Cross shop CX-5 with 2022 Hyundai Tucson?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
A lot of comparisons with the 3 or 4 usual suspects, but what about the Tucson. New model seems to have some of the sexiness of the RDX and may have better driving dynamics than the CR-V or RAV4? - dunno, never drove the current Tucson. There is an N coming out, but for now it's just the trim, with possible N-Line engine shortly after . The N-Line in the veloster is 275 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, while the N-line in the Sonata is a 290-horsepower with 311-lb. ft. of torque.

I can see this priced at about the level of the Signature.

Through personal observations and auto writeups, reviews, long term tests, etc., it appears that Kia's and Hyundai's don't age well either. They look great when new, but deteriorate rapidly, and depreciate rapidly.
The new Tucson is a first year new model, and you know what they say: Stay away from first year models. I'd wait a while and see how it shakes out.

I'm not a fan of the new design language. Coupled with the recall issues Hyundai has had/is having, it's an easy pass for me, personally. But they do have an excellent warranty.

FWIW, I re-cross shopped what I considered almost all the competitors when my first GTR was rear ended & totaled. It just made me feel that much more confident that I made the right decision when I bought my replacement GTR.

Mazda being a small company I believe tries harder and gives more for the money. Their reliability is right up there with some of the top like Lexus and Infiniti. My CX5 is just right for my needs.

^^ I think you mean Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura. Infiniti is actually not a reliable brand. They were back in the late 90s early 2000s before the Renault takeover. Then they became crappers steadily to this date.

When I went searching for my next new-vehicle in early 2019, I went to the Toronto Car Show and sat in all the comparable vehicles to what I was looking for.

I could *not* find a vehicle in with any autombile manufcaturer that came anywhere near as close in terms of fit and finish and interior 'feel' in terms of high quality as I did the CX5.

The RAV4 felt way too .. old and ugly to me. The Hyundai's felt cheap and the seats were very plushy and the leather seats felt like a very low-quality.

The CRV felt old and the screen felt overly large with bezels so large that it made no sense to me.

The only vehicle I felt warranted my love was the CX5.

Hyundai/Kia's game is to offer a strong warranty and change the styling every 2 years. As noted above, the interiors are cheap and resale value is pitiful.

They are always "five years behind" the Japanese OEMs. In five years, that will probably still be the case.

Notice that in their redesigned cars, Kia has "borrowed" alot of their interior styling cues from the latest Mazda3.

A lot of comparisons with the 3 or 4 usual suspects, but what about the Tucson. New model seems to have some of the sexiness of the RDX and may have better driving dynamics than the CR-V or RAV4? - dunno, never drove the current Tucson. There is an N coming out, but for now it's just the trim, with possible N-Line engine shortly after . The N-Line in the veloster is 275 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, while the N-line in the Sonata is a 290-horsepower with 311-lb. ft. of torque.

I can see this priced at about the level of the Signature.
The N-line Tuscon isn't getting a more powerful engine. I was hoping for this, but recently read (https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-hyundai-tucson-n-line-first-look-review/) the 2.5 is all we get other than a hybrid (which does have more power but still won't touch a CX-5 with the 2.5T). I was planning on checking one out when my lease was up next year, but decided to stay with the CX-5 and upgrade to the GT Reserve instead. The KIA Sportage will likely have a more powerful option as it has always been the sportier of the two. A 2.5T Sportage with the 281hp motor would be a great competitor to the CX-5. As to quality issues, two of my coworkers - one with an older 5th generation Hyundai Sonata 2.4 and one with a 3rd gen KIA Sportage (loaded turbo AWD model) have had stellar experiences. Both would buy another in a heartbeat. All cars have quality issues at times (look at the 2018 CX-5 2.5 blown head gasket issues all over the boards).

As to quality issues, two of my coworkers - one with an older 5th generation Hyundai Sonata 2.4 and one with a 3rd gen KIA Sportage (loaded turbo AWD model) have had stellar experiences. Both would buy another in a heartbeat. All cars have quality issues at times (look at the 2018 CX-5 2.5 blown head gasket issues all over the boards).
While I agree that all manufacturers have some quality issues, Hyundai/Kia engine issues are systemic, far higher than other manufacturers. They pretty much cant keep engines on the shelf, even prior to the manufacturing nightmare that is Covid. As such, I've avoided them altogether and stuck to Honda, Toyota, and Mazda when I cross-shopped.

In relation to the topic, nothing offered the safety ratings of the CX-5 Signature with the power and reliability I was looking for. The 2.5T punches way above the belt for its package size.

All cars have quality issues at times (look at the 2018 CX-5 2.5 blown head gasket issues all over the boards).

This seems like an exaggeration. Blown head gasket was a problem with the diesel CX-5 and you'd be hard pressed to find any in the US. Not aware of any head gasket problems with the NA 2.5 petro engines.

I test drove a 2022 Tucson. Car drives well. Similar to the CX-5. I like the exterior as well. But the car has too much black gloss in the interior. Also didn't like the rear turn signal lights being located on the bottom of the bumpers.

The interior looks too busy. I love the simplicity of the cx5. It’s also slower and does not handle as well. Not as fun to drive

All cars have quality issues at times (look at the 2018 CX-5 2.5 blown head gasket issues all over the boards).

This seems like an exaggeration. Blown head gasket was a problem with the diesel CX-5 and you'd be hard pressed to find any in the US. Not aware of any head gasket problems with the NA 2.5 petro engines.
Nope. The 2.5 gasoline motor.... guess you haven't seen this thread?

Nope. The 2.5 gasoline motor.... guess you haven't seen this thread?

So it sounds like a small batch of 2018MY recieved defective cylinder heads from the supplier. Happens all the time, in every industry.

It also sounds like Mazda stepped up in every situation to correct the problem when it was found.

Again, I'm not seeing a systemic issue occurring here?

Back