Firmware for 2018 CX-9 and Instructions?

Hi all,

We just purchased a 2018 CX-9 touring. The dealership was a pain to deal with and we ended up with a lot of features missing from what we originally wanted.

We do not have remote start or apple car play which was initially installed on the first car they showed us which miraculously after 3 hours of bad negotiations wasn’t ‘available’.

Anyways we are a week in with the car and it’s great but the usb hubs do not charge our iPhones and it’s becoming a big pain on long commutes to bring along power packs and charge them etc.

I want to do the carplay update myself and the remote start update myself.

We went to the dealer today to get our license plates and set up a appointment to update our firmware. We currently have version 70.00.367. Other forums imply we can have a free update from the dealer under our extended warranty. They refused to do it. I have no understanding of why. They fought us tootH and nail for 30 minutes even though we have the warranty and have the entertainment electronic warranty too. To say I’m pissed is the understatement of the year.

Does anyone have a copy of the newer firmware we would need for the carplay and remote start with instructions?

Yikes, sorry to hear about your experience with the dealership. I'm sure someone here will chime in with some more information, but in the meantime, I would contact Mazda Corporate and file a complaint regarding your experience with the dealership. Then, if possible, I'd suggest using a different local dealership in the future.

Yikes, sorry to hear about your experience with the dealership. I'm sure someone here will chime in with some more information, but in the meantime, I would contact Mazda Corporate and file a complaint regarding your experience with the dealership. Then, if possible, I'd suggest using a different local dealership in the future.
Thanks. I intend to do just that.

Here is the link on how to update the firmware.

Post in thread '70.00.335 Firmware'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/70-00-335-firmware.123868319/post-6695355

I might be wrong but it looks like 367A is the latest version. So you might have the latest (or the second last). Honestly if it working fine and you version is recent enough to support Apple carplay and Android auto, there is no real need to update, the updates are more bug fixes than anything else.

the usb not charging is strange. They should definitely still charge your phone (although slowly). Maybe check the fuse to see if it is working.

you can easily do remote starter and carplay yourself. I’ll post links to those when i have more time.

Here is the link on how to update the firmware.

Post in thread '70.00.335 Firmware'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/70-00-335-firmware.123868319/post-6695355

I might be wrong but it looks like 367A is the latest version. So you might have the latest (or the second last). Honestly if it working fine and you version is recent enough to support Apple carplay and Android auto, there is no real need to update, the updates are more bug fixes than anything else.

the usb not charging is strange. They should definitely still charge your phone (although slowly). Maybe check the fuse to see if it is working.

you can easily do remote starter and carplay yourself. I’ll post links to those when i have more time.
I don’t know if this version supports carplay. That’s why I’m posting :)

Yes it should support it without any issues. Carplay was implemented before that version.

here is a good post for the DIY install. That post and the following posts should guide you pretty well in the install.

Post in thread 'Apple CarPlay and Android Auto'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...rplay-and-android-auto.123864083/post-6622061
Im kinda nervous to be messing with this but it’s absolutely a nightmare to not have my phone charging on these commutes. Come on it’s 2021 why do i have to bring a power pack on a car ride????

I think it should still be charging without carplay. The carplay upgrade only increase the voltage of one of the USB.

I think it should still be charging without carplay. The carplay upgrade only increase the voltage of one of the USB.
It discharged my phone. The dealership wouldn’t do anything about it. They were rather rude about it too. Saying oh well the charging symbol is on the phone so it’s fine

That is very odd. If the charging symbol is on your phone, then it should be charging. But the bluetooth and other phone functions may be using power faster than it is charging (depending on phone and what you use, etc). You can test the charging by closing everything on your phone (cellular data, wifi, bluetooth, etc) and plugging it in. You will see if the % go up after a while or not. This is not fast, this is the equivalent of plugging it in a computer USB 2 port. (and.. I know this is 2021, but your car was designed in 2014-2015, and most likely built in 2017.)

If they really don't charge fast enough then the quick solution for your power bank problem is to buy a 12V charger (that plug in the cigarette lighter on the passenger side). They are dirt cheap and will charge your phone very fast and there are even models with multiple USB connection on them if you want to charge more than one phone. You lose the USB connection to the media player for music, but it works just as well if not better over bluetooth anyway, so not really a loss. And you can keep your phone in the front compartment instead of having it in the cupholder or the armrest.

That is very odd. If the charging symbol is on your phone, then it should be charging. But the bluetooth and other phone functions may be using power faster than it is charging (depending on phone and what you use, etc). You can test the charging by closing everything on your phone (cellular data, wifi, bluetooth, etc) and plugging it in. You will see if the % go up after a while or not. This is not fast, this is the equivalent of plugging it in a computer USB 2 port. (and.. I know this is 2021, but your car was designed in 2014-2015, and most likely built in 2017.)

