Dipstick - Ever Notice This?

FYI, I just did a cold check on my 2020 after sitting for 24 hours. It read half way between the full and and low marks. Then I drove it 8 miles and rechecked after a few minutes. It read just a tad below the full mark, around a 1/16" - 1/8" below.
And you have a 2.5T? For the 2.5L, see hot / cold oil level comparison pictures in post #9.

I did 10k OCI on my Accord because that's what the minder told me. I'm at 100k now. No ill effects that I can tell at this time. Maybe more oil consumption than I would have had going 5k? I'm dialing back to 5k on all my cars. On the CX30, what would be the firs oil change? Wait for 5k or go like 1k-2k? I was watching a Toyota master mechanic recommend doing it at 1k for your new Toyota, then 5k intervals.

I hate the thought of "break-in crud" sitting in my engine until I hit 5k miles. So I'll be doing the free dealer change at about 1500 miles soon. I have a road trip coming up that will add about 1500 miles, so will do before this trip. Then 5 k/6 mos.

I hate the thought of "break-in crud" sitting in my engine until I hit 5k miles. So I'll be doing the free dealer change at about 1500 miles soon. I have a road trip coming up that will add about 1500 miles, so will do before this trip. Then 5 k/6 mos.
problem with that is how do you really know the dealer actually did the oil change. They see 1500 miles and think they can just charge you and not do it. Oil is going to look clean at 1500. You can see I'm not a very trusting person. I think I will do it at 1000, then bring it in at 5000 for the next one.

Always ask for empty oil containers and oil filter boxes, just like with used parts. Can they just bring other empty containers, sure, but less likely if they know you are monitoring.

FYI, I just did a cold check on my 2020 after sitting for 24 hours. It read half way between the full and and low marks. Then I drove it 8 miles and rechecked after a few minutes. It read just a tad below the full mark, around a 1/16" - 1/8" below.
The cold check is more accurate. The problem with checking soon after the car has been running is, the stick picks up oil that was splashed in the dipstick tube. The car really has to be off for an hour or more to see that it is a solid layer of oil on the stick without broken spots in the film of oil.

problem with that is how do you really know the dealer actually did the oil change. They see 1500 miles and think they can just charge you and not do it. Oil is going to look clean at 1500. You can see I'm not a very trusting person. I think I will do it at 1000, then bring it in at 5000 for the next one.
I changed my oil early the first two changes. It is probably more psychological than doing anything that will greatly prolong the life of the engine, but there is a lot more stuff in the oil filter on the first change. I cut open the filter each oil change and look. As for the dealership, they will change the oil. It's not like the mechanic will make more money if he just sits in a chair for 20 minutes and then returns your car.

DSC03964.JPG.png

The cold check is more accurate. The problem with checking soon after the car has been running is, the stick picks up oil that was splashed in the dipstick tube. The car really has to be off for an hour or more to see that it is a solid layer of oil on the stick without broken spots in the film of oil.
I have no problem getting a clear read on the stick when the oil is hot. It takes 3 or 4 tries and the stick needs to go in at just the right orientation to minimize scraping the side of the tube. I've found this to be case with other vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always ask for empty oil containers and oil filter boxes, just like with used parts. Can they just bring other empty containers, sure, but less likely if they know you are monitoring.
More often than not dealerships use oil from bulk containers, think 55 gallon drums. They're not going to show you any empty containers.

Good luck with your 'free' oil change.

I guess that after over half a century of building auto engines, Mazda (and most every other vehicle maker for that matter) doesn’t know that.

The problem is that oil expands when hot, so if the level is low and you check it cold, the level will appear to be lower than it actually should be.

Attachments

• 864788CB-0653-4CEB-8DF7-0D6E96306FED.jpeg
    864788CB-0653-4CEB-8DF7-0D6E96306FED.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I guess that after over half a century of building auto engines, Mazda (and most every other vehicle maker for that matter) doesn’t know that.

The problem is that oil expands when hot, so if the level is low and you check it cold, the level will appear to be lower than it actually should be.
But when the engine is cold, more oil has drained back to the oil pan and the oil level will be risen. It basically offsets the volume reduction on cold engine oil. Besides the volume expansion and reduction on engine oil by temperature change isn’t that significant like the ATF. That’s why we need to measure the ATF level at specific temperature, but not on engine oil.

Ford's fix is to tsb the dipstick by moving the "L" lower so it appears normal.
And Mazda fixed the oil rising issue on its SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel by replacing with new dipstick with a higher ”X” mark and told diesel owners not to worry about oil rising over the “Full” mark until the level reaches to the “X” mark.

It boils down to individual preference. This debate has been revisited a few times here already. Some people can't read the dipstick on a warm engine, so they check it cold. Others can read the oil level when warm with no issue.

The only thing to note is that, as you mentioned, Mazda specifies when to check the oil level, and it isn't when the engine is cold. Saying that the cold check is "more accurate" is false. It's easier for those who can't read the dipstick on a warm engine, but it's less accurate according to the authority (Mazda). This isn't a matter of opinion, its a statement of fact.

It boils down to individual preference. This debate has been revisited a few times here already. Some people can't read the dipstick on a warm engine, so they check it cold. Others can read the oil level when warm with no issue.
Yes, to each their own.

The only thing to note is that, as you mentioned, Mazda specifies when to check the oil level, and it isn't when the engine is cold. Saying that the cold check is "more accurate" is false. It's easier for those who can't read the dipstick on a warm engine, but it's less accurate according to the authority (Mazda). This isn't a matter of opinion, its a statement of fact.
But the fact is Mazda has never mentioned that to check the oil level when the engine is warm. They only stated “wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan”. So when I waited overnight making sure most oil has returned to the oil pan and checked the oil level the first thing in the morning, where did I violate Mazda’s statement? :unsure:

9BEFBE38-4F36-49CF-BD1F-3C62BC795860.jpeg

But the fact is Mazda has never mentioned that to check the oil level when the engine is warm. They only stated “wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan”. So when I waited overnight making sure most oil has returned to the oil pan and checked the oil level the first thing in the morning, where did I violate Mazda’s statement? :unsure:

View attachment 300349

I think it's pretty obvious what they mean when they tell you to warm up the engine in the previous step. But if that's the way you want to interpret it, that's fine. It's your car, do what you want.

it's amazing how worked up some people get here about maybe a 1/8" difference on the dipstick marker.
try this: check your oil in the morning after it's been sitting overnight (take a picture of it); now get the engine nice and hot, let it sit for 20 min (the oil will still be really hot), note the dipstick and take another picture of it. I promise that that the difference between the two be negligible

Back