Anyone install heated mirrors on their 2016/2016.5 CX-5?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed OEM heated mirrors (specially the glass) on their 2016s? I know there was a write up a few years back but it wasn't that detailed and I was wondering if anyone else could share their experiences.

In the old threads, they mentioned that the CX-5 already has the wiring for the two leads. So my question would be:
  • What gauge wire is best?
  • Is the heat warm enough to melt snow and defog the mirrors?
  • What kind of connectors are best for a secure installation? I saw spade connectors being mentioned

I was able to get the wiring up to the mirrors themselves, but I had a problem sourcing the mirror glass itself. Every part fiche directed me to the wrong part number, so I was never able to complete the project :( .. to add this was a 2015 or perhaps a 2015.5 I'm not sure as we don't have it anymore.

I was able to get the wiring up to the mirrors themselves, but I had a problem sourcing the mirror glass itself. Every part fiche directed me to the wrong part number, so I was never able to complete the project :( .. to add this was a 2015 or perhaps a 2015.5 I'm not sure as we don't have it anymore.

Finding the mirror glass with the heating function was actually the easy part for me haha. See links:
"With blind spot monitor, with heat"

Okay, so I decided to take apart my CX-5 today, especially the front door trims and also the the mirror glass. Based on what I found, I don't think that the door is pre-wired for heated mirrors and it looks like the wiring harness that leads from the engine area to the door is something that would need to be replaced completely in order for heated mirrors to even take place. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think:

Mirror housing wiring:
1599764062785.png

1599764085552.png

Wiring
1599764188271.png

Pins:
1599764220097.png

Back of mirror (Blindspot monitoring with no heat):
1599764301623.png

Two pin connector:
1599764313780.png

Inside the mirror housing assembly:
1599764367010.png

1599764382874.png
1599764395788.png

1599764409230.png

I have a 2016.5 CX5 Sport and I'd like to know if I can replace the mirrors with heated mirrors. Can someone educate me on if the wire harness is ready for heated mirrors? Does every CX5 model have a different harness?

Okay, so I decided to take apart my CX-5 today, especially the front door trims and also the the mirror glass. Based on what I found, I don't think that the door is pre-wired for heated mirrors and it looks like the wiring harness that leads from the engine area to the door is something that would need to be replaced completely in order for heated mirrors to even take place. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think:

Mirror housing wiring:
View attachment 226930
View attachment 226931

Wiring
View attachment 226932

Pins:
View attachment 226933

Back of mirror (Blindspot monitoring with no heat):
View attachment 226934

Two pin connector:
View attachment 226935

Inside the mirror housing assembly:
View attachment 226936
View attachment 226937View attachment 226938
View attachment 226939

Dig, did you replace your mirrors? What did you decide after researching the wiring?

Nick

Dig, did you replace your mirrors? What did you decide after researching the wiring?

Nick

I actually ended up not doing anything with it since it seems more complex than I had originally anticipated. There doesn't appear to be any wiring for the heated mirrors that leads into the door itself.

Would still be interested in doing this if someone could walk me through.

I actually ended up not doing anything with it since it seems more complex than I had originally anticipated. There doesn't appear to be any wiring for the heated mirrors that leads into the door itself.

Would still be interested in doing this if someone could walk me through.
Thanks for the reply, Ok, same here, i'd also like to learn what it takes to replace the mirrors with the heated option.

I am the one that did the write up on my 2014 years ago. I now have a 2018 and I plan on taking the doors apart soon to see if it is true that the wiring is no longer there. I saw the pictures above, but I want to get in there with my test light. Once I get the ambition up I'll post the results both here and in my original thread.

I am the one that did the write up on my 2014 years ago. I now have a 2018 and I plan on taking the doors apart soon to see if it is true that the wiring is no longer there. I saw the pictures above, but I want to get in there with my test light. Once I get the ambition up I'll post the results both here and in my original thread.
Sounds good. Do you know what color wire might be for the heat?

Sounds good. Do you know what color wire might be for the heat?
According to my old write up, which I just noticed the images have disappeared again after spending hours putting them all back in last week, the wire is red with purple. I don't see any such wire in the images above, but again, mine was a 2014.

Ok, I have confirmed that the wires are indeed there on my 2018 Touring.

This shows my test light detecting that the rear defrost button was turned on.

test light.jpg

This image shows the exact pin I am testing on the 2018. I did not strip the wires underneath yet to determine the wire color, but you should be able to figure it out from this image.

pin 7.jpg

View attachment 299420

This image shows the exact pin I am testing on the 2018. I did not strip the wires underneath yet to determine the wire color, but you should be able to figure it out from this image.

View attachment 299421
Awesome, thanks! So now the question is do all the mirrors have the same wiring plug? Thoughts on ordering heated mirrors to plug and play? I'll also pull the door panel and check my plug with a test light to see if it goes hot with rear defrost. All good info! Thanks for doing this.

Awesome, thanks! So now the question is do all the mirrors have the same wiring plug? Thoughts on ordering heated mirrors to plug and play? I'll also pull the door panel and check my plug with a test light to see if it goes hot with rear defrost. All good info! Thanks for doing this.
The image of the plug in my old 2014 in my 'how to' thread looks the same, but honestly it is a really bad image.

View attachment 299420

View attachment 299421
I confirmed my blue/red wire at that same pin location is hot with the rear defrost circuit. Going to order heated mirrors and give it a try. I'll keep you posted!

I know this is an old post, but did you ever get this working?
In theory if there’s one wire which is hot when the rear defrost is on, it should be doable as long as the connector is the same with the same pin arrangement.

The only problem to me is these heated mirrors with BSM are pretty expensive nowadays, $141.57 MSRP on driver side only.

In addition, from my experience using heated mirrors on my 2016 CX-5 GT they’re not effective at all. If I don’t scrape off the accumulated ice first then the ice will be there all the way when wife drives the CX-5 to work for her 45-minute driving. I can’t feel any warmth on both sides of the mirror when they’re on, not like the heated mirrors on my 2000 BMW 528i and my past 2001.5 VW Passat GLX.

Back