If they really don't charge fast enough then the quick solution for your power bank problem is to buy a 12V charger (that plug in the cigarette lighter on the passenger side). They are dirt cheap and will charge your phone very fast and there are even models with multiple USB connection on them if you want to charge more than one phone. You lose the USB connection to the media player for music, but it works just as well if not better over bluetooth anyway, so not really a loss. And you can keep your phone in the front compartment instead of having it in the cupholder or the armrest.
So I did a 2 hour drive with my phone on 49%. By the time I made it home- it was 3% plugged in the entire time with just Bluetooth on. I have a cigarette usb lighter and it kept the phone ok but lost 2-3% on a short 30 min drive. My older car (accord 2013) charges my phone completely in 33 minutes from 10%. It seems silly to have a luxury vehicle compared to the baseline old accord not be able to charge me up. It was rather frightening to drive to and from a unknown area with no way of knowing if my phone would make it to familiar territory on the way home before the damn car discharged the entire thing.

That is very odd that the cigarette lighter charger wouldn't be able to maintain and charge you battery during your drive. There is no difference as far as know between a CX-9 cigarette lighter and a Honda Accord cigarette lighter. The only scenarios I can think off that could do that are related to your phone or charging set-up.

1. Either your phone battery is at the end of its life.
2. You have apps running that are a huge drain on your power usage when driving.
3. (Most likely to me). You have a bad charging cable or bad connection.

You can try swapping charging cables to see if that makes a difference. You can also download the Amperes app on your phone, that will show you the performance of the charger. And you can compare from car to car or using different cables.

2. You have apps running that are a huge drain on your power usage when driving.

You can try swapping charging cables to see if that makes a difference. You can also download the Amperes app on your phone, that will show you the performance of the charger. And you can compare from car to car or using different cables.
Ya, agree with you there.
I'd start with a new cable.
Then close any apps that are running in the background. This is a common issue with people btw.
I know so many people that never close their apps, and then wonder why the phone is so slow.
My wife is guilty of that on her ipad.
Lastly, the batteries on all phones lose their holding power over time. If the phone is a few years old, then the battery is not at it's peak holding power anymore.

That is very odd that the cigarette lighter charger wouldn't be able to maintain and charge you battery during your drive. There is no difference as far as know between a CX-9 cigarette lighter and a Honda Accord cigarette lighter. The only scenarios I can think off that could do that are related to your phone or charging set-up.

I’ve swapped out the cable. My phone charges fine in our other cars and is relatively new apple 11, I had Bluetooth connected for calls and turned on google maps on and off to make sure I wasn’t lost. This is the only car I’ve been in in the last 10 years that won’t charge my phone via usb or cigarette. I’m buying a new converter for the cigarette lighter and upgrading to carplay either way. The placement of the cigarette lighter is kinda crappy for a driver but oh well.

Interesting. I still can’t wrap my head around why the cigarette lighter charger would behave differently from car to car. I have no issues of that sort in my 2018. Keep us posted if the new converter makes a difference.

The placement of the cigarette lighter is kinda crappy for a driver but oh well.

Ain't that the truth.

I've been using the 12v socket on passenger side to charge both of my phones on my 2018. One phone is over 4 years old, the other is less than 3 months old. Both phones will charge just fine. When running apps with heavy battery usage, both phones will still charge, just at a slower rate. I haven't updated the infotainment since I got the car (still on version 50.XX). I have never used the USB to charge.

This is a related thread that states that the issue was due to a bad USB port assembly that was replaced by the dealer. It also shows the location of the fuses for the front and rear accessory ports, in case you haven't checked those yet (but if you're able to get a charging symbol on your phone when you plug it in, the fuses are probably fine).

If you're upgrading to ACP/AA, the hub/USB port assembly that is included in the kit may resolve the issue.

About your extended warranty and entertainment warranty...read the fine print in your contracts. I'd be surprised if it gives you updates, but if the contract says so, you should get them. If the contract doesn't say so, you won't.

What does the entertainment warranty cover that the extended warranty doesn't? If they overlap significantly, can you cancel and get a refund? Most of us get little or no value from extended warranties. Are you within a refund period? The main benefit of these warranties (legally they are prepaid repair contracts, not warranties) is a fat profit for the dealership and a good commission for the guy who sold them to you. In any case they only cover what is explicitly stated in the contract regardless of what the salesman said.

Hi all,

We just purchased a 2018 CX-9 touring. The dealership was a pain to deal with and we ended up with a lot of features missing from what we originally wanted.

We do not have remote start or apple car play which was initially installed on the first car they showed us which miraculously after 3 hours of bad negotiations wasn’t ‘available’.

Anyways we are a week in with the car and it’s great but the usb hubs do not charge our iPhones and it’s becoming a big pain on long commutes to bring along power packs and charge them etc.

I want to do the carplay update myself and the remote start update myself.

We went to the dealer today to get our license plates and set up a appointment to update our firmware. We currently have version 70.00.367. Other forums imply we can have a free update from the dealer under our extended warranty. They refused to do it. I have no understanding of why. They fought us tootH and nail for 30 minutes even though we have the warranty and have the entertainment electronic warranty too. To say I’m pissed is the understatement of the year.

Does anyone have a copy of the newer firmware we would need for the carplay and remote start with instructions?
Have the same issue with USB hubs in my 2018 CX9

Back