CX-9 2nd row Captain's Chairs Question

I am thinking seriously about trading in my 2016 CX-5 for a 2021 CX-9.
I have a daughter who just finished her freshman year at college and it is currently challenging to move here back home in one trip / one vehicle.
I'm hoping to get the TOURING trim to keep my costs down.
I've owned a 2010 CX-9 in the past. I've never had any 2nd row Captain's chairs and it is not really important to me.....yet so many of the Youtube CX-9 videos feature those.
Unfortunately I have not been able to view a video that shows what the vehicle would look like if one or both of those chairs collapsed into the floor to provide more cargo space. Do they? Should I just get a bench 2nd row?
Thanks everyone! :cool:
Steve

The more I think about it....I don't want Captain's Chairs. With a college kid going back and forth from NJ to VA, I don't want cargo from the back sliding forward between the Captain's Chairs!
Not interested in them.
I'd be interested to learn what trim or purchasing tips you folks will share with me regarding my desire to get a CX-9 with a blind spot system, power lift gate and 2nd row bench seats....yet not spend the money for the highest trim levels.
....and, it seems like roof racks are not included in any of the models on my dealer's website.

Last edited:
I think the Touring trim would be the right move for you. The alternative would be the GT, which adds the following for an additional ~$6200:

- Kick to open liftgate
- Better headlights (AFS)
- Fog lights
- Windshield wiper heaters
- Power-folding side mirrors
- Chrome trim pieces
- Roof rails
- 20" wheels
- Interior LED accent lighting
- Frameless rearview mirror
- Paddle shifters
- Moonroof
- 2nd row retractable window shades
- Interior aluminum trim pieces
- 8-way power adjustable driver's seat with 2-position memory (Touring has 6-way power adjustable, no memory)
- Heated 2nd row seats
- Ventilated driver and passenger seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Bose audio
- 2 extra USB ports in 3rd row
- Navigation and Sirius XM
- Wireless charger
- Different instrument cluster
- 360 camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Driver Attention Alert and SCBS-R

Or you could get the Touring and add the optional Premium Package for $2060, which includes:

- Fog lights
- Moonroof
- Bose audio
- Sirius XM
- Wireless charger

It looks like roof rails are included on the GT, but the rails, crossbars and rack can be added to the Touring for $650 (or just the rails for $450).

I think the Touring trim would be the right move for you. The alternative would be the GT, which adds the following for an additional ~$6200:

- Kick to open liftgate
- Fog lights
- Chrome trim pieces
- Roof rails
- 20" wheels
- Paddle shifters
- Moonroof
- 8-way power adjustable driver's seat with 2-position memory (Touring has 6-way power adjustable, no memory)
- Heated 2nd row seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Bose audio
- Wireless charger
- 360 camera

Or you could get the Touring and add the optional Premium Package for $2060, which includes:

- Fog lights
- Moonroof
- Bose audio
- Sirius XM
- Wireless charger

It looks like roof rails are included on the GT, but the rails, crossbars and rack can be added to the Touring for $650 (or just the rails for $450).

Just for the record, I used Mazda's Build and Compare tool on the MazdaUSA.com site to get this info.

- Kick to open liftgate
- Fog lights
- Chrome trim pieces
- Roof rails
- 20" wheels
- Paddle shifters
- Moonroof
- Heated 2nd row seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Bose audio
- Wireless charger
- 360 camera

- Fog lights
- Moonroof
- Bose audio
- Sirius XM
- Wireless charger

"Touring" with the optional "Premium Package" would probably be the best. Thank you @sm1ke
With the "Premium Package" there would be no moon roof???

Last edited:
The moonroof is included in the Premium Package. Without it, in the standard Touring trim, there is no moonroof. IMO, the main reasons to get the PP are the moonroof, audio, and parking sensors.

The moonroof is included in the Premium Package. Without it, in the standard Touring trim, there is no moonroof. IMO, the main reasons to get the PP are the moonroof, audio, and parking sensors.
Thanks for spending time on this thread and helping me! Reflecting back on your prior post, is your use of the words "rail" and "rack" interchangeable?
Adding just the "rails" would mean the raised bars that go on the edge of the roof from the front to the back?

Last edited:
Thanks for spending time on this threading and helping me! Reflecting back on your prior post, is your use of the words "rail" and "rack" interchangeable?
Adding just the "rails" would mean the raised bars that go on the edge of the roof from the front to the back?

Of course, no problem! :)

Yes, by "rails" I mean the ones that run front to back. You can add those to the Touring for $450. Mazda also sells the "rack" aka the cross bars that mount to the rails for $200.

Steve, do any of your local dealers have an on-line inventory to search? How is the inventory of CX9s in these unusual days? The on-line inventory might not be 100% accurate--my car was too new on another dealer's lot to show up--but it may help you see what you can find.

Safe travels!
I am back online. Yesterday as we traveled from NJ to VA my wife pointed out that I always want to trade my car in when it starts needing new brakes...new spark plugs....new this...new that...She suggests I LEASE a CX-9 instead of purchase with a 5 year loan....only to trade it in at year 6. Thoughts on that anyone??

I think if it suits your lifestyle, go for it! There are a lot of members here who buy/finance with the intent to keep the vehicle for a long period of time. If you find that you're itching to get into a new vehicle quite often, leasing could be a better fit.

That said, I've heard that Mazda typically doesn't have the best leasing options.

I think if it suits your lifestyle, go for it! There are a lot of members here who buy/finance with the intent to keep the vehicle for a long period of time. If you find that you're itching to get into a new vehicle quite often, leasing could be a better fit.

That said, I've heard that Mazda typically doesn't have the best leasing options.
Quite often is relative. I am happy to keep a vehicle until it reaches 75,000 miles. Then instead of $390 oil changes because there us always something expensive that needs to be done each time...at THAT point I would rather sell/ trade that 75,000 mile car while it still can fetch SOME money and then get and enjoy a new one😉

Should I consider leasing this?
Message_1622046861548.jpg

The Toyota might be more value for leasing but I really like the CX-9 😎

I would agree. I personally would never buy a Highlander based on my dad's experience with his, but YMMV.

Also for the record, I have a 2018 CX-9 and I spend about $45 per oil change because I do my own. The dealer (any dealer) loves to upcharge you for services just because they can. There is a lot of money to be saved just from doing your own oil and filter changes (as well as doing your own cabin and engine air filters).

Back