Do you use wheel locks?

Both of my Mazdas came with them. I sold both sets on eBay for $40 each.

Same here, except that I still have them. I also have the set that I removed from my Jetta TDI.

I should sell them but that involves effort. lol

Some people say the wheel locks are a waste of money. Do you agree? I'm thinking in something like this:

It's an expensive solution. Somebody has used these locks?
I actually bought a set of OEM wheel locks (~$50?) just for a try when my CX-5 was new as that is the first time I use any wheel locks. It’s mainly for a peace of mind and IMO the OEM ones look much nicer than the aftermarket ones in you link.

Cheap McGard wheel locks do not prevent thieves. Check the youtube and watch someone shows you how to break it with a 19mm socket.

McGard has since made a new version with a spinning outer ring.
McGard sell dealers "universal keys"... imagine when thieves have one.

Advanced wheel locks are considered the most difficult to defeat, so far.

Anyhow, I won't worry about alloy wheels unless you have expensive ones at four corners.
such as forged wheels...

I bought a set of fancy magnetic KYO-EI Dency 2000 wheel locks when I spent some money on "real wheels" back when I had my Lexus. They have since been discontinued. I used to street park my car when I lived in Calgary, so I wanted a little extra insurance. These days I'm parked in a garage at night, so I don't bother with wheel locks anymore.

Good post @ceric. The conventional locks are an illusion of security for sure.

I saw another video that mentioned the Harbor Freight Master Set:
1630451758659.png

Thieves don't even have to bother with the 19mm socket trick. Advanced Wheel Locks is a new company, only having sold their locks for about a year, but they look like the best out there.

I'd also add not to ever store wheel locks in the glove compartment which defeats the purpose of using wheel locks in the first place. A busted window is bad, a busted window and missing set of wheels and tires is way worse.

In all my years of car ownership (over 50 years now. Ouch. That's a long time...), I am proud to say I've never had a vehicle stolen, or wheels stolen, or a vehicle vandalized. I take the wheel anti-theft lug nuts off the day I get the car. They are a pain in the butt when I have to swap winter/summer tires twice a year.

When they're already on a car I'm buying, I'll use them, but I don't go out and buy them specifically. Any half decent thief can defeat them very easily so I don't see much value, but I also don't see how they make taking wheels on/off any significant amount more difficult. I'd say it adds maybe 10 seconds per wheel at most to use the lock key on 1 lug.

No… if someone wants to steal your tires these type of lug nuts are not going to deter them.

After extensive research, this is what I ended up getting. These are all locks. There is also an option with one lock per wheel and 21mm closed on the remaining.

it's worth it. They aren't that expensive and you aren't worried about professionals. If a pro wants your car they will flatbed it and it will be gone absurdly fast.

It only takes one time coming out and seeing your car on blocks or on the ground because some local druggies were too stupid to realize the shiny wheels aren't actually worth anything to spend $50 to make sure that never happens. These are to prevent the dumb morons looking for a quick easy buck.

With this tool your rims are gone in seconds :cool:
If you actually checked out the site for the specific wheel locks in question, they have a video of testing that specific tool trying to remove them, which fails. It can't get a hold on the cone shape of these locks.

I'd also add that although they show video testing 2 types of tools, and it mentions their locks are harder than the tools, there are many more tools with different designs, and methods to get these off. Anything an appropriate size with several hardened teeth would likely be able to get a bite on these and get them off. If something current doesn't already, I'm sure it won't take much to develop. Somebody has to be able to get them off when owners lose the key or buy a used car that doesn't come with the key.

The reinforced tool Gator grip with minipinds do the job, not the cheap Hong Kong version.

The reinforced tool Gator grip with minipinds do the job, not the cheap Hong Kong version.
So, again you didn't bother to look before responding. They used two different sizes of the Gator Grip branded tool. It doesn't engage on the cone shaped Advanced Wheel Locks. Not sure what "minipinds" are but assume you are just referring to the 54 spring based pins the Gator Grip has. They even specify themselves it doesn't work on round objects, and a cone is just a circle of diminishing size.

Back