Doors auto lock too fast

I have a Mazda CX-5 GTR and the doors autolock too fast after I exit the car. I don't have enough time to walk around to the passenger side to get my stuff out. I would prefer to disable this feature all together but I'm reading I can only lengthen the time it takes for the auto locking to kick in. I can't find directions anywhere. I'm supposed to go to settings but where?

There should be a check box for walk away lock, which you seem to be referring to. Auto lock is while you're in the vehicle.

I have a Mazda CX-5 GTR and the doors autolock too fast after I exit the car. I don't have enough time to walk around to the passenger side to get my stuff out. I would prefer to disable this feature all together but I'm reading I can only lengthen the time it takes for the auto locking to kick in. I can't find directions anywhere. I'm supposed to go to settings but where?
It is Walk Away and it should be under your settings.

page 3-14 in the owner's manual I think is where the reading starts:

From the interactive manual, you want SAFETY --> Advanced keyless entry system

1632337456018.png

drill to keyless entry system

1632337647232.png

Attachments

• 1632337473790.png
    1632337473790.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 1632337490705.png
    1632337490705.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

As noted in the images posted above, you have the option to change the length of time that walk away lock engages from 30s to 90s. I wanted to ask, is the car locking faster than 30s? If so, I'm thinking it's because your key fob may be dipping out of the proximity sensors' range, triggering the walk away lock. There is no proximity sensor at the front of the car, so if you walk around the front after closing the driver's side door, it might lock as you pass the side mirror.

Try walking around the back of the car to see if that changes anything.

My locks quicker than 30 seconds. It seems to lock after I'm a few feet away from the car.

Yes, it works based on proximity and a timer. If you take the keyfob out of the sensor range with walk away lock engaged, the car will lock. However, if the walk away lock is engaged, but the keyfob remains in range (for example, if you close the door and notice that your shoes are untied, so you tie them while you're still beside the car), the car will lock after a certain amount of time.

I've read that people can trap and record the FOB's signal and then use it to open your vehicle.
I use the button inside the door just before I close it.

I've read that people can trap and record the FOB's signal and then use it to open your vehicle.
I use the button inside the door just before I close it.

You are definitely correct. I guess it all depends on your level of comfort for security.

as far back as 2008

from 2017

How old is the fob battery?
It may be low, and the car will think you are further away than you really are.

My quick fix for this is to simply press the unlock button on your driver side door and get out, close your door and the other side door will be unlocked.

Back