3 weeks ago. My issue is with 137,000 miles and well out of warranty what is the likelihood I can get Mazda to stand behind their product and replace it. On hold with them now and will provide updates. Any wording/comments that will "help the cause" appreciated, I have bought 2 new Mazdas since 2012.
There are a few on this thread that have said Mazda replaced their engine out of warranty. You might ask them and see how tough or easy it was for them.

The only advice I can offer is to be polite and civil, while also being firm about your concerns. Stick to the facts as much as possible. I would avoid saying things like "you should fix this because it's the right thing to do", and try to get them to sympathize with you by saying things like "if this was your car, would you think that this is acceptable?" Chances are that they will fall back on the expired warranty, but try to treat it as a negotiation, where you're primarily appealing for full coverage, and if that doesn't work, try to ask for partial coverage, and/or a loaner from the dealership or a rental car, free oil changes/services, etc. Good luck!

Ask them if they have a new car they can sell you that will last longer than 137,000 miles. :)

2019 Mazda CX-9 33k miles, coolant leaked, engine is currently being replaced by Mazda under warranty

Thanks all, will employ all of the above advice. Have already made first contact and waiting for Mazda to get back to me after they confer with the dealer.

Have you shown the car to another shop?

Regardless of miles, Mazda factory defect that they should repair. The 2 Mazdas purchased new will also help. I will be surprised if they dont hook you up.

Regardless of miles, Mazda factory defect that they should repair. The 2 Mazdas purchased new will also help. I will be surprised if they dont hook you up.
Not necessary. Mazda North American Operations have every right doing nothing to a vehicle with such problem at 137K miles.

2019 Mazda CX-9 33k miles, coolant leaked, engine is currently being replaced by Mazda under warranty
Do you have to wait the new engine for several months like s0n1c and some others do?

Let's put it this way: if Ford and Mazda were never forced to recall the V6 because of the propensity for a water pump leak to trash the engine, why do you think NHTSA will step up and force a recall for a cracking issue? I just don't see it happening.
Yes. But you’ll just never know. Mazda did issue a “safety” recall to its fallen rocket arm problem on its 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. Most of time there’s no symptom when the rocket arm is gone unless you do the WOT in 30+ seconds. And some CX-5 owners did file the complaint to NHTSA for the problem, which may contribute the recall by the Mazda.

I’d definitely file a complaint for such major problem to NHTSA (and BBB) if it was me.

What outcome are you hoping to achieve by reporting this to NHTSA? This is not going to be categorized as a safety issue. The engine doesn't fail catastrophically, leaving you in a dangerous situation.

Let's put it this way: if Ford and Mazda were never forced to recall the V6 because of the propensity for a water pump leak to trash the engine, why do you think NHTSA will step up and force a recall for a cracking issue? I just don't see it happening.

How NHTSA Gets Cars Recalled
How NHTSA Gets Cars Recalled | Edmunds

Voluntary or not, almost all car recalls are prompted by complaints that consumers make to the manufacturers or to NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).

Btw victims should file a formal complaint to government agencies, regardless if the manufacturer replaced their engine for free.

Stats from just 9 responses so far lol

(FYI forms link, pls share in your cx9 communities: https://forms.gle/ZwE3En5KNrLLPbyB7)

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

How NHTSA Gets Cars Recalled
How NHTSA Gets Cars Recalled | Edmunds

Voluntary or not, almost all car recalls are prompted by complaints that consumers make to the manufacturers or to NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).

Btw victims should file a formal complaint to government agencies, regardless if the manufacturer replaced their engine for free.

Good luck. NHTSA won't do anything unless they are convinced there is a safety issue. Hopefully enough people complain that Mazda is shamed into formally starting a service campaign, rather than the case by case goodwill that appears to be happening now.

Good luck. NHTSA won't do anything unless they are convinced there is a safety issue. Hopefully enough people complain that Mazda is shamed into formally starting a service campaign, rather than the case by case goodwill that appears to be happening now.
You may be right on NHTSA to any engine issues. But based on the history of communications between Mazda North American Operations and NHTSA to fallen rocket arm recall on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I do believe Mazda had to respond the inquiries by NHTSA who somehow acknowledged the issue, possibly by some complaints from CX-5 owners.

Like I said, you’ll never know until you tried. Do report this problem to NHTSA and BBB. It could protect those owners with CX-9、CX-5、CX-30、etc. with the 2.5T in the future like fallen rockef arm recall on the CX-5.

My new engine arrived at the dealership earlier this week after being flown on a plane from Japan. It was a 3.5 month wait and it would have been longer if I had not contacted Mazda USA myself. Hoping to have it back next week. I'll report back.

Back