New 2021 CX-5 GT - Love it now after some changes

:
MAZDA CX-5 Touring
Hello guys, I just got a 2021 CX5 GT and I love it. I was originally gonna get the Carbon Edition but for an extra $550 I went with the GT, and I'm glad I did.

One issue with the sound, the bass sounded horrible. I went to upgraded and I noticed the weight on it, lighter than my previous Bose subwoofers from Mazdas.
I opened it up and sure enough, the subwoofer is much, much smaller and lighter than the 2019 (Bose system). So I swapped it with one I had laying around (Bose Sub) and man, what a difference.
Also, I changed the center speaker with one that has more bass. What a difference. I tried two different JBL's ($50-$70) and the sound was so so. At the end I ended up with a full range 3" speaker and what a difference. And the price was about $10, a steal https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I cannot believe that Mazda is cutting on quality but then again, its about profit I guess.

I'm not crazy about the info system, it crazy that it doesn't have a touch screen, but the clear, sharp screen is really nice. Much better that the ones on the new Rav4, CRV and others.

I already upgraded the rear view mirror as well with one that has a compass built in.
Installed a class II 2 inch hitch and the wiring harness as well. BTW, I installed the hitch I used I my 2014-2016 CX5, and it fits.
Added roof racks, splash guards and tinted the windows too.
Waiting for the all weather mats (weathermats)

Decent ride, fun to drive and super quiet and comparison to the competition.

So the center dash speaker was easy to swap out? I understood Bose systems were difficult to upgrade due to proprietary amps, but maybe not in the CX-5. The comment on the sub is interesting as we also had a '19 GT which was traded for a '21 GTR. I don't notice any difference in sound quality between the two Bose systems.

...I cannot believe that Mazda is cutting on quality but then again, its about profit I guess....

I can believe that it’s actually about controlling the purchase price. Sure, Mazda could upgrade the sound system, the seats, the paint, the tires, the brakes, the interior, the engine and transmission. But then so many consumers would complain that the price was almost the same as a Lexus or Acura. Not every buyer expects premium sound, most really don’t care. I consider the sound system pretty great, certainly better than that in my former BMW.

I bought my Mazda partly because they don’t do things like every other car maker. If I wanted a true highline car I’d have kept my BMW or Infiniti. For now I enjoy driving my CE - a lot. I’m glad you modded yours to fit your personal needs - that’s what it’s all about!

So the center dash speaker was easy to swap out? I understood Bose systems were difficult to upgrade due to proprietary amps, but maybe not in the CX-5. The comment on the sub is interesting as we also had a '19 GT which was traded for a '21 GTR. I don't notice any difference in sound quality between the two Bose systems.
Yes, the center speaker is really easy to swap, but you must spice the wiring unless you get the adapter. Not hard at all. Send me a PM if you need help.
It took me over 30 minutes because I kept testing three different of speakers (JBL)and at the end I was very please with my choice. The sound is richer, a bit more in the midrange sound instead of sounding like a third tweeter.

Me and my son noticed the lack of bass right away in the CX5, not much bass. Again, as soon as I removed the Bose sub I noticed the weight right away. I lifted the two Bose subs and I noticed the big difference.
Today I added an old Subaru subwoofer under the driver's seat and the sound got even better to my taste.

I do not enjoy loud noise, I do prefer quality sound and I'm very happy with my changes. I really cranked the volume up and the sound was not distorted at all, really nice. The Bose on my CX5 sounds much better than the premium sound in my other ride, a 2020 Subaru Forester Sport.

I really love the CX5, the design, handling and the insolation from road noise (window glass) are the biggest attractions.

I also think the bass is a bit on the lean side. I’m thinking of buying a powered sub and splicing it into the wires at the sub location. Also, I assume the grill just pops off to get to the dash speaker? What is the size of the original speaker.. was there plenty of room for the GRS? I think the highs are a bit weak in the CX-5, just as the base is.. so i'm afraid the GRS's may make things worse for my ears.. but i guess it's worth a try for $10. I was also looking at the Infinity REF-3032's. They appear to have more highs... not sure if it'll fit.. but i assume it would.

I don’t want to run any new wiring or take the car apart since I’ve only had it for 2 weeks. I’m just trying to do the simplest, but most effective upgrade possible.

Thanks. Matt

Last edited:
Back