Deactivate the you're too close auto brake "feature"

I really like the CX5 I purchased. It has way more features than I can possibly want even at the Touring level. However the one I DETEST GREATLY is the sensor that makes the determination that you are too close to another vehicle, beeps, vibrates the wheel, displays "BRAKE" on the display and then APPLIES THE BRAKES on you.

How do I shut this off? I can far better determine than a computer with no real decision making capability, or driving experience, when I am too close to another vehicle, what the other vehicle is actually doing and when I really need to brake.

Did you already try changing the alert setting to 'near?'

I bet all those people that caused rear end accidents over the years thought they knew when to brake too. This feature isn't supposed to be something that comes on often. It's a last second thing to keep you from hitting something. Do you normally drive up on people's bumpers?

@SWCX5R , is this happening mostly when you are coming up on a vehicle ahead that is turning right? You are correct that the SCBS system doesn't know the vehicle is turning and *should* (may/might) be out of the way before a collision. The system only activates brakes when a collision is imminent.

The easiest thing you can do (besides changing your driving style) to "get along" with the system is when you get in these situations, simply press slightly on the accelerator or brake. Doing so "tells" the computer brain of the SCBS "Hey! I got dis" and will prevent it from auto-braking.

I believe you can disable the system all together via a check box in one of the menus on the center screen but you have to do it each time you start the car. In that same section is the ability to adjust the system to three sensitivity levels (near,normal,far).

With the SCBS set to near, if you're still getting frequent activation you may want to consider your driving style. As you have noticed, your car is considering the "worst case" scenario and deciding it's time to take action. Your brain is factoring other variables and your driving style is less conservative.

I like to have an increased reward for an increased risk. Driving at a sporting brisk pace on a low volume backroad is exhilarating to me, but also carries increased risk pushing closer to vehicle limits. But what is the reward for getting so close to other vehicles that the SCBS is activating? I don't think there is any real time savings. Seems all downside to me.

Hopefully you find a happy place with the SCBS :)

I've only seen the message a few times over the years. It was always when someone was turning right and I was anticipating them turning quicker than they were. I never had it apply the brakes, though.

What is the situation when it happens to you? How close are you when it actually applies the brakes?

@SWCX5R , is this happening mostly when you are coming up on a vehicle ahead that is turning right? You are correct that the SCBS system doesn't know the vehicle is turning and *should* (may/might) be out of the way before a collision. The system only activates brakes when a collision is imminent.

The easiest thing you can do (besides changing your driving style) to "get along" with the system is when you get in these situations, simply press slightly on the accelerator or brake. Doing so "tells" the computer brain of the SCBS "Hey! I got dis" and will prevent it from auto-braking.

I believe you can disable the system all together via a check box in one of the menus on the center screen but you have to do it each time you start the car. In that same section is the ability to adjust the system to three sensitivity levels (near,normal,far).

With the SCBS set to near, if you're still getting frequent activation you may want to consider your driving style. As you have noticed, your car is considering the "worst case" scenario and deciding it's time to take action. Your brain is factoring other variables and your driving style is less conservative.

I like to have an increased reward for an increased risk. Driving at a sporting brisk pace on a low volume backroad is exhilarating to me, but also carries increased risk pushing closer to vehicle limits. But what is the reward for getting so close to other vehicles that the SCBS is activating? I don't think there is any real time savings. Seems all downside to me.

Great post (y)

I've only seen the message a few times over the years. It was always when someone was turning right and I was anticipating them turning quicker than they were. I never had it apply the brakes, though.

What is the situation when it happens to you? How close are you when it actually applies the brakes?

Same for me, always when the car in front of me is turning right and they take the turn slower than expected. The first time I was annoyed, but after that I understood why it was doing it, and just adjusted my driving style for those specific situations. I have the feature set to "Near", and after nearly 4 years with my CX-9, I can predict when it will trigger and just avoid getting that close.

@SWCX5R, for your 2021 CX-5, to adjust the Smart Brake Support setting, refer to the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual. Here's a link. You'll want to go to Settings > Safety Settings > Collision Avoidance. Then for Smart Brake Support, change the Alert Timing to "Late". You can also disable the feature, but it only works temporarily and will be reactivated once you turn the car off.

He was turning left and only the corner of his trailer was sticking out still. I continued straight ahead without him moving.

He was turning left and only the corner of his trailer was sticking out still. I continued straight ahead without him moving.
Gotchya. The SCBS certainly likes a full lane width of unobstructed safe passage :). Those are the situations where just a little input on the accelerator or brake makes it happy.

To me, all of these "safety systems" are more oriented towards distracted driving assistance to save you whilst you play with your phone. (or reach for your kids bink-y, look at the hot chick/dude you just passed, pick up your beer, etc)

Thanks, I'll look into this "near" setting wherever it is.
What model year?

Anyway, In my 2020 the distance setting can be found at Settings --> Safety --> SBS/SCBS --> Warning Distance. You might find it there.

At Medium, over a little over a year and about 6,500, I think I've had SBS/SCBS squawk maybe three times. I've had it brake once, in low speed SCBS mode I guess it was, a little preemptive and surprising since I was at no risk of hitting the guy, but no harm no foul.

While you're at it, you might as well look at all the Safety settings, the various squawks, steering wheel vibrations, whatnot, to adjust anything else that may be annoying you.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, all of these "safety systems" are more oriented towards distracted driving assistance to save you whilst you play with your phone. (or reach for your kids bink-y, look at the hot chick/dude you just passed, pick up your beer, etc)
Primarily. Or adjusting the climate control, switching radio stations, searching for the hazard light in fog or a torrential downpour or a traffic stoppage ahead, or admiring some scenery. Really, this auto braking stuff can come in handy if you takes your eyes off the road for just a second or two when somebody in front slams on the brakes or pulls out in front of you. Then there's that guy driving in your blind spot. The rear cross traffic alert is a nice feature particularly in parking lots.

What model year?

Anyway, In my 2020 the distance setting can be found at Settings --> Safety --> SBS/SCBS --> Warning Distance. You might find it there. It does sound like you are set to Near though driving style will factor in as others have noted. If it is set to Near, bump it to Medium and see what you get.

At Medium, over a little over a year and about 6,500, I think I've had SBS/SCBS squawk maybe three times. I've had it brake once, in low speed SCBS mode I guess it was, a little preemptive and surprising since I was at no risk of hitting the guy, but no harm no foul.

While you're at it, you might as well look at all the Safety settings, the various squawks, steering wheel vibrations, whatnot, to adjust anything else that may be annoying you.
Why would he want it to alert at further away? He's never touched the setting so it's at Medium/Normal from the factory. It sounds like his driving style is to get close to other cars so he should try Near and see how that works

Why would he want it to alert at further away? He's never touched the setting so it's at Normal from the factory. It sounds like his driving style is to get close to other cars so he should try Near and see how that works.
Right. Momentary brain fart on my part. Thanks for the correction. Edits made.
In 2021 the standard setting is Normal. Just switched to Late. Time well tell.
Sorry. As dunhillmc said, Near should be what you try.

Early, Normal and Late are my choices. Early sounds even worse than Normal so I'll stick with Late. I equate that to it's too late at this point.

Back